U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM

25,254 posts, read 31,524,659 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON, D.C. - More than 1 million baby slings made by Infantino were recalled Wednesday after claims linking them to three infant deaths.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said babies could suffocate in the soft fabric slings.

Baby slings recalled after infant deaths - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,439,048 times
I never liked the look of that infantino sling, at least for me. I have used slings but you need to find the right one to get a proper fit and I know when mine were tiny, it was more of an assist than a hands-free device. I can see where someone might get a false sense of security using one.

This is so sad. I cannot imagine the heartbreak and guilt the parents must feel.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,450,826 times
Always prefered ring slings or Mei Tais myself. Or a good wrap, in winter.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,019,923 times
Yes, those bag slings are a terrible design. Glad they are recalled. I've used ring slings, but I prefer mei tais really, and lately I've been getting pretty good with the woven wrap.

The unfortunate thing about this is that all kinds of people do not know the difference between the type of sling being recalled and all the other many types of (much better) carriers, and are taking this to mean that all babywearing is dangerous. I mean, Graco just recalled the high chair that we have too, but nobody is trying to say that all high chairs are dangerous...

Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM

2,212 posts, read 3,167,024 times
I feel so sorry for those parents who have lost their babies after putting them in these slings, but I do have to say that there is an aspect of common sense that needs to be emphasized instead of this constant recalling of every single thing that millions of us have used successfully.

My kids were all raised in baby slings. Yes, even the Infantino. We all survived their babyhood.

I have seen parents with baby slings (and not just the style that were recalled but those like Baby Bjorns too) who have their kids so bundled up with blankets and pressed against their parent's chests that it's no wonder some kids suffocate. My kids loved their slings but I was very careful to make sure their faces were given adequate air flow, they weren't bundled up to their heads and they weren't forced to shove their faces into my chest.

It is a tragic thing when a baby dies and even more so when it's something preventable. But there must be something said for common sense too and you can recall all of the infant gear you want, people who don't use common sense are a danger to their kids no matter which kind of baby gear they are using.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,734,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I feel so sorry for those parents who have lost their babies after putting them in these slings, but I do have to say that there is an aspect of common sense that needs to be emphasized instead of this constant recalling of every single thing that millions of us have used successfully.

My kids were all raised in baby slings. Yes, even the Infantino. We all survived their babyhood.

I have seen parents with baby slings (and not just the style that were recalled but those like Baby Bjorns too) who have their kids so bundled up with blankets and pressed against their parent's chests that it's no wonder some kids suffocate. My kids loved their slings but I was very careful to make sure their faces were given adequate air flow, they weren't bundled up to their heads and they weren't forced to shove their faces into my chest.

It is a tragic thing when a baby dies and even more so when it's something preventable. But there must be something said for common sense too and you can recall all of the infant gear you want, people who don't use common sense are a danger to their kids no matter which kind of baby gear they are using.
Amen.

Seriously, it's the stupidity that is truly astonishing.

Darwinism.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Amen.

Darwinism.
Well, I wouldn't go that far (Darwinism) only because I think there is a huge difference between a mistake and a willful disregard for safety. I think there are plenty of parents who have a "freebie" when something horrible could have happened but didn't.

It wasn't long ago when I was little that baby seats were unheard of...my mom used the old "stick my arm out to block you when I hit the brakes". There have been some great safety things that have come out on the market.

But there is also an aspect of common sense that needs to be done by parents instead of every single thing being "baby proofed" and every item being recalled. I've been to those houses where the Christmas tree is surrounded by fence, where every corner has a bumper, where every plug in has a protector, where every doornob has a cover. I am not a perfect parent, but my kids are allowed to bump their heads, to take stuff off of the Christmas tree, etc. My youngest had a thing for sticking pens into the sockets, so we did put covers on those, but everything else just has some thought put into it. Our nice breakable Christmas ornaments go towards the top and others we knowingly sacrifice to our kids and hope they don't break them. Both of my kids have also outgrown their cribs that have (gasp!) sliding panels, both kids had crib bumpers, they both spent time in their (now recalled) baby exersaucer, they both have blinds on their windows with cords.

I think the key is complacency more than dangerous baby gear. And more than anything, it's using common sense.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,768,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
This is exactly what came to my mind when I saw this story on CNN a few days ago.

How could parents NOT know to make sure their babies could breath?

Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,653,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far (Darwinism) only because I think there is a huge difference between a mistake and a willful disregard for safety. I think there are plenty of parents who have a "freebie" when something horrible could have happened but didn't.

It wasn't long ago when I was little that baby seats were unheard of...my mom used the old "stick my arm out to block you when I hit the brakes". There have been some great safety things that have come out on the market.
Are you serious? YOUR mom did that too? It must come from being pregnant; something that's in the pre-natal vitamins that burrows into our brains during delivery. I STILL do that to my 16 year old, and she was always in a carseat. Never any need, but I still do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds
But there is also an aspect of common sense that needs to be done by parents instead of every single thing being "baby proofed" and every item being recalled. I've been to those houses where the Christmas tree is surrounded by fence, where every corner has a bumper, where every plug in has a protector, where every doornob has a cover. I am not a perfect parent, but my kids are allowed to bump their heads, to take stuff off of the Christmas tree, etc. My youngest had a thing for sticking pens into the sockets, so we did put covers on those, but everything else just has some thought put into it. Our nice breakable Christmas ornaments go towards the top and others we knowingly sacrifice to our kids and hope they don't break them. Both of my kids have also outgrown their cribs that have (gasp!) sliding panels, both kids had crib bumpers, they both spent time in their (now recalled) baby exersaucer, they both have blinds on their windows with cords.

I think the key is complacency more than dangerous baby gear. And more than anything, it's using common sense.
I was worried that nobody else thought like this. Whew. Am I glad you posted it.

I was thinking while reading this story that the mother carried her baby in that thing while she shopped FOR AN HOUR without checking on the baby. Is there no personal accountability anymore? Not everything is someone else's fault.

She could have put a rolled up receiving blanket in the bottom of that sling so the newborn didn't lay all curled up. There are more things she could have done than to put the baby in it and forget about it.

You're right, it's so much easier for people to blame objects and others than to take personal responsibility for their children and themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is exactly what came to my mind when I saw this story on CNN a few days ago.

How could parents NOT know to make sure their babies could breath?
In this case, the baby was in the sling for an hour unchecked. Unbelievable. In the other cases, couldn't the parent tell that the baby was scrunched up and must be uncomfortable and unable to breathe?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
In this case, the baby was in the sling for an hour unchecked. Unbelievable. In the other cases, couldn't the parent tell that the baby was scrunched up and must be uncomfortable and unable to breathe?
My kids were in their baby carriers all the time but I had my hands under their butts 95% of the time and would only take my hands away from holding them for a few seconds to grab something that required 2 hands. A sling is not meant to be used as a way to haul your baby around with you while never checking on them. A sling was invented to allow parents to free up their hands periodically and to ease the strain of carrying a baby on your hip and lower the potential of dropping them.

Again, my heart goes out to the parents because I am sure they will be haunted by this forever. But I think we in America are getting away from the aspect of personal responsibility and common sense. It's not Infantino's fault that these babies died, but no one wants to pointedly ask the parents why they left their babies unchecked for so long. I said it before, my youngest daughter loved her Infantino sling (the exact one that was recalled) and now instead of saying it was an accident, Infantino is going to lose millions of dollars over the fact that a few parents (out of millions) didn't use the item correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting