Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,681,157 times

Advertisements

Whether a person THINKS he or she is something else, the fact is they aren't. A 'girl in a boy's body' is still a boy going into the girl's bathroom. A 'boy in a girl's body' is still a girl going into the boy's bathroom.

I would think that would be more uncomfortable than the boy using the boy's bathroom, and the girl using the girl's bathroom for EVERYONE concerned.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,779,594 times
I typed out a long response about the whole body/mind debate, but I decided that it doesn't matter either way.

If they eliminate urinals in the mens rooms and only have stalls in both bathrooms, it doesn't matter who goes where or who is forced to stay where.

I've gone into men's rooms when the ladies' room was closed. Stalls provide enough privacy for anyone who is feeling uncomfortable in their bodies.

As a result, I don't see any need to change the status quo for a small percentage of the population who feel they are stuck in a different body.

If all bathrooms simply had stalls without urinals, it would be a non-issue.

Who decided men needed to stand at a trough to urinate anyway? The toilet works just fine at home!

And while we're at it, why do men need to urinate next to one another?

Just seems to make sense to provide everyone with privacy and eliminate the weird social atmosphere in men's rooms.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,026,616 times
While I think the hoopla over this legislation is much to do about nothing, I must point out that most boys and many men couldn't hit the broad side of a barn right in front of them. As it is, I have to hover over public toilet seats. Can you imagine what it would be like if we removed the urinals?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,779,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
While I think the hoopla over this legislation is much to do about nothing, I must point out that most boys and many men couldn't hit the broad side of a barn right in front of them. As it is, I have to hover over public toilet seats. Can you imagine what it would be like if we removed the urinals?
Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I was typing that post! But urinals could be inside stalls! They don't have to be animals at a trough! It's rather animalistic and perverse for them to stand next to each other like that! Some think it's manly. Some are uncomfortable. Some are homosexuals getting their rocks off. Some are perverts. It's just a weird society inside a men's room. Of course, that's an easy way for a women to view it, but I don't think most men ENJOY urinating next to another guy.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,020,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
They should add a third bathroom that has neither a male or female on the door but a ? to identify it as being for transgender students.

I could see where a transgender male might feel uncomfortable using the male bathroom as he/she may get harrassed or worse by the other males that are in the bathroom with him. Same probably goes for the transgender females. Adding a thrid bathroom similar to the family bathrooms that places like Wal-mart has would be a much better solution. Only one person at a time would be allowed to use it.

The biggest problem that I can see with allowing the opposite sex into a bathroom is that it won't just be transgender kids doing it. There is already enough kids of the opposite sex entering bathrooms for sex, and if a teacher saw a female student entering a male bathroom or visa versa they can pretty much conclude that it's probably to have sex. But now that the opposite sex can enter a bathroom makes it harder for people to know what the reason is for them to be in there.
Good points and not a bad suggestion for this issue that probably isn't going away!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Good points and not a bad suggestion for this issue that probably isn't going away!
No, it's probably not. I suspect the recent information about the effect of atrazine on amphibians is only the tip of the iceberg. This isn't a moral issue; it's a physiological issue.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Of course you realize that the "hoopla" and "pitchfork" toting was all started by the Transgender Folks in the first place to get this initiative passed. The fact that some of the rest of us aren't thrilled and voicing our God given right to speak our discomfort with it, is actually the second round of "hoopla." That being said, a previous poster's suggestion about a third, single room "?" bathroom is probably a reasonable idea if this is truly necessary.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Of course you realize that the "hoopla" and "pitchfork" toting was all started by the Transgender Folks in the first place to get this initiative passed. The fact that some of the rest of us aren't thrilled and voicing our God given right to speak our discomfort with it, is actually the second round of "hoopla." That being said, a previous poster's suggestion about a third, single room "?" bathroom is probably a reasonable idea if this is truly necessary.
I disagree, and I'll just leave it at that.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I disagree, and I'll just leave it at that.
What part of it do you disagree with?

There was a law and social mores in place.

Someone worked to change it.

Others are working to get it back.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM

I suspect you've made up your mind, and I don't believe this to be a respectful exchange of ideas. I am truly sorry that I posted in the first place, because I contributed to the problem. I was dismissive of your post, which is not how I wish to conduct myself on-line, even though I adamantly disagree with your premise. It is unlikely that either or us will change our positions on the matter, so I'll bow out now. This is the parenting forum, not great debates. Best regards...FC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting