Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Just sick of the self-righteous and yet error ridden posts in this thread.

I would not take anyone's livelihood away for two words.

Clearly the majority of people in this thread would have a woman fired over TWO WORDS. Yet again proving why tenure is necessary.

A reminder about the FACT that this man held the highest office in the land and despite his near illiteracy at times, no one was calling for him to be FIRED.

A wildly appropriate one:

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" George W. Bush

Grammar Lessons from President George W. Bush
But you weren't there at the meeting. You don't know the entire conversation. From what I read, it was more than two words and the teacher couldn't even speak properly yet was grading down children for the very same thing. That doesn't sound like just "two words".

My mom was a teacher. She held herself to very high standards. I would most definitely expect the same from other teachers.

As for your so called example, George W Bush was not a teacher. And if you want to start in on gaffes, we can meet over in the P&OC forum because every single president has them. It really didn't make your point for you.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I once had a teacher that was from the south and said "y'all". Based on your reasoning I would say that as well. I do not. Not one single student in any of her classes suddenly started saying "y'all". Maybe we should have turned her into the principal for "incompetence" after all she didn't speak "proper" English.
I graduated from a large Georgia university. One fall quarter I had a room mate from Long Island, NY. It took her less than a week to start saying y'all.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I graduated from a large Georgia university. One fall quarter I had a room mate from Long Island, NY. It took her less than a week to start saying y'all.
I got used to it in about two weeks (I never started saying it) but I still to this day cannot fathom that it is singular. The folks from the south would change it to "all y'all" if they were talking about a group of people. Isn't it plural already?!?!?! They swear it isn't but I can see the word ALL right there.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
But you weren't there at the meeting. You don't know the entire conversation. From what I read, it was more than two words and the teacher couldn't even speak properly yet was grading down children for the very same thing. That doesn't sound like just "two words".
The two words were "went" and "gone" as per the OP.

Quote:
My mom was a teacher. She held herself to very high standards. I would most definitely expect the same from other teachers.
That is great that your mom, and all of the people in this thread HAVE NEVER MADE A MISTAKE. Really, totally awesome for them.

Also, it is pretty much bologna.

So lets take the mistakes that any teacher makes (because teachers are human), and your mother made them as well. And take those mistakes to their boss and demand they be fired because that mistake is the sum total of their career.

Quote:
As for your so called example, George W Bush was not a teacher. And if you want to start in on gaffes, we can meet over in the P&OC forum because every single president has them. It really didn't make your point for you.
No, he is POTUS. The highest office in the nation. And yet a teacher, barely out of college, a whopping 24yo, every minute, of every day, in every word, in every conversation, is being held to a higher standard. A standard that is PERFECTION. No mistakes allowed, EVER. Sorry teachers, doesn't matter if your nervous, or tired, or whatever if you make ANY mistakes EVER you should be fired.

And my whole point of bring up GWB, Obama and Steve Jobs is exactly that, EVERYONE makes gaffes. Gaffe is a good word choice, it is a synonym of "mistake". So it is forgivable in every profession but teaching to make a mistake. Good to know.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Since this thread has deteriorated into discussing past and present presidents' grammar...I think it's time to bring it to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting