Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times

Advertisements

Hello! I need some other parent's perspectives of this. My son is a very young kindergartener. He is 5 and his birthday is in August. So, he is one of the youngest in the class. It's now 7 months into school and he is still crying when I leave and clinging to me. When we are walking to school he doesn't want to go, he wants to stay home with me. Everyday it hurts my heart to leave him there. He is very smart, meets the curriculum, etc. Emotionally and socially, I just don't see that he is mature enough to move on to 1st grade. His teacher, the school councelor, and the principal have all talked to me about this and they ALL think I should move him on to first grade. They all say he would be incredibly bored if I held him back in kinder again. Ultimately, it's my decision, but I am confused as anything on what to do.

So, has anyone held back their very young, kinder son? How was your experience? Do you rec. other parents thinking about this? Any advice on what to do? Thank you for your input.

Oh, please don't put me down about putting him in kinder so young. I've learned my lesson, etc. I'm just looking for support. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
how much younger is he than all the other K's?? he is 5 which is the "correct" age, is it not?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I wish I held my son back. He is now in 4th grade and very immature. I would talk to the teacher and see her thoughts, she can give you a better perspective.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:34 AM

806 posts, read 2,883,614 times
Have you checked on him at various times of the day, without his knowledge, to see how his day goes?

You're being manipulated if seven months into the school year this is still happening, and holding him back isn't going to change that situation. It sounds to me like he's established a routine that gets him the desired response therefore why change? I would simply ignore the clingy, emotional show and calmly explain to him that he's going to be fine, wish him a fun day with his friends and classmates and leave. Maybe stop by for lunch or recess every few days just to re-assure him you're always around.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 AM

705 posts, read 1,758,834 times
Ask the counselor or school psychologist for help with the clingy morning behavior. You can set up reinforcers that would help him enter the school without that behavior; ignoring it is one way, but there are other structured ways to reinforce going to school like a big boy.

Hard to say if holding him back would be the best thing now that he has started. I kept my Aug b/day boy back; he turned 6 2 days after school started. The decision was made easier for me because he was kept in the '2s' room for an extra year at his Mother's Day Out....if that hadn't happened I might be in your shoes today.

If you can get the clingy behavior under control, would you feel better about moving him to first? Does he have social issues during the day - is he more easily upset that the other kinders, does he have friends, does he play well with those friends? Ultimately it is your decision, but it would be difficult to go against the principal/counselor/ and teacher....and the teacher is one of those who would have him for the extra year.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
how much younger is he than all the other K's?? he is 5 which is the "correct" age, is it not?
Most kids turn 6 during their K year. This boy will not.

1. My youngest brother started Kindergarten at age 4. The cut off date was Dec. 1 and his birthday is in Oct.. He was clearly not ready and Mother took him out after a few weeks. He laughed about it telling people he quit school. He was more ready the next year.

2. I have a cousin who kept her daughter back in Kindergarten. She ended up being an honors student all the way through school. She was very well adjusted the second year.

3. A long time ago, when my neighbor's daughter started school, she cried all day, every day she was there. I worked at the school so I witnessed her crying. The next year, she went on to first grade and blossomed into a social butterfly. She was fine from then on. She was just very attached to mom and probably figured if she cried long enough, she could stay home.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Hello! I need some other parent's perspectives of this. My son is a very young kindergartener. He is 5 and his birthday is in August. So, he is one of the youngest in the class. It's now 7 months into school and he is still crying when I leave and clinging to me. When we are walking to school he doesn't want to go, he wants to stay home with me. Everyday it hurts my heart to leave him there. He is very smart, meets the curriculum, etc. Emotionally and socially, I just don't see that he is mature enough to move on to 1st grade. His teacher, the school councelor, and the principal have all talked to me about this and they ALL think I should move him on to first grade. They all say he would be incredibly bored if I held him back in kinder again. Ultimately, it's my decision, but I am confused as anything on what to do.

So, has anyone held back their very young, kinder son? How was your experience? Do you rec. other parents thinking about this? Any advice on what to do? Thank you for your input.

Oh, please don't put me down about putting him in kinder so young. I've learned my lesson, etc. I'm just looking for support. Thank you.
It would be the best year to hold him back so if you're going to do it, do it now.

Intellectual ability isn't all it's about, many very intelligent kids are a little behind emotionally, they mature later so if he's young for the grade to begin with, it may be too much.

Older kids have a big advantage. They usually do better in sports and their self-confidence. At age 5, one year makes a huge difference, one year is 20% of their lifetime. How kids start off in school can make a big difference in how well they do overall, socially. Sometimes the young ones end up shy or they are seen as babyish by the other kids and once that label is applied, it's hard to shake it.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

28 posts, read 91,407 times
NO, I would NOT hold him back. I would hold him back ONLY if he didn't know anything or having difficult with letters, sounds, reading, etc...

Clinging to a parent IS NOT a sufficient reason to hold a child back.

My kids were clingy kids as well. My son and daughter got over it when they started SECOND grade. Some kids are just clingy kids.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
It does not sound as if he needs to be kept back. It sounds more like you think keeping in there will somehow allow him to bloom, when it sounds more like he's already bored in there.

We have a few friends whose boys are young first graders...(turned 6 in Aug. Sept. & Oct.) this past year. They're doing fine.

Last edited by bellalunatic; 03-05-2010 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
How will keeping him back help the clingy behavior? Unless he is OVERALL immature, to the point that it would impede his academic progress, I don't see holding him back as a reasonable solution. Is he clingy other times as well or just when you drop him off at school? Does he cry when his dad or someone else drops him off at school?

I'd first try to address the behavior. Have the teacher meet you at the door of the school and don't make a big deal about the goodbye. Have someone else drop him at school. Change up the routine a bit. It may just be that the time and place and resulting reaction have become a habit...much like some kids cry at bed time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting