Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,015,853 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...please learn CPR in case your baby vomits, aspirates and stops breathing as a result. Whatever the reason may be, parents should know how to do effective CPR. Today was one of the worst days in my career having to try to revive a 5 month old. He did not make it. I feel horrible. I don't think the parents knew what to do. They panicked. Police got there quick and started CPR, we tried our best...but they pronounced the cute little guy 10 mins after we got to the hospital. Please take the time to prepare yourselves and learn CPR.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,674,213 times
I'm sorry about your sadness. It will take a while to work through, things like that always do.

CPR classes here are very expensive. I have looked into them before. It might be a good idea to talk to the police chief and fire chief to find out if they can offer it to people more reasonably.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:21 AM

843 posts, read 1,423,415 times
Most American Red Cross classes that I've seen have been around $50. not too expensive to save a child's life. IMO

Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,421,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Hey everyone...please learn CPR in case your baby vomits, aspirates and stops breathing as a result. Whatever the reason may be, parents should know how to do effective CPR. Today was one of the worst days in my career having to try to revive a 5 month old. He did not make it. I feel horrible. I don't think the parents knew what to do. They panicked. Police got there quick and started CPR, we tried our best...but they pronounced the cute little guy 10 mins after we got to the hospital. Please take the time to prepare yourselves and learn CPR.

Thanks.
At my CPR courses we were told to hold the person (child) on his/her side to let the vomit go out... You can't hold them in a supine position doing CPR - exactly because the person can aspirate.... But I suppose you arrived after the infant had aspirated. So sorry.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,674,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Most American Red Cross classes that I've seen have been around $50. not too expensive to save a child's life. IMO
Not, I suppose, if you have that much as disposable income.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,843,906 times
Here is a link to a site that offers ways of recieving free CPR training.

How to Get Free CPR Classes | eHow.com

Where there is a will, there is a way, one may just have to make a little effort in finding classes that do not charge.

Along with CPR it's also good to learn the Heimlich Maneuver for both adults and children. I knew a young boy, who was probably about 4 or 5 yo. at the time who happened to save his younger brother's life (who was about 2yo) becuase he happened to see a show several nights before where someone used the heimlich maneuver. When his younger brother started to choke the older boy just copied what he had seen on t.v. and was able to dislodge whatever it was his younger brother was choking on.

To The OP: I am very sorry that you and the others who responded to the call had to go through that. It is always sad when a young child dies, especially when it could have been prevented with a calm head and a little knowledge. Thank-you though for not allowing his death to be in vain and bringing this to the attention of others and the importance of learning CPR. Maybe his untimely and unfortunate death will help save a life tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,021,124 times
How very very sad.
With my first child, she was born at 27weeks, and when she was finally ready to come home, we had to take a CPR class at the hospital before we were allowed to bring her home. I wish it was standard w/all babies.....when my son was born full term 4yrs later at the same hospital, it was not even mentioned.
If only they were able to do at least a short version for each parent either before sending them home, or at the first baby check up w/the pediatrician. Seems like it would be fairly quick and easy enough to do......

Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,140,464 times
I agree, EVERYONE should learn CPR, not just parents, and the Heimlich Maneuver should be a part of that. What could be more valuable than knowing how to save a persons life, especially your wife's or child's? We spend thousands of dollars and years of our time going to college but never learn CPR? That doesn't make sense!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,376,382 times
I have a friend whose premature baby was in the same situation as the OP described. Luckily, my friend knew CPR and was able to get him breathing again before the paramedics arrived. He could have died otherwise.

I'm fortunate in that I've received free CPR training through my church b/c I volunteer with young kids (the church hires an EMT to do Red Cross training once a year and everyone must attend). For those who don't have access to free classes, I would call your local EMT squad and see if there's someone who would offer the training to a small group (group of friends, family, neighbors, whatever) for a reasonable rate. Otherwise, there must be a free video somewhere on the Internet that would provide some fee training, if not the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting