Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Homosexuality still bother you?
Yes 25 18.25%
No 112 81.75%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It bothers me to the extent that the thought of kissing and sodomizing another guy bothers me. In other words it makes me cringe. But hey, to each his own.
I don't really want a mental picture of straight people having sex, either. OTOH, seeing two adults holding hands or hugging doesn't usually lead to thoughts of "gee, wonder if they like it thus-and-such a way?" no matter what gender combination they are.

I was at the airport the other night waiting for a family member and a man got off the shuttle and ran over and hugged what was clearly his partner and their child. It was a nice, family, "Dad back from a business trip" kind of moment. Immediately thinking "gee, wonder if they're gonna sodomize tonight?" would have said a whole lot more about me than them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You may also consider how it will impact your life. What kind of people will she bring to your home, your family events.
Well, yeah. Because it's ALL about the parents' social lives.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
How is it hateful? I see no reason to keep homosexuals around. The point of being with a person is to make children you can't do that when its 2 men or 2 women. So therefore they are a drain on society.Everyone should contribute something to society.
I take it you're ready to send all infertile people and post-menopausal women off on that train to Auschwitz, as well?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon
Really? You've never walked hand in hand with a significant other, gone on a date at a restaurant, a picnic, traveled together as a couple (with your children), gone to a wedding together as a couple, or had a wedding yourself, gave your partner a peck on the cheek or lips when in ANY public place or a place where the public could have to witness such behavior?

Because it you've done any of this you've made your sexual preferences quite public.

I'll not knock over or shout at (as if!) a sweet, straight elderly couple walking on the boardwalk, arms intertwined, if you (all of you) will stop haranguing about having it shoved down your throat just because it happens to be two people doing exactly what you are doing and happen to be of the same gender..

inappropriate sexual behavior in public is genderless.-- please, get a room-- will be the usual comment.
talking about intimate details with an utter stranger is inappropriate and genderless bad behavior and a blindness to boundaries.
such behavior will generate comments whether you are gay or straight.
When did holding hands or hugging at an airport become "inappropriate sexual behavior"?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I don't have any probs with gays, although just based on my friendship with a suitemate in college I've found them to be a bit cliquish (but no more or less so than other minorities).

What I've noticed though is that a few of my pretty liberal friends who're now married & with kids have expressed discomfort living in neighborhoods known to be gay-friendly. Sometimes they use coded phrases like the area is "anti-family", or there are too many clubs/lounges, or it's "rowdy" at night, or it's too "artsy/bohemian", or the neighborhood has too many "single people." I hate to criticize them since I'm not married yet and can't really say how I would feel raising a child in a more adult-oriented neighborhood.
Some people get the impression that once they have kids they have to move to the burbs. (ick) Usually the argument is "better schools".
We live in town, in an undeniably gay-friendly area. A couple of blocks away is a drag bar. The worst thing I can say for it is that they play the music too loud sometimes-- but then, so did the cowboy bar we used to have down the street. OTOH, we homeschool, in part so we're not trapped in the burbs. My kids aren't scarred for life, and are probably far better for knowing not everyone leads cookie-cutter lives.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I believe you are confusing sexuality and sexual behavior, with sexual orientation. However I am curious about how you formed your opinion that sexual orientation is a choice.
I would categorize your conclusion as maybe a misinterpretation of my statement...I meant exactly what I said. I think sexuality is chosen...sexual behavior is simply practiced...nothing complex imo...just my opinion.

But, Ive discussed it in other threads, and there is no progress to be gained from circling the herd again...to each his own imo.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:58 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I would categorize your conclusion as maybe a misinterpretation of my statement...I meant exactly what I said. I think sexuality is chosen...sexual behavior is simply practiced...nothing complex imo...just my opinion.

But, Ive discussed it in other threads, and there is no progress to be gained from circling the herd again...to each his own imo.
I know we've discussed this in other threads, but you never mentioned on what information/ideas you formed your opinion that people choose to be homosexual. From things you've read? From people you've talked to? Your own experiences?

I know for myself when I speak to straight women, they sometimes feel like aliens because they orient so much of their life, their emotions, their thoughts and their actions towards their interactions and relationships with males. From the way they dress to be attractive to males, to being competitve with each other for male attention, to wanting to live their lives with males. I just can't see the attraction and have never felt any emotional, physical, mental or sexual attraction towards males, even though I've got on well with many men thoughout my life. It's always been females I've been oriented towards ... as long as I remember.

For me there is no way I can just "choose" to think and feel like a straight woman does towards males. It would be like wanting to fall in love with one of my brothers or something. As for having sex with males.... accckk. Totally icky and "unnatural".

To me sexual orientation is not just about having sex or sexual attraction, it's about how I identify myself in relation to those of the opposite or same gender and how I think and feel and respond to them in many different ways.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I know we've discussed this in other threads, but you never mentioned on what information/ideas you formed your opinion that people choose to be homosexual. From things you've read? From people you've talked to? Your own experiences?

I know for myself when I speak to straight women, they sometimes feel like aliens because they orient so much of their life, their emotions, their thoughts and their actions towards their interactions and relationships with males. From the way they dress to be attractive to males, to being competitve with each other for male attention, to wanting to live their lives with males. I just can't see the attraction and have never felt any emotional, physical, mental or sexual attraction towards males, even though I've got on well with many men thoughout my life. It's always been females I've been oriented towards ... as long as I remember.

For me there is no way I can just "choose" to think and feel like a straight woman does towards males. It would be like wanting to fall in love with one of my brothers or something. As for having sex with males.... accckk. Totally icky and "unnatural".

To me sexual orientation is not just about having sex or sexual attraction, it's about how I identify myself in relation to those of the opposite or same gender and how I think and feel and respond to them in many different ways.

Oh ok...sorry for the misunderstanding there...yes, based on people Ive talked to, and the information Ive read, in addition to my own deductive reasoning..

But for me, sexual orientation is just that..an orientation...everything is oriented by outside influences...

I agree that it would be hard to feel an attraction to males if you identify and live your life as a straight man...but many straight men do it...and even MORE straight women develop attractions to people of the same sex....Ive heard several straight men call other men "handsome"..or they'll say that a man is "attractive/good looking"...Jay Leno, among others, does it all the time...I think all sexuality is an acquired taste and exists on a spectrum...I personally dont believe that anyone is completely directed (orientation or otherwise) by their sexuality from beginning to end...

When someone exercises their ability to choose who they are attracted to, most people will say that well "he/she was really bi- all along"....I think this is inconsistent logic...if the measure of a person's sexuality is their own range of experiences/emotions, then only that person can truly know what they want, and thus identify as.. Its inconsistent for anyone other than that individual, to all of a sudden start using societal labels to describe them when that person's decisions dont align with our own understanding of sexuality, or behavior..

Now if we are allowed to use societal standards to judge other people, then the only thing that really matters about a person's sexuality is their behavior. Meaning, other people would rightfully be able to place external/societal judgments onto another person's outward behavior.

Thats my take on it at least.

Last edited by solytaire; 03-15-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM

241 posts, read 267,318 times
Nope, it never has and never will. I feel so sorry for gay and lesbian kids of parents who are "against" them.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:49 PM

241 posts, read 267,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I take it you're ready to send all infertile people and post-menopausal women off on that train to Auschwitz, as well?
I would think that they would, yes. It's very, very scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting