Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,154 times

Advertisements

I took my newborn for her two-month check up today and she received her first round of vaccines. The doctor gave her two shots containing a total of five vaccinations. She was supposed to recieve a sixth (rotavirus) but the doctor was out of the vaccine so we made an appointment to come back next month.

This was a bit surprising. When my older children (8 and 11) were infants I remember them having fewer vaccinations at one time. They never had any type of reaction afterwards.

My daugher has been crying since we left the office this morning. It's an irritated cry as if she's feeling absolutely miserable. The only time she stops is when I'm nursing her. Even then, she'll unlatch from my breast from time to time to let out a pitiful cry.

Does anyone have some tips on how to comfort a baby after they've received their vaccinations? I gave her the recommended dose of infant Tylenol about an hour ago but it doesn't seem to have helped. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,277 times
My middle daughter was also given numerous shots in one appt when she was a baby. Ended up that her glands in her groin area, of all places, swelled. It scared us to death. After that, I refused to get more than two shots in one visit with any of my kids.

I was told by my kids' doctor to give them Motrin about an hour before the appt time so by the time they got their shots, they already had pain relief in their system. After the shots, we continued with the Motrin every 8 hours to keep the pain away. I also gave them soothing warm baths and loose clothing until they felt better. They usually felt better within two days.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:57 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Mmm, I think that there is some new research that says giving Motrin or Tylenol before vaccines can interfere with them "taking."

This does not help you now, but I would absolutely refuse to give my baby 4 or 5 vaccines at once. Many of the vaccines are more than one component, and it's overload on the baby's system. I'd suggest telling your doctor that you want one or two vaccines per visit, and that you'll come once per month. You can catch up between six and 15 months, when the normal well-visits are only scheduled every three months.

Good luck! Hope your baby is feeling better very soon!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,417 times
My daughter's pediatrician always suggested I put a warm washcloth on the injection site to disperse faster. Sometimes they stay at the site instead of releasing into the body. Makes baby sore and it can become feverish (the site).

Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM

67 posts, read 107,797 times
I wouldn't allow a baby or even a young kid for that matter to get more than two shots at a time. That doesn't help you with the current problem, but it's just a word of advice. A natural approach to the pain is what. NoExcuses posted. I've done it before and it seems to sooth the baby a lot.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,154 times
Thanks for the replies. She finally fell asleep at 11 p.m. last night after much cuddling and nursing. She's doing better today although she's not quite herself.

I'll talk to our pediatrician at our next visit about reducing the number of immunizations she receives at each visit.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
lisa, I am one of the nut job moms who only allow one vaccine a visit. even if that means we show up more often at the docs. Its alot to put in their little systems at once. ...maybe slow down the schedule and take your time w/ vaccines in the beginning? especially if she is breastfed! That makes for a strong immune system in a baby.

I don't think my first was vaccinated at all until 4 months, then again at 6 months and 9 months and that was only dtap.
We reluctantly agreed to prevnar around 10, 14 and 16 months as it is most active in children during the 1-2 yr span.
All else is on hold for a while.

we caught up when she weaned and entered into booger sharing toddlerhood .

....just a thought.

get the vaccine book. it gives you different schedule options and well rounded(doesn't lean one way or the other).

Last edited by kelly3120; 03-26-2010 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: thought of a book

Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
You should research the vaccines.

I had my children on a modified schedule. I only allowed them to have two Vaccines at the same time and would space them all at least a week or two apart. I would never allow two Live vaccines at the same time either as a family in the field told me this was not good.

Some of them I even held off on until she was older and better able to handle them.

Don't just trust someone to do whats best for your child, look into it yourself, research it, I found it enlightening.

There is no rush for some of the shots, as long as they get them by school time you are good. Make sure you give the real important ones such as tetanus etc first, put the others off for awhile.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
You should research the vaccines.

Don't just trust someone to do whats best for your child, look into it yourself, research it, I found it enlightening.

There is no rush for some of the shots, as long as they get them by school time you are good. Make sure you give the real important ones such as tetanus etc first, put the others off for awhile.
yup yup! doctors are humans contrary to what most believe.
the way we figured out where to start was to do the shots that prevented horrible diseases first. some are for sickness and aren't as needed.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Sorry to hear your baby is having a tough time, we've definitely been there. As others have suggested a nice warm compress or bath can go a long way. The Tylenol and Motrin thing used to be standard practice, but there is some research that just came out that recommends not doing it as it can lower the efficacy of the vaccine.

My wife and I are both a proponent of vaccination, but we are also smart about it. Our pediatrician is very respected locally and she follows a modified vaccine regimen that includes no more than two shots at any time and spaces them out accordingly. The kids have still had some occasional discomfort, but nothing that severe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting