U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,565,136 times
Default 1st birthday - need some opinions

My baby's first birthday is coming up and I decided to have a mini-party for just the moms and babies that I met through play-dates. We will have a separate celebration with family and friends.

Here is where I need some opinions. I have very limited parking at my residence. Basically, all of my neighbors should be somewhere else during the event if I want to have the party at my home.

So a nice lady offered to do the mini-party at her home. I met her through a mommy& me class, we went to her baby's first birthday, and I have gone to her place to hang out a couple of times so she is not exactly a stranger. However, I have only known her for about 5 months.

I know I shouldn't care what people think but...

Would it be lame of me to do it at her house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 AM

41,872 posts, read 46,792,493 times
It's not lame. People often hold parties elsewhere. She offered. Do it where there is room.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 AM

1,980 posts, read 2,450,291 times
I agree that it's not lame at all. I also live in a small place with little parking and would do the same thing if someone offered.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 AM

211 posts, read 381,757 times
agreed, not lame. maybe just on the invites say 'hosted by'. by that you're giving her the props and even though she may not by paying for anything, she is offering her house.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 AM

2,839 posts, read 6,423,912 times
I think it's fine to take her up on her offer.

With that said, when I lived in Florida, everyone held their kids' parties at the park, year round. I guess if it's a one-year-old, though, that would be more hassle than it's worth, but something to keep in mind as the kids grow. I lived in a small house, and would simply invite everyone to the park on a Wednesday morning (or whatever un-busy time we chose), brought a deli tray, rolls, chips, and cupcakes, and the kids were happy to play on the equipment, and the moms were happy to sit on the park benches and chat.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,565,136 times
Thank you. I feel better about taking her offer. As far as the parks, I did think of that. The weather has been changing so much here and it has been windy. I overheard a couple of moms talking about how much of a hassle it was to be at a park for a party with everything flying everywhere and babies to hold. So I thought an indoor party would be more convenient.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 PM

1,738 posts, read 5,382,429 times
do it! don't do it at your house ...babies only last a few hours anyways so it will be a short party.
we had our daughters at our house and have wonderful family and friends. The gifts were amazing, the family was, the kids were and my one year old was a crying cranky mess. lol so once I got her set afterwards I had a HUGE mess to clean up!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM

25,192 posts, read 15,988,955 times
The party is for you and your friends so go where you will be comfortable. Your kids won't care or remember and may not even be awake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting