U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,833,178 times

Advertisements

I agree with the time out- then ignore. I believe a minute per year is what is recommended. I used to put mine in a little chair in the corner- facing the corner. He couldn't stand it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,992,915 times
I'm just hoping that those who opt for ignoring their children while JR throws a fit mean only inside their own houses and not in public...

RIGHT?

Old 05-28-2007, 04:58 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If you're in a public situation when this happens, go to a restroom or out to your car or whatever....don't punish everyone else in the store or restaurant to make a point, but don't give in. I'm sure anyone in any public place who has had a child will understand your dilemma - we've all had kids that did this.
Yep, can't be stressed heavily enough....now airplanes are another story! Don't get on one with me, the Worst Child In The Universe always sits behind me...

Old 05-28-2007, 05:40 PM

3,413 posts, read 7,833,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I'm just hoping that those who opt for ignoring their children while JR throws a fit mean only inside their own houses and not in public...

RIGHT?

Agreed- never ignore when the child is annoying othersl.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 PM

402 posts, read 1,993,833 times
Yep, definately not in public. Every time I bring my four year old somewhere (with or without the 2 year old, they're definately worse together!), the whole way there, at least 2 or 3 times,
"what's the rules?"
"if we're bad we leave!!" (and he always adds..."and we can't go back!")
"are you going to be good or bad?"
"GOOODDD!!"
And, thank goodness, 95% of the time, he is. And if he's not, then we leave!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:30 PM

625 posts, read 1,522,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
mbuszu, I'm not spanking him. I'm asking for help because I don't want to spank him yet; I'd like to find other strategies for behavior modification.
Why do you plan to spank at all?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:59 PM

8,703 posts, read 3,500,299 times
I agree with Sam I Am's every word. That's the best advice ever, IMO.

Ignore! I know it's easy to say. It may be heartbreaking to listen to your own child scream and cry. I know, been through this. But my son learned his lesson quickly. Yours will too, if you're consistent.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,302,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
The biggest thing, CONSISTENCY CONSISTENCY CONSISTENCY!
This is, by far, the biggest problem for most parents. We tend to discipline one time for a certain offense, then NOT discipline the next time for the same exact offense...this does nothing but confuse the child. You have to be consisten EVERYTIME if you want to be effective

Hope this helps!

This cannot be said enough. I have 5 and I think I have to relearn this lesson at least once a month! I also like what someone else said...set the rules first. This might be hard with a one hear old, but I think it's important for a child to know the rules of the moment. If you are going to a store, what is allowed. Tell them up front and stick to it. I also think that a real hard one for parents is when you go "over board". If you don't stop that right now, we're leaving the store. (Now your child know that the probability of leaving the store when you have a basket full of much needed groceries is pretty unlikely, but if you say it, you better do it!!!!!)

Old 05-30-2007, 01:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,755,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
My son is one and seemed to suddenly begin with little fits. I really don't feel that he'd make the connection between spanking and his fit. Does anyone else have advice on what to do when he throws a tantrum for not getting what he wants. In comparison to many toddlers, his tantrums are nothing, so I don't really have to worry about not being able to physically control him. Still, I don't want him to protest like this!
Usually when a 1 yr old has tantrums it is because he can't express himself completely to let you know what his issue is he can't say what he wants or portray to you the importance of the issue

This usually (I say again usually) let's up when the learn to talk better

don't worry though a whole new set of tantrums will start with a whole new set of rules

Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,493,282 times
All of the above posters have some great ideas. Redirection was and still is a favorite of ours, even at age 3. Sometimes the time-in theory is just as good to calm me as it is for my lil one Often I have had to just walk away to keep from pulling out his little toenails! One thing we did to reduce his frustration was teach him some simple sign language to communicate (****, eat, thirsty, banana, etc...). You would not believe the difference this made. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or