U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 PM

395 posts, read 1,316,987 times

Advertisements

I am a new homeschooling mom for my youngest and will possibly homeschool middle schooler come fall. We were "found" by CPS three times already. All were closed unfounded. I certainly do not intend to keep my girls trapped indoors all day and I sure do plan on taking both girls on "field trips".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 PM

golfgal.

My kids are 12 and almost 15 and are perfectly capable of playing outside unsupervised and have been for a number of years. We live/lived in neighborhoods with tons of kids and they are ALL out all day long playing.

I guess I should have posted that I was really thinking of the parents that let their kids who are under school age run around unsupervised for hours a day.

My husband once had a sister in law who birthed six kids and as soon as they could walk she would literally put them out the door and sit inside and watch soap operas all day.According to my mother in law she was also moderately retarded. She would beat the kids too. Finally my brother in law grew a brain and divorced her and got custody of all the kids.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:18 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
I can't understand how we can live in a world where CPS can be called on parents for letting their kids get some (outdoor) physical activity at the same time that other parents have CPS involved because they don't make their kids have ANY physical activity. And thank goodness I don't live in one of those CPS-calling places- My kid is known to go outside with nothing on! Instead of a college fund, we are thinking it may be better to start saving for a condo at a nudist resort..

Old 06-04-2007, 06:55 AM

I can't understand how we can live in a world where CPS can be called on parents for letting their kids get some (outdoor) physical activity at the same time that other parents have CPS involved because they don't make their kids have ANY physical activity. And thank goodness I don't live in one of those CPS-calling places- My kid is known to go outside with nothing on!

I know what you mean. My middle daughter is twelve and she is quite tall for her age and is overweight. I was taking her to a childhood obesity clinic and she still gained weight. I think that the doctors there were ready to report us to CPS again so we never went back to that clinic. Here in Florida doctors can look to see if you have ever been reported for abuse.

I would love for my daughter to be more physically active, but I also think her genes have something to do with it. She is simply not interested in most outdoor activities and enjoys reading, drawing, TV ect.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
Back in the day... the houses back then were a lot smaller than they were now, and people had larger families. We had 4 kids-family in a 1200 SF house. So guess what, if it was above 0 degrees out, we were outside!
And we had no air conditioning, so you didn't want to be inside the hot house in the summer. AND there was no cartoons on during the summer in the afternoon, just the soaps. And kids never wanted to watch those.
We mostly just got community pool passes and spent the afternoons there all summer long. Til we were old enough to get a job.
For the record, I let my kids play outside all the time, I am shoving them out the door when it is warm. They get too crazy indoors. I am lucky enough to live in a house that has lots of big windows so I can see front and backyard from most any room in the house.
Mostly their friends come over to our house to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or