Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty, wise and wicked View Post
I wish they would do that here....my husbands ex-wife should be charged with neglect. Now we are stuck with paying 1/2 of the dental bills, just because she can't be adamant about making sure they take care of their teeth!
I need to start my own thread on what we've been going through with her.
He should pay for half of everything that has to do with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witty, wise and wicked View Post
I wish they would do that here....my husbands ex-wife should be charged with neglect. Now we are stuck with paying 1/2 of the dental bills, just because she can't be adamant about making sure they take care of their teeth!
I need to start my own thread on what we've been going through with her.
Perhaps you husband could be adamant about making sure they take care of their teeth?

Regardless, he still owes 1/2.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
No school dental checks here either, and I agree, the father should be paying half the dental bills.

But as to schools doing BMI reports, that is a bit much. Maybe it's different where I live, but I just don't see many extremely overweight children. You'd think a child's pediatrician would be on top of that. I think it's pediatricians who should be discussing this issue with parents, not schools.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
No school dental checks here either, and I agree, the father should be paying half the dental bills.

But as to schools doing BMI reports, that is a bit much. Maybe it's different where I live, but I just don't see many extremely overweight children. You'd think a child's pediatrician would be on top of that. I think it's pediatricians who should be discussing this issue with parents, not schools.
I definitely don't think it is the school's business to tell parents that their kids are overweight.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:08 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post

I tend to agree.

If schools want to ensure the health of their students then all they need to do is request proof that a child has had an annual physical. Beyond that, schools need to provide (not cut) P.E. & recess. And school lunches should be reasonably healthy. But that is just common sense.

All of this "tracking" and "electronic monitoring" sounds a bit overboard and intrusive. And the purpose for it is - what? Seriously, what would all of this data be used for? Would children of normal weight also be tracked if they come from "high risk" environments (ie: parents fit into some sort of category - low income/overweight/not college educated/etc.)?

If a child is having trouble participating in P.E. (for whatever reason) I can see sending a note home. But reporting it to the government seems a little extreme to me.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-04-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
I think measuring kids body fat percentages would be a much better option. BMI is a joke in most cases. For example, look at Dwight Howard (NBA superstar). He's 6'11, and weighs in at 265 lbs. According to the BMI Calculator, his BMI is 27, making him overweight. By looking at Dwight Howard, NO ONE can say he's overweight.

The same goes for a lot of kids..my daughter is "overweight" by the BMI (age-specific) calculator. If you looked at her, it wouldn't make sense to say she's overweight. She just has a "meatier" build and is very strong.

I see the pros and cons of trying to regulate kids' weight as best as the schools can, but I wouldn't do it by calculating their BMI.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I think measuring kids body fat percentages would be a much better option. BMI is a joke in most cases. For example, look at Dwight Howard (NBA superstar). He's 6'11, and weighs in at 265 lbs. According to the BMI Calculator, his BMI is 27, making him overweight. By looking at Dwight Howard, NO ONE can say he's overweight.

The same goes for a lot of kids..my daughter is "overweight" by the BMI (age-specific) calculator. If you looked at her, it wouldn't make sense to say she's overweight. She just has a "meatier" build and is very strong.

I see the pros and cons of trying to regulate kids' weight as best as the schools can, but I wouldn't do it by calculating their BMI.

What are the "pros" of government regulating kids weight and, by extension, the parenting they get? What are the positives which flow from that?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What are the "pros" of government regulating kids weight and, by extension, the parenting they get? What are the positives which flow from that?
You ARE joking, right?

If things keep going the way they are, all we as parents will be used for is the actual production of children and following what the government wants us to do with them once they're here.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
You ARE joking, right?

If things keep going the way they are, all we as parents will be used for is the actual production of children and following what the government wants us to do with them once they're here.

No, I'm not joking.

What you've described are the con's. I'm awaiting someone to tell me what the PRO's are.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
I don't see any. If you hadn't noticed, things are getting worse with every government intervention and social interference in our private lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting