U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 AM

967 posts, read 1,112,479 times
I see where the OP is coming from...I live in Houston, too, and have seen many foreign nannies in the area, as well as foreign housekeepers. I can't answer as to why someone would choose a Spanish speaking nanny, but I think it'd be great if my children could be bilingual, other than what they hear on Dora!

If I were to employ a nanny (sometimes it'd be nice) I would like to have someone older, and even perhaps from a different culture. Older usually means a little more mature...I'd hate to have a college student who plays with her hair all day and texts. Living in Houston, being bilingual is a definite plus! Perhaps some of the families do what an older, bilingual nanny to help take care of the children. I'm sure, too, that there are some cheapskates out there that will employ someone because they may work for less...

I know when I was going back to work several years back we looked at hiring a nanny, and I had several responses from girls who were barely out of high school looking for $20 an hour...some had NO experience with children. I thought it was ludicrous, but we ended up with a home day care that was excellent! It's true that we don't NEED experience to be a mother, but we also want someone to take care of our children that have actually been around other children, and maybe have had a CPR class or two. I don't think it's unnatural to want someone experienced with children to watch and care for our children while we work outside the home.

To the OP, I understand where you're coming from, and I don't think you meant any harm by your post. I also don't think you're trying to start a working mom/stay at home mom debate. I live here, too, and see it as well. I would hope that any responsible parent just wants the best for their kids and hopefully the folks that they employ are caring, trustworthy individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,199,023 times
As a working mom, I think that nannies offer a great option to childcare centers. They run $400 a week and up here, which makes them less affordable unless you have multiple young children, but I'd hire one in an instant if money weren't an issue.

It would be great to have someone come to our house where our children are most comfortable and can stay on our schedule. Also, the OP mentioned seeing nannies at museaums, playgroups, etc. I think this is wonderful. It would only benefit my children to have educational outings while I'm working. Would it be better for the kids to be stuck at home all day?

Speaking a foreign language, especially Spanish, would be a plus, although I wouldn't hire a nanny would didn't have proficient English language skills to call 911 in an emergency or model the language for my child.

As far a special training is concerned, I think that Britain is the only place where there are formal nanny schools, however, ALL child care providers should be trained in infant/child safety and CPR. I personally think that all parents should sign up for a CPR/first aid class, too. You never know when you'll need these skills.

And of course you should have a background check on anyone who is going to be watching your children fulltime in your home. After all, licensed child care centers must conduct background checks on their workers and so must schools.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:35 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,869,056 times
I was a nanny for a while in college and loved it. I love kids and always had a great relationship with the two families I watched. The first family I was with (it was during the summer, when I was home on break), I worked maybe 4 days a week for 6 hours or so. There was a set of 3 yr old twin boys and a 6 month old baby. I helped the mother with folding laundry and mostly watched the baby while she napped. I would sometimes watch the boys while the mother ran errands and took the baby. My being there allowed the mother to have some time in the day to take a nap and relax, which would be impossible due to the age of the kids and also the fact that one of the kids had some pretty big health issues.

The second family I nannied for was my favorite. There were there kids at the time, two girls 5 and 4 and a 2 yr old boy. I am still close with the family. It was good for her because I could watch two of the kids while she took the other out for a one-on-one day to give each kid special attention.

I didn't have training of any sort. My mom is a parent counselor so I was able to call her if anything happened (i remember calling her a few times with questions about the young baby). I am a responsible and mature person, so I felt I could handle anything that came to me. I wasn't CPR trained (am now) and I feel that I probably should have been. One of the girls I watched had peanut allergies and I had specific instructions on what to do with that. I think that having a part time nanny is a great alternative to child care, as long as you don't just throw your kids at the nanny all the time.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,758,598 times
I agree with the person who said that nannies are not cheap! We paid ours upwards of $700/week ($15/hr.), and that was killing us. However, (this is not a slam on anyone who uses daycare, please understand), it makes me sad to think of kids napping at daycare and staying there from 6 AM-6 PM. I preferred for my kids to be able to nap in their own beds and eat dinner at home when they were very small. Just my personal choice. My nanny was adopted from abroad, but is a citizen. I was not, however, concerned with her formal education other than whether she was certified in CPR and the Heimlich. She had previous experience nannying for a very close friend of mine, and that was good enough for me. She was with us for five years until she had her own child. A good nanny is like gold; hold onto him/her with all you've got!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM

4,806 posts, read 11,615,673 times
Nannying is a job that pays reasonably well, doesn't require training or education typically, and oftentimes has the hours and flexibility needed by working mothers. It is only logical that a large segment of this occupation would fall within a specific demographic.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM

16,935 posts, read 13,881,698 times
A) How do you know these nannies are "cheap" child care or that the parents are wealthy? I've always figured a private nanny would cost more than a day care center.

B) How can you tell by looking that these people are undocumented?

C) How do you know what kind of training they have or have not had?

This OP wins the prize for the most presumptuous post I've ever seen on here.

There is no way to answer your question because it is based 100% on your assumptions, and 0% on facts.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM

486 posts, read 932,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post
When I say training, I guess I am thinking of British nannies. I was under the impression that many British nannies go to formal training. Maybe this is just for nannies that are working for royalty. Sorry I never researched this so I guess I am wrong about the need (or availability) in this country for a "trained" nanny.

I'm not sure about training per se and agree with others on the loving nature and patience and raising their own kids... but I think there is training that nannies can do to make themselves stand out - certified in CPR and had basic early childcare training classes and a clean driving record (if that's important), and speaks enough English to communicate in times of emergencies.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 PM

25,271 posts, read 16,448,310 times
I know at least 2 nanny schools/agencies in Atlanta and I'm sure there are many more around the country. I would never just hire a sitter/nanny off craigslist and without alot of referrals and background checks. And I surely would have a nanny cam to check thigs out.

There are many of us moms who might need temporary help for a myriad of reasons. Even if I was home with the kids and nanny, I would want to check this person out. I think too many parents hire somebody who seems "nice" and "loves kids" without really checking things out. We've all seen too many shows on TV about bad nannies abusing little kids. I would never be able to live with the guilt if a bad sitter harmed my kid but it happens all the time. It's just that the kids can't tell us about it.

If I could not be with my kids I surely would do everything possible to know the person I hired was qualified, spoke English well and had stellar references and certainly was not the cheapest alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting