U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

M is in 2nd grade. We moved to this distreict because it supposedly has the best schools in the state and our taxes reflect this fact.

Yesterday I had a meeting with M's teacher because she needs improvement in a few areas but mostly it is a lack of focus. Teacher showed me some papers where M used the words "went" and "gone" incorrectly, as in "I gone to the beach". I told her M is not around anybody who speaks this way and I wondered where she hears that kind of speech. Then teacher says she is having trouble with that particular problem with several kids in her class. We went on to a math paper and teacher says " See this problem here? I just had went over this concept yet she still had a few problems."

I very politely asked her if she realized what she said and she did not so again I politely pointed out to her what she said. She looked confused and said "Is that not correct?" I tried to soften the situation by making jokes about how I am very conscious of grammar and would never correct anybody in normal conversation but since she pointed it out on M's paper, maybe M is hearing it in class.

A few minutes later teacher used "had went" again and again I pointed out to her in a kind manner this error. She still didn't know it was wrong. I couldn't remember the exact rule but I did tell her you use "went" alone and "gone" with "had".

Two more times in our meeting this 24 year old teacher only in her second year of teaching used "had came" and "they gone to lunch". I decided not to mention these errors but I was very discouraged when I left the meeting.

My daughter is trying so hard but she struggles and I am willing to stand up for her as much as I need to. Teacher and I are on good ground and I don't want to jeopardize this but some part of me feels I should talk to somebody about this-either the principal or another teacher there I greatly admire.

What, if anything would you do?

Last edited by no kudzu; 02-17-2010 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
M is in 2nd grade. We moved to this distreict because it supposedly has the best schools in the state and our taxes reflect this fact.

Yesterday I had a meeting with M's teacher because she needs improvement in a few areas but mostly it is a lack of focus. Teacher showed me some papers where M used the words "went" and "gone" incorrectly, as in "I gone to the beach". I told her M is not around anybody who speaks this way and I wondered where she hears that kind of speech. Then teacher says she is having trouble with that particular problem with several kids in her class. We went on to a math paper and teacher says " See this problem here? I just had went over this concept yet she still had a few problems."

I very politely asked her if she realized what she said and she did not so again I politely pointed out to her what she said. She looked confused and said "Is that not correct?" I tried to soften the situation by making jokes about how I am very conscious of grammer and would never correct anybody in normal conversation but since she pointed it out on M's paper, maybe M is hearing it in class.

A few minutes later teacher used "had went" again and again I pointed out to her in a kind manner this error. She still didn't know it was wrong. I couldn't remember the exact rule but I did tell her you use "went" alone and "gone" with "had".

Two more times in our meeting this 24 year old teacher only in her second year of teaching used "had came" and "they gone to lunch". I decided not to mention these errors but I was very discouraged when I left the meeting.

My daughter is trying so hard but she struggles and I am willing to stand up for her as much as I need to. Teacher and I are on good ground and I don't want to jeopardize this but some part of me feels I should talk to somebody about this-either the principal or another teacher there I greatly admire.

What, if anything would you do?
Wow, what a sticky spot to be in! Kudo's to you for being non-aggressive and just trying to point this out politely.

I do think you need to have a meeting with the principal. Trying to talk to the teacher again is not going to change the bad grammer habits she has learned over the years.

But the principal should be able to handle the situation discretely and mentor this young teacher - perhaps even encouraging her to take a basic grammer class to 'brush up' at the local community college or something. You would be doing her, and all her students, a favor to try to effect a change. Best of luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,839,778 times
I'd be very sure my grammar and spelling was flawless......

Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,434,532 times
This is a sticky situation. And while I am not sure about NC, I know when I lived in S GA, poor grammar was pretty rampant even among college educated (including my instructors with Masters degrees at the local technical college) adults. It might be a regional dialect habit. *ducking* I did get teased for using "college words" in regular conversation while working there.

I am not sure how to handle this; I know if my 2nd grader heard her teacher talk like that, she would definitely take it as the proper way to talk - she regards her teacher as the authority on everything, so it would be a problem.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
I immediately tried to edit my original post to change the typo in grammer to grammar but it didn't take.
Strangely it is S. Georgia where we originally lived and decided for many reasons to come to Chapel Hill ,N.C.
I don't want to further embarass this teacher or get her in trouble but gee- how to handle this is a real headache. I think I will talk to my teacher friend in that same school and see what suggestions she might have but I still think the principal should know too.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM

It did not happen to be Lowndes Co did it? I talked to a parent who moved to Lowndes from Berrien Co because the schools there were pretty poor but I did not think Lowndes was that great either.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
I would talk to the principal. He needs to be aware of this before she gets tenure.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 AM

4,502 posts, read 11,658,054 times
When my DD was in Catholic school, she had a teacher who would send home memos filled with spelling errors, grammatical errors, etc. I thought I was the only one noticing this and who was VERY annoyed by it until I spoke to some of the other parents. We complained (individually) to the principal. Of course, he did nothing but end up moving her to teach 2nd grade the following year. Great move on his part --- take children just learning how to write sentences/paragraphs and give them a teacher who can't!!! Thankfully, I pulled my daughter from that school at the end of that year.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,271,278 times
Sadly, there are teachers everywhere with poor grammar. My dd once had a teacher who often said, "lookit", and "stupider". And once I overheard a teacher say "pacific" instead of "specific", I was volunteering in the school library at the time. I actually said "specific" quietly under my breath, and she shot me a look. Fortunately I don't come across this very often, and my oldest are now in college. (although my dd in college is currently having issues with a Professor that's a recent immigrant that can barely speak English at all----but that's another vent)

I think if the problem were severe enough to affect your child's grades, I would discuss it with the principal. But in my case, I said nothing to the teacher, instead I just monitored my dd's grammar myself.

Anyone else worried about their own grammar when responding to this thread?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Anyone else worried about their own grammar when responding to this thread?
LOL yes. But, remember, we are not teaching grammar! This teacher pointed out the dd's grammatical errors, then proceeded to make the same ones herself.

I hold her to higher standards in the school setting. Nobody is perfect, but what slides here cannot be allowed to slide at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or