Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 13,230 times

Advertisements

As a parent, would you pick up your child each time he/she cries or would you let him/her "self-soothe" until the crying stops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:31 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Depends on the situation. Is it bedtime? Lunch time? Etc.... And how old the child is.
I swear I kind of made a high strung panicky boy out of my first child due to the fact that I would ALWAYS pick him up....Finally figured that out by the time he was 5 months and stopped doing that. Whew!
2nd child, so much more mellow and has such great self soothing abilities, possibly due to practice of it as an infant.
Or possibly due to both of their innate personalities....really I think it's a fine line.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,862 times
I agree it really depends on the situation and the child, not to mention age. Is the child hurt? I'd pick him up and soothe him. Crying out of frustration? I'd probably let him self sooth, less time if it was an infant (learning to reach a toy for example) vs a little bit longer if its a toddler throwing a tantrum (I's wait until he could calm down and use his words and let him know that it must be hard sometimes to not say what you want/ get what you want all the time.)

A blanket approach to all crying is not going to work. It needs to really be dependent on the variations above.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:23 AM

831 posts, read 1,582,782 times
When mine where newborns I held them a lot. As they got around 4 months if they would fuss in the middle of a nap I would rub their backs until the fell back asleep. At night I would feed them and rock them back to sleep. If it was a hurt cry I always pick up. If it is a 2 yr old temper thing I let them cry for a few minutes and tell them when they stop crying and kicking I will hold them. I never let them self soothe at night. But if it works for some I don't think it is a bad thing, just not for me.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khb5425 View Post
As a parent, would you pick up your child each time he/she cries or would you let him/her "self-soothe" until the crying stops?
depends on the age of the child, what time of the day, how long since he last ate, had a diaper change, slept, and what I happen to be doing at that very moment. very vague question.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:29 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
I'd pick up my babies when they cried. After a year or so, we'd start with some "self soothing" practice... I'd encourage them to snuggle with a blanket or one of my T-shirts a bit before going to get them, or I'd pat their backs and try to get them back to sleep. If they kept crying, I'd pick them up.

They're currently 9 and almost 7, and have no problems that I can tell from not being left to "self soothe" as newborns/infants.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Depends how old....

Old 02-15-2010, 03:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khb5425 View Post
It depends. The question is beyond open-ended..what is the age? when was the last feeding? is the baby wet? is the baby sick? is the baby teething? is the baby just cranky? is the baby annoyed? is the baby overstimulated?..really, the list goes on.

There is not a clear cut answer nor a right answer for every situation at any given moment is different for every single parent & infant/baby/child.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I always instantly respond to the cries of a newborn, because I feel it builds a trusting, placid, child when they feel secure that their needs will be met. As the baby gets older, there are times when you know for sure that all it's needs have been met...it's not hungry, wet or doesn't need to burb, etc. Then I will let him cry it out for a little while.
A toddler, however will play you like a harp if it thinks it will succeed in getting it's way, so then you need to be a lot firmer, but by then you know the child well enough that you will know when it's just being demanding.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i know people who not only do not pick up a crying baby, but they dont even check on their children at night, including their baby of less than a year old.
to me, i just couldnt do it. i remember when my son was under a year and cried and i tried to let him self sooth. guess what, he still cried and when i picked him up--he burped. he wasn't trying to be spoiled--SOMETHING WAS BOTHERING HIM!!!
i say pick up the baby, make sure all is well, and is he/she is still crying, then let them be for a little bit. don't let your child scream for an hour-- kids dont cry for no reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting