Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 07:46 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,466 times

Advertisements

so i just moved back home with my family and i have a job making a little under $30k, its not bad, but could be better. my ultimate goal is to move to atlanta. my current job has a location there, so finding a job isn't a problem. however, i dont have a car. im halfway towards my goal of saving up $1k for a down payment and i will need money for an apartment. however, im so stressed bc i live with my family, idk what to do. some people are telling me to get an apartment now, but i dont like living in this city because its very boring and i know if i get one now that's money i can be using for my atlanta apartment. so what do you guys suggest i do? either move now or when i really want to? i'll be 25 by the time I plan on moving to atlanta.....about 1.5 yrs from now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Are you stressed or just impatient? You sound more impatient and young. If you have a good job, I personally would save up more than $1K for a down payment. You are going to need a cushion when you move out. Living on your own is more expensive than you think - and in the city even more so. If you have the opportunity to start out at not so much of a financial risk that will serve you well IMO.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Are you stressed or just impatient? You sound more impatient and young. If you have a good job, I personally would save up more than $1K for a down payment. You are going to need a cushion when you move out. Living on your own is more expensive than you think - and in the city even more so. If you have the opportunity to start out at not so much of a financial risk that will serve you well IMO.

i'm 23, i lived on my own for 5 years at school, but thanks for the advice

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
As long as you and your family are getting along fine, I would say I agree with Maciesmom here. You are going to need as much of a cushion as possible especially in this economy.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
So you move to Atlanta now, get yourself an apartment and use public transportation for a while. Is that an issue? I'm sure there are many apartments available on a bus line or close to downtown transportation. Assuming you are spending some money now you could be putting it toward living where you want to be.

I say go for it.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I agree you should probably save up more than $1000 for a car. I don't know what your expenses are like, but it seems like, living at home, and not having a car payment at the moment, you should be able to save almost everything you make. It shouldn't take very long.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Don't buy a new car with a car payment. Save money and buy a used car. 30k isn't much money to live on. Having a car payment will make life more difficult for you.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
i'm 23, i lived on my own for 5 years at school, but thanks for the advice
Lived on your own and paid your entire way...or lived on your own and your parents paid tuition, rent, etc? Big difference.

Really living on your own without parental support and no family nearby to rely on is much different. Bills add up--rent, electric, gas, water, renter's insurance, car payment, car insurance, phone, cell phone, cable, school loans, whichever you have will all be your responsibility.

You should have a cushion of at least 3 months salary built up, plus I agree with whoever said a used car is better--check out Carmax, they offer extended warranties, too. If you live at home for another 1.5 years, you should be able to save most of your paycheck and be well off when you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting