Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khb5425 View Post
As a parent, would you pick up your child each time he/she cries or would you let him/her "self-soothe" until the crying stops?
How old is the child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
I have three children ages 10, 8 and 3 weeks. I've always picked them up when they cried.

My newborn is a bit fussier than her older sisters. She's up pretty much hourly to nurse at night. I've been picking her when she cries and bringing her into my bed to nurse so I can get some rest at the same time.

My older children began sleeping through the night at ages 6 weeks and 4 months. I think that the fact that I always picked them up when they cried helped them to relax enough to sleep through the night earlier than most babies.

As my children got to be toddlers I would typically go to their rooms if they cried and help them to settle back to sleep rather than taking them out of bed and bringing them to our room.

Different techniques work for different kids/parents but I think it's cruel to allow babies to cry for extended periods of time.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I always instantly respond to the cries of a newborn, because I feel it builds a trusting, placid, child when they feel secure that their needs will be met. As the baby gets older, there are times when you know for sure that all it's needs have been met...it's not hungry, wet or doesn't need to burb, etc. Then I will let him cry it out for a little while.
A toddler, however will play you like a harp if it thinks it will succeed in getting it's way, so then you need to be a lot firmer, but by then you know the child well enough that you will know when it's just being demanding.
This sounds like our approach. No letting them "cry it out" for the first 9 months, at least. Now my twins are 21 months and I don't jump every time they cry. They rarely cry at night now - only if something is truly wrong, like last night when one of them was a little sick from a cold. They cry now and then during play because one of them makes the other one mad. If no physical harm is being done, I don't run to the one crying and 9 times out of ten, he quits crying and they work it out on their own.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,960 times
It depends on the age of the child and situation. However, setting some boundaries with the infant early on is important. You don't want to have the infant forever attached to your arm. Letting the baby cry for a few minutes is not cruel. it's good for the child and for your sanity.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 13,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
How old is the child?

My child is 3 weeks old. My husband and I are trying to decide on our strategy for the upcoming months.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
My child is 3 weeks old. My husband and I are trying to decide on our strategy for the upcoming months.
Your "child" is actually an infant - you won't have to face this question for many months. Infants ALWAYS get picked up and attended to, it's how they learn to trust you as their caregiver.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,034 times
^^^ This. I did it with all 5 of my children. If they were hungry, I fed them. If they were wet, I dried them. If they were dirty, I cleaned them. If they just needed some loving, I loved on them.

It is such a change for them. They spend 9 months in our warm, cozy body. I believe they miss the closeness.

I know it can seem like all you're doing is feeding, changing and comforting your infant. Mine nursed every hour to 1 1/2 hours for almost the first month. A 2-3 hour stretch was HEAVEN!!

I would do it all over again, only this time I would take THOUSANDS of photos, instead of hundreds. I would take videos of them DAILY. Those days are gone before you know it.

Best wishes for you and your family.

~l~

Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
^^^ This. I did it with all 5 of my children. If they were hungry, I fed them. If they were wet, I dried them. If they were dirty, I cleaned them. If they just needed some loving, I loved on them.

It is such a change for them. They spend 9 months in our warm, cozy body. I believe they miss the closeness.

I know it can seem like all you're doing is feeding, changing and comforting your infant. Mine nursed every hour to 1 1/2 hours for almost the first month. A 2-3 hour stretch was HEAVEN!!

I would do it all over again, only this time I would take THOUSANDS of photos, instead of hundreds. I would take videos of them DAILY. Those days are gone before you know it.

Best wishes for you and your family.

~l~

Thank you

Old 02-17-2010, 04:44 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
I believe in "9 months in, 9 months on", ie you carry a child and/ or pick them up when they cry for at least the first 9 months after birth, because young babies like that have no concept of self-soothing, they will just cry until exhausted, and what ind of "self-soothing" is that??? Once they are around a year old, they start to understand what you want from them in terms of going to sleep etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
I would worry about right now, not the coming months.

A newborn is far different than an infant which is far different than a toddler.

At this stage, every few days is a new beginning.

As for a strategy, I'd throw that out the window the first few months. Not practical and you are going to end up being a wreck. Several months from now it would be more pratical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting