Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM

92 posts, read 345,655 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently disagreeing on bed time snacks for our 4 yr old daughter.

We usually eat dinner around 5-5:30- healthy meals. Then we play games, go to one of her sports (dance, gymnastics, or swimming) the home for a bath, bed time stories & snack, brushing teeth and then to sleep. I think its ok for my daughter to have a snack while we read stories but my husband doesn't think she should have one. What do other parents think? Her snacks are either grapes, bananas, baby carrots or some nights we will offer her a yogurt. She is also allowed to have water at bed time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
what are your husband's reasons for not wanting her to have a snack? Our kids are 4 and 6 and their bed time routine has morphed from nursing to bottle to sippy cup of milk before bed to a small cup of milk and a small snack (graham cracker, nilla wafers, etc) about an hour before we head upstairs to brush teeth and read books (around 7:00 pm). I personally would keep it away from the bed, but that's just me.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
I have only recently even heard of "bedtime snacks". Are the kids actually hungry or are they just eating out of habit? I personally wouldn't get into the habit of a bedtime snack "just because". If the child tells you she is hungry, then allow a healthy snack (although not in bed) or a glass of milk. Then do the story. Eating for the sake of eating (especially right at bedtime) is a bad habit to get into IMO - no matter how healthy the snacks are....

Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 PM

356 posts, read 916,449 times
What time is bedtime? To me, this is a very early dinner followed by a number of activities. She probably needs a snack. As long as the snack is healthy and before tooth brushing, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
What time is bedtime? To me, this is a very early dinner followed by a number of activities. She probably needs a snack. As long as the snack is healthy and before tooth brushing, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
I was thinking that too. I know after dinner at 5:00 I'd be hungry again by 8:00 or so.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM

128 posts, read 243,115 times
Default She's 4 years old?

And you eat dinner at a fairly early time, then take her to a sporting event....I think she is probably pretty hungry after her activity, so I don't see anything wrong with a snack before bed. Besides, you don't want your daughter to go to bed hungry, and it sounds like she's a busy little thing. And, you are making sure that she has healty food, not junk food.

I've had three kids, and they all got a 'snack' before bedtime. My oldest is 20, and my others are 13 & 9, and none of them have weight problems, adn are not dependant on food for comfort...the 13 yr old sometimes eats out of boredom, I think , but he gets plenty of exercise as well.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:36 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
I'd offer a snack upon returning from the activity BEFORE bath and story. You don't want her in the habit of eating just before sleeping.

I know someone whose grandmother was underweight. She was concerned as was her doctor. He told her to have a bowl of ice cream just before she goes to bed each night. Eating before bed is the quickest way to put on weight and ice cream has a lot of calories. She did, and put on weight.

She may not put on weight while little, but if it's a habit she carries into youth and adulthood, she may regret it.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:11 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I'd offer a snack upon returning from the activity BEFORE bath and story. You don't want her in the habit of eating just before sleeping.

I know someone whose grandmother was underweight. She was concerned as was her doctor. He told her to have a bowl of ice cream just before she goes to bed each night. Eating before bed is the quickest way to put on weight and ice cream has a lot of calories. She did, and put on weight.

She may not put on weight while little, but if it's a habit she carries into youth and adulthood, she may regret it.
you know,I always hear this,and I have eaten before bed my entire life and have never been fat, ever.To this day,and I'm a 53 year old woman, if I'm hungry at bedtime, I eat something!I just figure number of calories= number of calories no matter when consumed[maybe not all at once, but spread through the day] Maybe it's because I exercise first thing in the morning,I don't know. In our home, I try to keep mostly healthy food in stock, with a treat here and there. My children are encouraged to eat if they are hungry.Sometimes I even give them dinner at 4:30 and then they snack at 8:30.I personally feel that if people stopped being so rigid about specific meal times,and listened to their bodies,they would be alot healthier.I know it's harder with younger kids, and extra activities dictate when we need to eat sometimes also.I guess my point is,I'm wondering your husbands reasoning also,and agree that is an early dinner followed by physical activity.I know I don't sleep well if I'm hungry[or too full either]

Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
you know,I always hear this,and I have eaten before bed my entire life and have never been fat, ever. .I know I don't sleep well if I'm hungry[or too full either]
Wow, then you're a lucky one. I can't eat just before going to bed and I know a lot of people who can't.

I sleep very well when a little hungry, but not at all when I have eaten too late at night before bed.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
I also notice if I eat before going to bed, I wake up hungry; whereas if I go to bed a little hungry, I'm not nearly as hungry when I wake up in the morning....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting