Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times

Advertisements

I had a classic Tigger-style preschooler. He's still high-energy, but it's not as overwhelming as it was when he was younger. It wasn't a matter of tolerating or condoning his behavior. It's just that when he was on, he was uncontrollable, so my husband and I had to keep him out of situations where his energy would be disturbing to others. We both spent a lot of time outside restaurants allowing him to get his wiggles out between ordering and the arrival of our meals.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-05-2010 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I am dismayed that there has not yet been a comment regarding the role of restaurant management stepping into a situation where there is a disruption on the part of unruly children. I applaud the restaurant that provides such children with a puppy and a supply of caffeine. Their parents deserve no less. I'll pitch in an extra-loud toy fire engine.

Are there any reports of problems that were nipped in the bud by a gracious host? Or a manager who offers the family a free take-out meal if they will just leave immediately?
I kind of eluded to it in one of my posts earlier when talking about a restaurant that we go to but the maitre'd doesn't respond to "problems" as you mentioned because the staff are pre-emptive.
They seat us in the corner and are most accomodating about allowing us to set up a "rest tent" (pillows and blankets) for the children. They cover our table top with linen AND then white butchers paper on top of that AND they encourage the children to draw to entertain themselves and they take an interest in what they draw. They ALWAYS make sure to ask the children what they'd like for dinner and they make a big deal about explaining the menu to them AND always write up their order with a cheeky flourish AND they get the kids meals out FIRST and with very little delay.
IF they know they have to bring big trays or cakes with lighted candles or any array of potential dangers to the table they tell the kids & their parents BEFORE they bring it so the kids know to sit quietly. AND they make it all interesting and entertaining for the kids as well.

AND because they are so good at what they do, we tip BIG AND we always call ahead and let them know we're coming AND we keep coming back.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Perhaps because there was a time in the not so distant past that people did not take their children out to resturants until they were old enough to behave in a manner that did not disturb the dining experience of other patrons. It was done out of consideration and courtesy for others.

Today that kind of social awareness, courtesy, and consideration seem to have disappeared and signs of a "polite society" are becoming fewer and further between. People think about themselves more than the comfort of those immediately surrounding them.

Since this has apparently happened to you twice now and you don't seem to "get it" then what I am pointing out is likely lost on you and your wife.

Sad, really, that people today are so self-centered.
Thank you! I was going to write something, but you said it better than I could have.

OP, catch a clue (and by the way, I have children and they are very well behaved, even when they were age three).

Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Or a manager who offers the family a free take-out meal if they will just leave immediately?

I think that this kind of self-centered people who rear monsters are very much capable to abuse any kindness. I just can imagine a family to walk into a restaurant, order food for everyone and then start screaming at each other and let the kids do what they wanted just to get a free food.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,230,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I kind of eluded to it in one of my posts earlier when talking about a restaurant that we go to but the maitre'd doesn't respond to "problems" as you mentioned because the staff are pre-emptive.
They seat us in the corner and are most accomodating about allowing us to set up a "rest tent" (pillows and blankets) for the children. They cover our table top with linen AND then white butchers paper on top of that AND they encourage the children to draw to entertain themselves and they take an interest in what they draw. They ALWAYS make sure to ask the children what they'd like for dinner and they make a big deal about explaining the menu to them AND always write up their order with a cheeky flourish AND they get the kids meals out FIRST and with very little delay.
IF they know they have to bring big trays or cakes with lighted candles or any array of potential dangers to the table they tell the kids & their parents BEFORE they bring it so the kids know to sit quietly. AND they make it all interesting and entertaining for the kids as well.

AND because they are so good at what they do, we tip BIG AND we always call ahead and let them know we're coming AND we keep coming back.
You are actually trying to see that your children don't bother anyone else. Thank you very much!

I'm curious about situations where the children are clearly misbehaving and the parents are oblivious or worse. Have you seen any where the staff had to step in to "assist" the parents?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
You are actually trying to see that your children don't bother anyone else. Thank you very much!
You're most welcome but I don't actually have children.

I'm talking about my nieces and nephews AND the children of friends, who when we all get together make a rather large and potentially horrific group for other diners. And seeing as most of the time I am one of the "other diners" whenever I am out with the kids for a meal I do backflips to ensure that I've covered as many bases as possible so that we all have a good time, kids included AND nobody around us suffers unecessarily.

Quote:
I'm curious about situations where the children are clearly misbehaving and the parents are oblivious or worse. Have you seen any where the staff had to step in to "assist" the parents?
I have seen it happen once or twice. Most recently on my Qantas flight back from the US. I will say though that the parents involved weren't oblivious just seemed monumentally overwhelmed and I can't say I blame them. For whatever reason they had to fly it must have been horrific for the kids to sit out a 15 hour flight and whilst it wasn't great having them getting upset and understandably they would get the wriggles up and want to go running around, the flight attendants were very good, as were other passengers. So I'm not sure it qualifies as bad parents ignoring bad children and more like a difficult situation where everyone pitched in to make it more bearable.

I will say that whenever I am out with my family and the kids it never gets to that stage with the staff because I tend run interference first but who knows what goes on without the extra pair of hands?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:36 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:

Nope. Actually I never saw staff or restaurant owner to “step in to assist’ or try to resolve the situation. They will roll their eyes, but (at least here, in the US) only parents have say so in question of rearing children. Children are just a reflection of their parents. And sadly, many parents are unfit to raise children because they lack the means or life skills.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:51 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
No....we have plenty of rugrats running amok out in public here in Australia so guess they should be included.
Anglo-Saxon country again though... Even though you have a lot of immigrants.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Anglo-Saxon country again though... Even though you have a lot of immigrants.
No, we're pretty multicultural here. We may have started as an Anglo-Saxon county but when I eat out it's a veritable United Nations (Melbourne being one of the most multicultural cities AND with a huge restaurant culture) and I'd be loath to attribute it soley to Anglo heritage. I've seen plenty of kids from other backgrounds turn into monsters in public and parents that couldn't give two hoots about it. I really think it's a western civilization thing.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

I pity the pre-school teacher who has to deal with a dad like that when faced with a disruptive child !
What about the "disruptive child" who asks difficult questions about theology, or has an unorthodox view about the meaning of patriotism, or comes from a household in which the concept of marriage is not mainstream?

Disruptive is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.