Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I looked at the photos on their website. They don't live in a home, they live in a factory/school building. They have lockers, game room with commercial gaming gear, they eat in a cafeteria equipped with a soda fountain, etc.. It doesn't even look like a home. The kids are put on display like monkeys in a zoo.

How can that be called a family?
A factory?

But all other things that are politically correct are called families as we are forced to accept by mass media?

Personally, I would have loved a soda fountain in my house when I was a kid. Had a friend who had an ice cream fountain and popcorn machine in her home & I thought she was the luckiest thing on earth. And they have pinball machines & one of those soccer game things...that's fun for any kid!

Monkeys in the zoo are taken care of a lot better than kids w/ drug addict parents, alcoholic parents, and so on.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
But all other things that are politically correct are called families as we are forced to accept by mass media?
This is by far my favorite comment on this thread so far! EXACTLY! But that's the way the leftist mind thinks . . .

Old 01-28-2010, 03:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
I looked at the photos on their website. They don't live in a home, they live in a factory/school building. They have lockers, game room with commercial gaming gear, they eat in a cafeteria equipped with a soda fountain, etc.. It doesn't even look like a home. The kids are put on display like monkeys in a zoo.

I'm really sick of hearing about the Duggars, Octo, Kate and her ego, etc.. A bunch of freaks IMO.
So this is okay...

But raising children in a home this nice looking is not?

My point is, neither of these two lifestyles would be MY choice - neither of them appeal to me whatsoever. BUT, I am truly tolerant of, and respect other peoples right to live the way THEY feel called to live.

Some of you people should think about what true respect and tolerance mean.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
A factory?

Personally, I would have loved a soda fountain in my house when I was a kid. Had a friend who had an ice cream fountain and popcorn machine in her home & I thought she was the luckiest thing on earth. And they have pinball machines & one of those soccer game things...that's fun for any kid!

Monkeys in the zoo are taken care of a lot better than kids w/ drug addict parents, alcoholic parents, and so on.
I'm not a politically correct person. I don't believe in it. Makes people too thin skinned.

All kids would love a soda fountain in their house, but having one is just plain irresponsible. Soda isn't the best choice for kids to drink on a regular basis.

Monkeys in the zoo may be taken better care of than kids with drug addict parents, etc., but in the end, those kids are going to suffer because of being the monkeys.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:35 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Do the Duggar girls ever wear pants? They even go swimming in dresses. Very strange....looks like something out of Little House on the Prairie. I even saw one where they ran in some 5k race and the girls couldn't wear running shorts or pants, they were running in dresses. Weird.
I was thinking the same thing. I understand they want to be "modest" but really girls in skirts running a 5k, couldn't they at least wear capris? And the guys had to wear jeans for it...basketball shorts come down past the knee... I couldn't run a 5 in jeans..well ok I "could" but eeehh very uncomfortable.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
this has happened on every single Duggar thread on here. you express your opinion, and you are judging them. All anyone does on this forum is express their opinions. Opinions about certain people earn your the label "judgmental"

I think we've been on the same threads a few times.

I would fall into the 'judgmental' group. It seems like they should now have 3 children under the age of 4 and Michelle is over 40---IIRC. I would have been certain long before now that God wanted me to stop having children--cannot understand this woman.

#19 was born prematurely--1 lb 6 oz--or thereabouts--she had a gallstone attack which stimulated early labor. The child wasn't due until March and remains in the NIC unit. Hopefully things will go well but I know I wouldn't have any more children.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:51 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
TLC has the most useless programs on TV. All these shows about Dwarfs. Okay, so they are little people eating dinner. I don't think regular sized people eating dinner is interesting so why is it cool to show little people doing this?

Same for abnormally large families. Do I care you have 19 kids that all look like stepford children? There is something sad about the mother having 19 kids and these shows are pitched like it's awesome. Let the big ones take care of the little ones.

All I want to know is how the **** a guy has enough money for 19 kids. Where do they live, Ohio or PA or somewhere really cheap?

Honestly who cares? I just don't find this necessary or interesting programing.

I just don't watch TLC anymore.

I don't agree with anyone having 19 kids but if they want to, we really shouldn't have a say. Just don't put them on tv!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
Quote:

I'm really sick of hearing about the Duggars, Octo, Kate and her ego, etc.. A bunch of freaks IMO.

Of course it's a home! They designed and built it themselves (with some help). I'd love to have lockers to store school stuff in, rather than in a pile by the front door . And my kids would love the games. The Duggars also have a regular kitchen area , as well as the commercial one (in the area w/ the soda fountain).

There are more than a few girls and women who prefer to wear dresses and skirts only. I personally wear pants/shorts almost exclusively, and some prefer dresses-it's not always just a religious thing.

I like this family. Of course, they are a family. No soda fountain changes that

Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
TLC has the most useless programs on TV. All these shows about Dwarfs. Okay, so they are little people eating dinner. I don't think regular sized people eating dinner is interesting so why is it cool to show little people doing this?

Same for abnormally large families. Do I care you have 19 kids that all look like stepford children? There is something sad about the mother having 19 kids and these shows are pitched like it's awesome. Let the big ones take care of the little ones.

All I want to know is how the **** a guy has enough money for 19 kids. Where do they live, Ohio or PA or somewhere really cheap?

Honestly who cares? I just don't find this necessary or interesting programing.

I just don't watch TLC anymore.

They live in Arkansas. They shop at thrift stores --I do, too but have a somewhat different economic philosophy.

I haven't watched TLC in months and don't miss any of their strange programs.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:07 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I think there can be a happy medium between dressing like a hooker and dressing like a nun in a convent.

Now dressing modestly is dressing like a nun? Give me a break!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting