Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,017,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebOver View Post
Really? You celebrate not conforming, not sharing common opinion? Your position is not unique. Many young people share your opinion and argue from a position of comfort. A position provided by us dull drones who people the masses. We are thankful when they finally shower, cut their hair and make their own way into the world. The wording of your post is easily read as negative. Are you over-eager to label dissenting opinion as small minded? Are we unfair to see the hypocracy in your statement? Sit and consider. Your words represent you. This artist has created images that I find objectionable and I've explained why just as have many others. To not see the validity of our position - could yours be uniformed, pompous and childlike?
Well put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,673,869 times
Quote:
"We all have evil within us. Even small children are evil towards each other," Danish-Norwegian artist Nina Maria Kleivan tells Haaretz as she explains why she chose to dress up her baby daughter as the most evil historical figures of the 20th century.

"Even my daughter could end up ruling Denmark with an iron fist. The possibility is still there. You never know."
The aim is to illustrate just one thing: We all begin life the same. We all have every opportunity ahead of us. To do good, or inexplicable evil.

"You need to be conscious that your actions have consequences that impact on your fellow human beings. The people I let my daughter portray didn't give a damn about the human cost, the casualties, their thoughts caused," Kleivan says.

"The responsibility is yours alone. You can't throw it away - as a parent, as human beings - and say that you just followed orders."

"I grew up with a tremendous hatred towards the Germans," Kleivan says, reminiscing about how she would, as a child, carry a note in her pocket with the name of her father's prison guard, so that when the day came, she could identify him and kill him. "Even though my father stressed that you shouldn't hate anyone, not least the Germans. Hatred is a dead end."

"Most of her family disappeared in the German camps, I felt so bad telling her it was my work, because she didn't know, and was sickened by it. But this is not a deliberate provocation, it calls for reflection. Even though comical, you're not supposed to only laugh at these pictures. You need to contemplate them, ponder where this evil comes from."

"When all you see is a picture, Stalin could've been anyone's kind grandfather. You can't see the millions of people on his conscience or what a paranoid, dreadful human being he was."

Whether or not evil is inherent or generated mostly by environment, it lays dormant in even the smallest creature. Faustina is now 11 years old and shows a remarkable talent for playing the violin. Who knew?
IN PICTURES / Danish artist dresses her baby as Hitler, exploring the meaning of evil - Haaretz - Israel News

For those of you who have a problem with this, the article above is very enlightening. The above are excerpts. Take the time to read it before you pass any more judgement on this woman.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
"famous artist worldwide"??? I thought you were the one that said noone had probably ever heard of it before???

Anyway, its usually the "masses" to whom this type of tasteless stuff appeals.
I don't move within the artistic circles around the world, nor do you. Most common people never heard of her.

Because it's tasteless to you, an uneducated person as far as the arts, doesn't mean it's tasteless to everyone.

Why don't you take some time and read a little about her before you pass your ineducated judgement.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,925,847 times
I have been watching this thread and have really debated as to commenting. I have found reading reactions, etc. very enlightening and tried to understand what it is that causes such big reactions.

Is it that a political statement is being made? That the baby is being dressed up in costumes and has no say? I think everyone's reactions - because of their point of view, background, etc. are valid on both sides.

If what bothers someone is that the child is dressed up, has no choice, and will be forever scarred later in life, then what about babies dressed up and used as props in a baby manger at Christmas time to be baby Jesus? Would someone who is an atheist find this just as bad?

What about all the infant costumes that are out there that people dress their babies in - I went and did a search - devils, angels, witches...the list is extensive as to what some could find incredibly offensive.

The first time I looked at the pictures I'll admit, it was a bit jarring. But it had the effect I believe she was going for, and after reading more about her intent, I don't believe she had any bad intentions, she was just trying to get people to think - and the subject is a very provoking one for sure.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:08 PM

She states that her premise was that even the most heinous of monsters were born as innocent babies. She even stated that her own daughter (she has two) could grow up to be an 'iron fisted' ruler.

Quote:
"I grew up with a tremendous hatred towards the Germans," Kleivan says, reminiscing about how she would, as a child, carry a note in her pocket with the name of her father's prison guard, so that when the day came, she could identify him and kill him. "Even though my father stressed that you shouldn't hate anyone, not least the Germans. Hatred is a dead end."
She and her family lived their own hell. She knew what she was doing with this project.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,160,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I have been watching this thread and have really debated as to commenting. I have found reading reactions, etc. very enlightening and tried to understand what it is that causes such big reactions.

Is it that a political statement is being made? That the baby is being dressed up in costumes and has no say? I think everyone's reactions - because of their point of view, background, etc. are valid on both sides.

If what bothers someone is that the child is dressed up, has no choice, and will be forever scarred later in life, then what about babies dressed up and used as props in a baby manger at Christmas time to be baby Jesus? Would someone who is an atheist find this just as bad?

What about all the infant costumes that are out there that people dress their babies in - I went and did a search - devils, angels, witches...the list is extensive as to what some could find incredibly offensive.

The first time I looked at the pictures I'll admit, it was a bit jarring. But it had the effect I believe she was going for, and after reading more about her intent, I don't believe she had any bad intentions, she was just trying to get people to think - and the subject is a very provoking one for sure.

Yes, I agree with all of this. I think the effect was definitely meant to be jarring. All evil people start life as innocent, precious, cute babies who you want to kiss and hug.

It's such a great and thought provoking statement - when do evil people become evil?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,160,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
She states that her premise was that even the most heinous of monsters were born as innocent babies. She even stated that her own daughter (she has two) could grow up to be an 'iron fisted' ruler.

She and her family lived their own hell. She knew what she was doing with this project.

Wow. What a quote. And of course, I totally agree with her and see where she is coming from.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:22 AM

273 posts, read 697,571 times
What a neat and poignant story even ten years later. It’s nice to see a stay at home / work from home mother with enough free time to sew all those neat little outfits. Very cleaver project I must say, especially the fact we are still taking about it ten years later.

Very sad that so many people have a hang up to having the baby in such costumes, and I personally don’t see how it could ever affect the child in a negative way. As for the mother exploiting the child for her project, I don’t see this either and ask why others feel this way. Is it because you don’t agree with the content or the uniforms? Would you promote your own child if they could be cast in a movie or on TV, isn’t that the same thing although without a Hitler uniform?

When I was like two year old my parents bought my sister and I huge inflatable Easter bunnies that looked like Bugs Bunny. They thought it was cute that I was scared to death of it and took a picture of me standing next to it in tears with a look on my face that they thought was priceless. I look back at the picture and laugh because I don’t remember anything about it.

Get over it people

Hell jus the "Attention" getting thread title is misleading and for shock value
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting