Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,112 times

Advertisements

So my son is in second grade. This year he has come home several times upset about other kids being mean. One was an older sibling of a classmate who kept threatening to punch him, I told him to tell an adult at school if someone was threatening to hurt him. So after a week of threats he told the principal, and that was the last I hear of that. Until last night, when he told me the kid said if he ever told on him again he would pour poison down my son's throat, and then proceeded to show him a blue powder in a plastic tube. I have no idea what to think the blue powder was (candy, household cleaner, I didn't see it so who knows.)
So more recently a kid on the bus keeps calling names, telling my son to shut the f@*$ up, and threatening to hit him. The bus driver seems somewhat aware of the problems and they do have a video camera in the bus. Supposedly if there are any more issues between my son and this kid they will both go to the principal and the videotape will be reviewed (review what if it's all been just verbal.)
My question is how involved should I get about these alleged threats? I want my son to be responsible for his actions and be able to take care of himself, but at the same time it is upsetting to hear of the threats and I don't know if waiting for something to actually happen before I step in is the best idea.
Any ideas or similar situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
If someone is threatening to POISON your son, you should get EXTREMELY involved.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaLu View Post
So my son is in second grade. This year he has come home several times upset about other kids being mean. One was an older sibling of a classmate who kept threatening to punch him, I told him to tell an adult at school if someone was threatening to hurt him. So after a week of threats he told the principal, and that was the last I hear of that. Until last night, when he told me the kid said if he ever told on him again he would pour poison down my son's throat, and then proceeded to show him a blue powder in a plastic tube. I have no idea what to think the blue powder was (candy, household cleaner, I didn't see it so who knows.)
So more recently a kid on the bus keeps calling names, telling my son to shut the f@*$ up, and threatening to hit him. The bus driver seems somewhat aware of the problems and they do have a video camera in the bus. Supposedly if there are any more issues between my son and this kid they will both go to the principal and the videotape will be reviewed (review what if it's all been just verbal.)
My question is how involved should I get about these alleged threats? I want my son to be responsible for his actions and be able to take care of himself, but at the same time it is upsetting to hear of the threats and I don't know if waiting for something to actually happen before I step in is the best idea.
Any ideas or similar situations?
I would get very involved. Your kid is only seven years old! School should not be a place where he is afraid to go.

Further, do you know who this bully IS? Because, and I'm not advising YOU to do this, but I personally know I would knock on that kid's door and speak with his parents and let them know that this WILL stop.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
He's 7, right? By all means, get involved!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
He shouldn't have to handle this himself. What does his teacher say? How does an older child have access to your son? What is the school's policy on bullying? What are the seating arrangements on the bus? Can these be changed? What is the supervision like at the bus boarding area? Is your son kept apart from the kid giving him trouble?

I would find the answers to the above questions now either from his teacher or the principal. The statement about poisoning is completely unacceptable.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
A knee to the groin would shut the older boy up. Your son needs to know he can fight back when he is being threatened. As soon as the other boy knows it hurts when he messes with your son, he will find someone more prone or vulnerable to pick on.

In the meantime, a quick call to his mother or father might alert them that he is becoming someone who will find himself in a whole lot of trouble due to his threatening to poison kids at school.

If you find no resolution with his parents, mention to them that threats like that should really be a police matter and you think perhaps you should call the local station to inquire what avenue you should pursue to nip this matter in the bud. After all, the suggestion of poisoning students is a serious matter.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:28 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
If it were an adult being threatened and harrassed, would you advise that they just sit there and take it? Why on earth would you even consider letting a seven year old "handle it himself"??? School should be a safe place for children, not a place where they are frightened to go.

I'd march myself into the principal's office and let them know that either this will end TODAY, or the police will be called tomorrow morning. There is no excuse for ambivalence or wishy washiness in this matter. None at all.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
To be honest, if that was MY son, not only would he NEVER step foot on that bus again as long as that other child is on it.
But if the SCHOOL continues to DO nothing (like suspend this other boy) then I would move my child to another school.
In this day and age threats are supposed to be taken very seriously, and it doesn't seem like your school wants to be bothered.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,112 times
I didn't mean to downplay the threat of poisoning. That incident happened about two months ago. I only found out about it last night while my son and I were discussing the current bus bully.
My whole question really stems on should I step in everytime a threat of harm happens. It is the difference of my son telling an adult who is present at the time and can do something about it, or him waiting out the school day to come home to tell me about it. Which then in turn I don't know these children's parents so I would in turn be telling an adult at the school, after the fact. Which I have done and will do, but what should I advise my son to do in the meantime for himself?
I'm so disheartened that this sort of bull is happening to him at such a young age. I at least was in Jr. High before I had to deal with this sort of stuff.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
To be honest, if that was MY son, not only would he NEVER step foot on that bus again as long as that other child is on it.
But if the SCHOOL continues to DO nothing (like suspend this other boy) then I would move my child to another school.
In this day and age threats are supposed to be taken very seriously, and it doesn't seem like your school wants to be bothered.
I completely agree
None of this is OK. Get involved NOW!! He's a baby for heaven's sake!! I have a 2nd grader myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting