Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
NEITHER.....should be she RECEIVED a new book every year.

NOTE; Word "can't"

Should have been "cannot" for proper old fashioned English.

Can't is the NEW SLANG used by many these days.
Can't is a perfectly "proper" contraction in standard english.

Thank you for proving my point.

A List of Standard Contractions in English - Common English Contractions - Informal Writing

Just because you "think" something isn't proper English doesn't mean anything.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:50 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thank you for pointing that out to her and I.
I am sure my grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors are easily found. I have never claimed otherwise.

I have also learned that educated, intelligent people come in all shapes, sizes and SPEECH PATTERNS. One of the smartest people I have ever met was a geochemist from Louisiana, and he certainly spoke non-standard English often.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I realize this is an OLD thread but I know NK still posts regularly so I am wondering how it turned out.

Oddly enough, I didn't find this thread by looking through the parenting forums; I found it because I Googled the phrase "child's teacher poor grammar". Why? Well, my older son just came in here laughing in an exasperated way, to tell me three things our 10 year old DD just said.

First, she was commenting on something he was doing and said, while laughing, "You look like the guy in this commercial I seen yesterday"

Then, when he and her brother both said something to her that she found funny, she responded with "You all both CRAZY!"

Then she told the cat "You best get off the counter!"

New teacher started in December and we have absolutely zero doubts as to where this is coming from. Normally DD's speech is a bit overly formal, and all of this is new, and not coming from peers. So thankful we are moving this summer but in the meantime, we're just going to have a talk with DD about how it's not always best to mimic speech after someone just because they are an adult.
I do wonder if we should say something to administration though.. or just let it be since there isn't much left of the school year anyway, and like I said, we are moving so she'll be in a different school regardless.

I had the very same issue with my DS. He was in second grade and a stickler for grammar.
He was paired with a teacher who regularly used double negatives, regionalisms, and whose sentences were laced with grammatical errors of every stripe, and wrong wrong words.

My son has, and had a good ear for grammar and language in general. His solution was to correct her. I found out about his little plan when I received a call from the principal of the school, to report my son's "rude behavior".

This was a phone call that she regretted that she ever made.

I reported the teacher's grammar and inquired as to her credentials. I also requested a transfer to another second grade class.

I followed up with a letter to the superintendent of schools. He was transferred to another class. The poor grammar on the part of the teacher.

I think it's inexcusable! The fact that your daughter is mimicking this substandard, colloquial, and downright ungrammatical speech, would horrify me!
Call the principal and tell her what you think and the impact it has had upon your daughter's language usage at home. Express your concerns to her. Ask what her solution would be.
The solution of just "accepting it", should not be an option.

I really understand your frustration!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I think it's inexcusable! The fact that your daughter is mimicking this substandard, colloquial, and downright ungrammatical speech, would horrify me!

Lol. I thought, "You best get off the counter" was fabulous.

We ALL use language that reflects our culture, our schooling, our families. We ALL mangle English. We ALL speak in a dialect that uses colloquialisms and is ungrammatical. Yes, it is necessary to learn the rules of grammar. But to think that any of us abide by those rules in everyday speech (including teachers) is giving people credit they don't deserve.

(Linguistics degree. I notice these things. "You best get off the counter" isn't something I was raised to say, and it's not common among my peers so I think it sounds homey and makes me think of sweet potato pie. In my dialect we'd say, "Yo! Dude! Down!" Double )

Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
My kids have picked up some poor grammar from classmates and from teachers.

I just correct my kids, the teachers should hear it from someone else. It is extemely rude for a student to correct a teacher in front of the class. If the teacher makes a mistake and the student has to say something, he should wait until he can mention it privately.

Another place that my oldest was picking up poor grammar was from the Junie B. book series. My youngest refuses to read those unless I give her a red pen and tell her to correct them.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:24 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,183,246 times
Quote:
Is it center or centre?

What about these two sentences below?
He seemed to be angry.
He seemed angry.
What is completely subjective about examples of two good usages? In any event, IMproper English is what it is.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
You think that teacher's grammar was bad, watch this.

This is beyond hilarious.

Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES - YouTube

Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Sorry. there is no place for colloquialism, regionalism, slang or poor grammar in the class room.

I don't care if this is "Would alluh yuz get on line, we don't have no time to fool around!" by a teacher in Brooklyn NY

or " Ya'll clear off your desks now, we're fixin' to have a test!" in the South.

Teachers should be held to a higher standard.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
It's OK, my smartphone has an app to fix my grammar.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,183,246 times
Quote:
It's OK, my smartphone has an app to fix my grammar.
Can you plug it in to your mouth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting