U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM

3,581 posts, read 9,009,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
What do you think of situations where you are at a friend's house or something? Do you consider that nursing in public? Does public imply that you are around strangers, or just that you are not at your own home?

I was just thinking about what I said about not nursing my daughter in public when she is older. But I think that would just apply to strangers. I think I would be fine with it if we were over a friend or certainly a relative's house, and also if we are at a meeting like LLL or NINO where it is not at all uncommon to see nursing.
No, I would not consider that nursing in public. I would consider myself a guest in that instance and adhere to whatever the host feels appropriate regardless of my preference as a matter of good manners. I would ask first and if it would offend them, or even just make them uncomfortable, I would not do it. It might make visits short or even infrequent for a while, but I think it would be better manners to defer to their comfort while a guest.

I might view crotch scratching perfectly natural at home, but I would never do it regardless of my comfort level at someone else's home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 12:25 AM

743 posts, read 2,039,261 times
[quote=BTW, I have nothing, absolutely NOTHING against bottles or pacifiers regardless of the age of your children. Mine refused them at any age, so I am pretty indifferent to that whole argument.[/QUOTE]

Why are artificial substitutes (bottles, pacifiers) okay....but, not the "real thing"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I might view crotch scratching perfectly natural at home, but I would never do it regardless of my comfort level at someone else's home.
How offensive that you compare the scratching of your private parts to the feeding of babies.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 AM

239 posts, read 1,010,473 times
I am 100% for nursing in private, nursing in public, covered up, exposed, little babies, tall toddlers, whatever suits the mom and the child. I have done all of the above with nothing but positive comments and smiles.

And though I would never choose to bottle feed (either pumping or formula--and I have done both for the first few hectic weeks of my son's life when he wouldn't latch), it's really not my business much less my place to comment on it.

I agree with BrianH

Quote:
If anybody has any problems with it they should stay behind locked doors because there is allot worse out there.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:19 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,150,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Nursing in public...I've done it. I always had a blanket to cover, but it's not the most pleasant experience.

As long as we're not talking about "National Geographic nursing", I think it's just fine.
Now you have me intrigued- what is "National Geographic" nursing?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
How offensive that you compare the scratching of your private parts to the feeding of babies.
Do you not think that both breastfeeding and butt-scratching are intimate and private acts one might try to do quietly and discreetly when and if they must be performed in public, and perhaps even more so when you are a guest in someone else's home? I think that in that regard, they are quite similar, and can understand the comparison of the two. If I understand the post correctly, johnrex62 was saying that that just because he (?) felt comfortable enough to do something at his home does not mean that he would automatically do the same thing as a guest in someone else's home, whether or not his own comfort level was high, IF the host were uncomfortable with that.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:40 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,957,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Do you not think that both breastfeeding and butt-scratching are intimate and private acts one might try to do quietly and discreetly when and if they must be performed in public, and perhaps even more so when you are a guest in someone else's home? I think that in that regard, they are quite similar, and can understand the comparison of the two. If I understand the post correctly, johnrex62 was saying that that just because he (?) felt comfortable enough to do something at his home does not mean that he would automatically do the same thing as a guest in someone else's home, whether or not his own comfort level was high, IF the host were uncomfortable with that.
I think that the objection to the comparison is that it comes close to describing nursing as dirty or gross, not just private or intimate. It's like when people use the argument "I don't pee in front of you, don't nurse in front of me" as though it's the same thing.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think that the objection to the comparison is that it comes close to describing nursing as dirty or gross, not just private or intimate. It's like when people use the argument "I don't pee in front of you, don't nurse in front of me" as though it's the same thing.
There usually seems to an objection to any comparison between nursing and any other bodily finction or (usually) intimate act. I don't think that it's trying to compare the grossness or nastiness or anything like that- it's just trying to find a situation that is similar (to NIP) in intimacy and need. So it's not that the poo is being compared to the milk, or the sphincter to the nipple, but that pooing is usually something done discreetly and with some level of awareness to the surroundings and other people present. (Just using the poo example because it comes up quite often.) It seems that when I try to simply state that (I think) it is an intimate act (without allusion to other bodily functions or similar situations) worthy of some discretion, people ask for examples, and then balk when they misinterpret the correlation in intimacy to a correlation in the level of "ick". You can compare apples and oranges on many levels other than color, KWIM?
NIP is a unique situation, so many of the comparisons fail, especially when interpreted by someone who may already be on the defensive (or offensive, in some cases) about NIP, but I think most of the comparisons are intended to illustrate (what they feel to be) similar situations in which intimacy, privacy, and tact should be considered, not to compare the actual bodily functions on the level of what is (or is not) disgusting.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,957,822 times
I'm not saying that was the intent of the poster who compared it to scratching. I'm just saying that I think that is why the other poster objected to the comparison.

I choose not to compare NIP to such bodily funtions, but rather to other baby feeding methods. This is why I say that I want mothers to feel comfortable nursing anywhere that another mother would feel comfortable bottle feeding. I think that is the most appropriate comparison.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:40 PM

432 posts, read 1,691,372 times
I breastfed both my boys, and did so publicly. Often, folks were really unaware that I was doing it, because I had nursing blouses and bras, and when the babies were little had them swaddled in a sling.

Breastfeeding is very essential to public health. It is important that nursing mothers are able to feed on demand for purposes of keeping up supply and avoiding engorgement, which is painful and can interfere with your ability to continue breastfeeding. It is ridiculous that people are offended that a baby is breastfed anywhere they would not be offended by bottle feeding. The body function is not the same as any other mentioned here. And although breastfeeding a baby develops a bond of intimacy and closeness, it is not one that should be kept private.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,567,583 times
Listen, maybe I am getting a lot of flack for what I am about to post....but, I HAVE to get it off my chest.
Why is NIP (Nursing in Public) such a tremendous "NO-NO", as some people refering to it?
Why are SOME americans so bashful, so backwards and so prude?
Why do mom's and their babies have to "hide" away in the absolutely disgusting, germ and bacteria ridden public bathrooms, just so the babies don't starve, and some people aren't exposed to the sight of seeing maybe a breast and the baby eat?
In europe, that isn't even anything to talk about, debated over, and done in public without ANY problems, but rather encouraged! (We love our mom, dad and childrens bonding over there!!!)
I tell you what....for all you people out there, here is a challenge.
Next time when you are in a restaurant/ public restroom, grab your dinner, and sit on the toilet in the bathroom, and eat it there. Yummy, isn't it? Someone is "peeing" right next to you in the other stall....YUMMY....you will enjoy dinner, won't you?
By gosh, THAT is a sanitary place to take in food.....
And, if someone is so offended by a BREAST....(Yeah, nobody seen ANY of them before ), then YOU are the one with the DIRTY and sexual thought, and NOTHING else. Otherwise, you wouldn't have any problem with NIP!
N'ough said, close my case, and made my points.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting