Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

Sexualizing young kids? Talk about a pedophiles dream...There is a line that is crossed between "cute beauty pagent and crass pimping of kids"...and this woman, definitely crossed the line.

I don't think that beauty pagents for kids are bad, my daughter was in one, a pagent for Coppertone, she wore a cute yellow swimsuit. She, and all the other girls, looked nice, normal, and cute...it was fun...not professional hooker look a like time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,032 times
They should outlaw all of these perverted kiddie pageants.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
While I really dislike these kiddie pageants, I just don't see this particular incident as that big a deal. She's playing dress-up! Part of pretending to be Dolly is putting on huge fake boobs. This is no more 'sexualizing' her than any costume would be. If the mom wanted the daughter to wear them all the time, THAT would be problematic, but this? Is just like when I put a cape on my son when he wanted to be Superman in a talent show.

I don't understand the kiddie pageant lifestyle, and wonder about the warped view it seems like these kids would develop, but this is a HUGE over-reaction to a little girl playing dress-up.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:55 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
This is way over the top. And I am suprised in this day and age that we allow our children to be used and abused in this manner. Childhood is for play,learning and imagination, not beauty pagents and showing off. What in the world does a 4 year old know about winning a beauty pageant? She should be home watching Sesame Street or playing on her swing set. Pageants are about the adults desires to one up each other and win. If we treated our children right, the pageants would be shut down right now. Women do not need to be paraded around at any age and judged on their looks. There is enough of that this poor girl will have to deal with when she gets older.

Though I can see the point of view that this might be playing dress up for the child, I respectfully disagree that this is all this is. Dress up is for home in mom and dad's old clothes for fun. It should not involve a fake set of breasts and being paraded around in front of strangers. If any of my children had played dress up and thought to include a fake set of breasts at age 4, my first worry would have been what sexual situation has she been exposed to? She is still a toddler at that age, for goodness sakes.

It's not the mother that needs arrested in this situation (though child services would be a good idea), it's the people that come up with these ideas in the first place and actually produce them.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
It's pathetic that some poor child has to have a parent who can only try to live through the child.

Why doesn't the mother just get out and do her own beauty pageant thing? Or is the mother too lazy, too homely and must use her child to try to accomplish what she herself never could?

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
There are so many things wrong with this. The fake hair, fake teeth, fake tan on those little girls is plenty bad by itself, but this crosses a whole new line.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
This woman belongs locked up in a mental hospital. Her child should be taken away from her. The surgeon that did this disfigurement should be imprisoned.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
This woman belongs locked up in a mental hospital. Her child should be taken away from her. The surgeon that did this disfigurement should be imprisoned.
They aren't real!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
This doesn't surprise me at all. It's simply the next step up from fake teeth, heavy makeup, tans, eyelashes, and hair.

Although I have a problem with "beauty" pageants in general, I think if they are going to exist for children, a little girl should win a prize for looking like a little girl. What's wrong with pigtails and curls and ruffles these days? I don't understand the obsession of dressing a child up to look like an overdone transvestite. They take what could be a beautiful girl and make her look ridiculous to me.

You would think, given today's awareness of pedophilia, more care and concern would be given to girls in pageants and that restrictions would be placed on how they look and dress.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
They aren't real!
Oh, I see. Save my remark re: the non-existant surgeon, my assertion stands. Mom is sick, sick, sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting