U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM

128 posts, read 147,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
When I was a kid in the 80s, there were definitely fat kids, and guess what, they existed in the 1960s and 70s too...and now that my kids are in school, it doesn't seem like there are many more fat kids now than when I was in school.

But I will agree, people are eating more processed garbage these days...and this ties into my posts on other threads about kids being stuck in daycare when both parents are working....if more parents sacrificed so a parent could be home with their kids rather than shoving them into daycare for 9 hours a day, then maybe they'd have the time to actually cook a meal rather than bringing home pizza, McDonald's, or making microwave dinners.
I agree with you, but I have a problem with those people that say they can't make a meal after they get home from work. I work full time, and don't get home until about 6 pm. I usually pull some type of meat out of the freezer before I leave for work, and so when I get home, it's thawed and ready to be cooked. I make chicken & rice, meatloaf & baked potatoes, spaghetti, stir-fry, sloppy joes & sweet potato fries, fish & something (usually a pasta), etc...and YES, everything has veggies with it (usually more than one, and NOT corn! Broccoli, mixed, real carrots, the whole nine...usually not canned veggies, but I love canned green beans).
I also just make plain old tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I use the crockpot on a regular basis- because anyone can throw a roast with potatoes and carrots and have it cook all day. Crockpots are nice for a whole chicken as well. We usually don't have the same thing more than once every 3 weeks.
I don't want to 'sacrifice' my way of living (and no, it's not over the top, no boat or ATV's or anything here, and only a modest, but nice home) to make sure that my kids eat properly. I just make sure it's a priority to feed my kids to the best of my ability instead of thinking I need to stay home to ensure it.
BTW - just because a parent stays home with thier kids does not mean that they eat any better than the kids that have two working parents.

So, eventhough we do eat fast food occasionally, it is really important to me that my kids eat wholesome, home cooked dinners - since I work all week long, it also gives us a chance to sit down and actually talk to one another.
And, it doesn't hurt that my man really appreciates the way I cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,694,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm all for personal responsibility, but I think it fails to consider the daily assault on any effort to eat a healthy diet from an industry that is bound and determined to thwart us at every opportunity. I'm a generally strong person with a solid knowledge of nutrition and a SAHM with time for cooking to boot, but even I have trouble withstanding the onslaught.
Moderation.

We do not have family health issues, allergies or major concerns in our family, so, I do it all in moderation.

I enjoy Christmas cookies, Valentines candy and so on. I don't eat a bag of Dove's dark chocolate & 2-3 pieces does me fine. My kids are the same way.

Of course the media and groceries stores have a huge role to play. But, I don't give into it 99% of the time. Our local grocery store had frozen pretzels that you can heat up on sale & I had a $1 coupon this weekend. Cost me $0.25 for the box. Not even the most nutritious things but it's a rarety I buy these sort of things. On the flip side, my kids will enjoy the treat and that will be that.

As for the cooking aspect of it, it can be managed no matter what the work situation. I do understand that moms who work have a huge juggle & time constraint, but a healthy meal can be accomplished and many do it.

There are lots of temptations out there and lots of irresponsibility, but at the same time, if you are of sound mind & body, you can provide a healthy lifestyle w/ occassional treats for your family. If you have healthy problems, mental problems, severe economic problems...it's not such an easy thing.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, I'm really not trying to be defensive so I'm sorry if that's how it's coming across. As I said, we have a neighbor with whom we are quite close and I see what they have gone through with their daughter. And I see posts that disdainfully refer to "the fat kid" they see here or there and how they shouldn't be allowed to do this or that and I guess I just see a face to "the fat kid" and know some of the other issues, like some other posters have mentioned. Yes, of course we all ought to eat better and healthier and live a more active lifestyle. I abolutely agree with that. But it really does make me feel sad when I see the judgement and disdain from people who seem to think it's only the "fat kids" who need to change.....
I find it quite sad that the term "fat kid" needs to be used by supposed adults. What's next...the "ugly kid" thread?

Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

16,974 posts, read 11,916,529 times
I used it in quotes because I feel exactly the same way - it sounds like something off the middle school lunchroom. I can't believe adults speak like that about children they know nothing about.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,682,813 times
Mind you any parent that restricts their childs food gets told that they are bad and that they are too controlling.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM

I highly doubt the OP is an adult or someone who is truly concerned about the state of childhood obesity & the role of parents in it.

I only initally replied b/c I saw a few reasonable sounding responses & of course, you replied

Our kids have so many temptations out there that they are bombarded with the moment they are out of our womb. There is the team that goes on way & completely shelters their children thinking that will somehow help them. Then there is the team that goes the complete other way & doesn't give a flying fig. Honestly, I just hope I stay in the middle lane all along. That is all I hope for as I go through this roller coaster ride of parenting!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM

550 posts, read 781,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I find it quite sad that the term "fat kid" needs to be used by supposed adults. What's next...the "ugly kid" thread?
Why pretend like there is nothing wrong when some kids for example have trouble running up half a dozen of stairs?

Being uggly is something you cannot control, weight is someting you can definatly control.

The combination of a nutritionally balanced, and in ammounts individually calculated diet and exercise can make anyone without preventive injuries (such as damaged nervous systems from carcrashes etc) go up or down in weight after the goal they set.

What I wanted to see when creating the thread really was how broad the faction of people blaming genetics was. (as a convenient excuse rather than scientificly based opinion). So now you know :P

Hmm I may have stressed the exercise part of this matter too little, good some people brought it up.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
Why pretend like there is nothing wrong when some kids for example have trouble running up half a dozen of stairs?

Being uggly is something you cannot control, weight is someting you can definatly control.

The combination of a nutritionally balanced, and in ammounts individually calculated diet and exercise can make anyone without preventive injuries (such as damaged nervous systems from carcrashes etc) go up or down in weight after the goal they set.

What I wanted to see when creating the thread really was how broad the faction of people blaming genetics was. (as a convenient excuse rather than scientificly based opinion). So now you know :P

Hmm I may have stressed the exercise part of this matter too little, good some people brought it up.
Please state the scientific research that proves everyone can definitely control their weight.

You won't find it b/c it's not true.

Do you have children and are you over 18? Just curious for the terms "fat kids" was used more than a few times in your post & reminds me of the teeangers down the street.

Or is this something you are learning in a high school/college human nutrition class?

Your statements may have some fundamental book knowledge, but lack any realization that life isn't contained and controlled in a 250 page book.

Sorry, it's not one size fits all in childhood obesity or with in children in general.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,342,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm very familiar with Cushings Disease. And yes, the Cortisol production is way out of whack.

But that's a rare disease.
While it may be a rare disease, corticosteroids causing the same side effects are used left and right, often as panacea for conditions that don't even warrant it at all!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post

Some children have health problems.

Oh, you can control being ugly. Go get some plastic surgery.

See, there are answers for everything.

Reality is a whole different topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting