Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,530,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
If you're having the party at a place (like Chuck E Cheeses or a gymnastic school or a craft place or anything like that) it's going to run you upwards of $200 ---- more likely $300 when all is said and done.

We did parties twice for my daughter when she was little 5 and 7. After that, it was her choice: She could either have a b'day party or we could go to a B'way show and dinner. She chose B'way show and dinner (a great choice, by the way!).

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. I think one party and the rest of the time a Broadway show and Dinner. We took her to Radio City this year and her expression was priceless!!!

Wonderful advice.......from everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
I'm a WAY older mom or 2 7 year olds, kids number 6 and 7. We had a few parties for all the older kids but most were family parties at home. We then had a pool and even if their bd was in the middle of winter we had pool parties in the summer.
Now with these girls we have had only family parties and know what? they haven't suffered at all. We make it special with balloons, music, etc and even if it is only the 4 of us (all other kids are scattered) it is just fine. They once went to a Chuck e Cheese and were miserable with all the wild kids and noise and whenever invitations came to parties like this they said they did not want to go.

One has a feb bd so I make mini cupcakes and buy fruit drinks and take them to school to celebrate. I have even given party favors. This way there is a "party" the kids have fun, it doesn't cost me much and we don't end up with a house full of useless gifts they don't need. f course I ask the teacher first. Seems to work for us. The summer bd girl seems happy with family events. Neither one has ever asked for a bd party and they have been to many.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:54 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,411,134 times
MY children get family parties every year for the birthdays. Not kid parties, as I think it's a bit strange throwing a party for hundreds of dollars for my son and tons of kids from his class of whom i barely know.

We take our kids out of school on their birthday and my husband and I treat them to a special day just us and that child. We have done museums and zoos etc....It's a fun tradition and the kids love it!!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,786,235 times
When I was a little kid my Dad threw huge parties for me, and my two brothers as a combined birthday party/charitable event. He invited a bunch of kids from an orphanage and bought presents for all of them, hired clowns, and other entertainment, and cooked hot dogs on a grill. I think he did this twice. I hated it and since then have always hated big parties. I remember hiding in my room until it was over. I would not have minded these events if my birthday celebration had been left out of it.

Ever since then, the most special birthdays were just the family and maybe one or two friends, my choice of dinner, and a homemade chocolate cake. To this day it is still how we celebrate birthdays and my son enjoys the same thing.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,019,038 times
Hi Blue - I'd suggest asking your daughter what she would like. It's her special day. She might surprise you! Maybe suggest a few things and let her decide?

If you do a party, I suggest keeping it small. The more guests you have, especially at that age, the more hectic things become.

As far as cost - we've always budgeted $200 for birthday parties. Honestly I have no idea how we came up with this number... but it's what we've done for years and years (our oldest is 15) and it's worked out fine. In fact, this year our youngest - knowing our annual budget for his birthday - exclaimed that he didn't want a birthday party (he's at that age where he's feeling like a "big kid" now and for some reason thinks birthday parties or only for "little kids") and instead he just wanted the money so he could open up his own bank account like his older sibling has! lol Just give me the money!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM

664 posts, read 1,943,542 times
I think first you should do what you guys think is best...BUT... I am all about birthday parites with lots of kiddoes. They are a pain in the but and I don't know about the rest of you but man do we feel whiped out after having a ton of kids over..but the way I see it kids only turn 5-6-7 etc once. And before you know it they are like most adults who kinda thinik oh another birthday year, yea me.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
We take our kids out of school on their birthday and my husband and I treat them to a special day just us and that child. We have done museums and zoos etc....It's a fun tradition and the kids love it!!
That is such a cool idea. I've never thought to actually take them out of school on their birthday. Do you tell the office that they are sick? Or just the truth? I don't usually support taking kids out of school for non-serious reasons... but birthdays are different. What fun memories that must be for the kids!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,411,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
That is such a cool idea. I've never thought to actually take them out of school on their birthday. Do you tell the office that they are sick? Or just the truth? I don't usually support taking kids out of school for non-serious reasons... but birthdays are different. What fun memories that must be for the kids!
Their birthdays don't allows fall on weekdays but whatever day their actual birthday is they get to pick where they want to go and we send the other children to school.

This year we are taking our son who will be turning 6 to NYC for the day to go to the museum of natural history (he loves dinos) and then out for lunch.

I just call them out of school that day. They don't usually ask why I just call and say "so and so wont be in school today" but I know last year my son told his teacher all about his special bday trip. The school doesn't seem to mind, it's not like a week long vacation, just a day trip...

With my DD it doesnt matter as her birthday falls during the summer.

BUT I'll admit it's worked out GREAT and its better then paying for a present they may or may not use.
The kids love having one on one time with us and they think it's neat that "Daddy always takes the day off on my birthday."

Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Their birthdays don't allows fall on weekdays but whatever day their actual birthday is they get to pick where they want to go and we send the other children to school.

This year we are taking our son who will be turning 6 to NYC for the day to go to the museum of natural history (he loves dinos) and then out for lunch.

I just call them out of school that day. They don't usually ask why I just call and say "so and so wont be in school today" but I know last year my son told his teacher all about his special bday trip. The school doesn't seem to mind, it's not like a week long vacation, just a day trip...

With my DD it doesnt matter as her birthday falls during the summer.

BUT I'll admit it's worked out GREAT and its better then paying for a present they may or may not use.
The kids love having one on one time with us and they think it's neat that "Daddy always takes the day off on my birthday."
That is awesome. Experiences shared are worth so much more than material things!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 AM

92 posts, read 345,380 times
I really struggled with ideas for my daughters 4th birthday this year. In the end we had a family dinner with both sets of grandparents and one of her uncles. She had a blast and received minimal gifts. I felt bad about not doing anything with her friends so I called her two close friends (their moms are also my good friends) and asked that we all spend a day together to celebrate my daughters B-day with one stipulation- no presents. I dont think thats what birthdays should be about and I don't want my friends/her friends spending money on gifts for my child when she already has so much. We did have a 'special' dinner- she wanted strawberry pancakes and birthday cake. I'm not sure what we will do next year but I am sure it will be along the same lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting