Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times

Advertisements

I agree. It's encouraging little girls to become high maintenance when they get older. I have seen on AOL news that Suri Cruise is wearing makeup and high heels. SHE'S THREE.

I have never worn makeup, my sister has since middle school. I have always looked 10 years younger than she, yet I'm a year older.

I also believe that the helicopter parenting lessens a child's experience in childhood. Their time is managed so drastically that the kids grow up not knowing how to spend free time and not knowing how to manage a schedule without parental interferance.

Another thing is these programs that supposedly teach infants how to read, and the push to get them educated before entering kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Marlow,

You and I are the same age and I remember when only "wealthy" women went to nail salons to get their nails done. It wasn't all this insane 3 inch long nails with things all over them, either. It was typically getting your cuticles "done', getting your hands massaged & having lotions/creams applied, getting polished, and getting that shiny clear stuff on top.

I also agree that this is all part of "growing up" but if you allow them these extravagances (facials, mani, pedi, Coach bags, iPod Touch, etc) at such young ages, what do they have to look forward to as they get older??? My daughter has asked for mani/pedi. I told her that when she's older and makes her own money, she can go get a mani/pedi every week. There's no way I'm paying for an 11 year old to have a "spa day" when I, at 48, have NEVER had one (and don't plan to!)

Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
No Excuses....

I agree.... this "trend" is causing girls to be superficial and high maintenance. What are they going to do when they get to be a little older and are tired of Coach and want Prada or Louis? Or when they decide getting a facial doesn't make their skin "pretty" enough and want chemical peels. The whole thing is just crazy.

Regarding the no makeup thing and you looking younger. You're right. If women knew the chemicals and what went in to creating their "makeup", they wouldn't wear it! I very rarely wear makeup (maybe 1 - 2 x/year) and my skin is smooth, wrinkle free, and looks just fine. My friend who constantly wears make up is younger than me by about 5 years and looks like she's about 10 years older --- her skin is destroyed, she's got more wrinkles than a sharpei dog, and her skin just looks dried out.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Marlow,

You and I are the same age and I remember when only "wealthy" women went to nail salons to get their nails done. It wasn't all this insane 3 inch long nails with things all over them, either. It was typically getting your cuticles "done', getting your hands massaged & having lotions/creams applied, getting polished, and getting that shiny clear stuff on top.

I also agree that this is all part of "growing up" but if you allow them these extravagances (facials, mani, pedi, Coach bags, iPod Touch, etc) at such young ages, what do they have to look forward to as they get older??? My daughter has asked for mani/pedi. I told her that when she's older and makes her own money, she can go get a mani/pedi every week. There's no way I'm paying for an 11 year old to have a "spa day" when I, at 48, have NEVER had one (and don't plan to!)
I agree with you about the Coach bags and expensive phones, etc., for kids.

It's just been my very limited experience (mother of one 11-year-old girl) that letting her get her nails done a couple of times has had no effect on her turning high maintenance or wanting to have it done all the time. Just the opposite, in fact. She appears to have gotten it out of her system for now.

She has asked a couple of times for hightlights and I've said "no," not til you're much older, and we don't let her wear makeup. It helps that there is a no makeup rule at school too. But the 3 or 4 $12 manicures she's had thrilled her and I haven't seen any negative repercussions yet.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
[quote=omigawd;12921588 There's no way I'm paying for an 11 year old to have a "spa day" when I, at 48, have NEVER had one (and don't plan to!)[/quote]

Soooo-since you never had one she can't have one? That makes no sense to me. Neither does saying no just to say no. What do you think will happen to her if she wears nail polish or a little mascara for a special occasion?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Momma_bear, are you aware the damage nail polish does to nail beds? Now start that on an 11 year old ... . And a 'little mascara'? Eye infections result and you want that in your child's eyes?

What would be a sufficient reason that a child of 11 wear ANY kind of makeup? There is none. An 11 year old child is beautiful by nature. Why make them think their beauty can be improved upon by artificial makeup? Why set them up to think that makeup will make them look prettier than they do naturally? They will live with that notion for the rest of their lives

Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Momma_bear, are you aware the damage nail polish does to nail beds? Now start that on an 11 year old ... . And a 'little mascara'? Eye infections result and you want that in your child's eyes?

Do you over react all the time or just when it comes to the little things in life, like nail polish and make up? Nail polish and mascara are pretty benign.

What would be a sufficient reason that a child of 11 wear ANY kind of makeup? There is none. An 11 year old child is beautiful by nature. Why make them think their beauty can be improved upon by artificial makeup? Why set them up to think that makeup will make them look prettier than they do naturally? They will live with that notion for the rest of their lives
Are you kidding me? I think you are making way to much out of a little nail polish and mascara on a special occasion. I promise a little makeup won't cause long term psychological damage.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Good grief. When I was young we had nail polish for kids. My DD wore nail polish from time to time as a little girl. She is a well adjusted young lady and neither of us has issues with nail beds. I get not wanting an 11 yo to go to school looking ridiculous but IMO banning the occasional nail polish is a bit over the top. Keep in mind that for the most part these little "spa days" are for birthday parties etc. Most little girls are not going on a regular basis and maintaining fake nails and French manicures...they are getting their nails polished and maybe a little flower painted on for their birthday. I don't see too much harm in that if not done all the time. How you present it makes all the difference. When my DD was about that age, we had a "spa" birthday party....but we did it at home. They had lunch and painted nails and soaked their feet and put "mud masks" on their face....they didn't leave the house but they had fun. It's just a girl thing....

Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They had lunch and painted nails and soaked their feet and put "mud masks" on their face....they didn't leave the house but they had fun. It's just a girl thing....
Apparently it is some sort of crime for girls to do girly things. If I had a little girl I would definitely take her with me to get her nails done every now and then. It's pretty cheap around here ($10 with a tip).

Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Girls this age are starting to grow up. There is nothing wrong with embracing it - better than making them ashamed. The key is embracing it gradually in age appropriate ways and emphasizing there is a time and place for everything. We didn't allow much make up until high school either. In middle school she was allowed brown mascara (she is fair and has short lashes - why oh why do boys always get the great lashes??) and lip gloss (I never considered nail polish make up). When she was allowed to wear a bit more, I took her to the Bobbi Brown counter at our mall - Bobbi Brown's make up philosophy for teens embraces a more natural look. She has a nice book out which I did buy my DD. You don't have to buy her brand of makeup but I felt it was a nice way to learn skin care and application without thinking you had to go the overly mascara'd and heavy eyeliner so typical of teen girls....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting