Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 09:32 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,664,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Anyone curious about where the OP is?
I'm guessing they gave up by now, considering their question was originally asked in a state forum, turned into a judgment and scorn, and finally was moved to a parenting forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I'm guessing they gave up by now, considering their question was originally asked in a state forum, turned into a judgment and scorn, and finally was moved to a parenting forum.
Agreed. It seems to me that the OP was looking for local recommendations for actual doctors she could schedule an appointment to see her children.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
Call your insurance for advise on such a doctor or contact your church. i would think its more a case of your insurnace not seegn your natural docotre as a approved provider really.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:32 PM

14,349 posts, read 14,165,853 times

.................................................. .................................................. ..

How would you feel if a poster posted a question asking the forum to comment on different ways that she could neglect or abuse her children? Would such a post be worthy of recommendations? Or do you think opposition and criticism would be more likely?

Here's a simple reality of life: All people are entitled to an opinion and all people are entitled to express that opinion. However, this does not mean that "all opinions are equal". Some opinions are just plain ignorant and dumb. I tend to leave people like that alone unless (and this is really the crux) that opinion is dangerous to others. An opinion that children do not need vaccines is not simply ignorant. Its dangerous. Millions of children died of red measles, smallpox (which has now been eliminated because of aggressive vaccination), polio, whooping cough, and diptheria. Tetanus killed far fewer, but can be a very deadly disease for those not innoculated.

You say something that is both ignorant and dangerous (especially to innocent children) and yes, you maybe deservedly criticized for that. Maybe just, just maybe that sort of criticism will jar someone like that into reality. Probably not, but one can hope for the sake of her kids it does.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM

526 posts, read 999,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Anyone curious about where the OP is?

Probably in the hospital with diptheria

Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,202,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiTorrey View Post
isn't this thread about helping her find a dr. not bashing her views?
It's fair to do both......

Old 03-31-2010, 04:28 PM

4,359 posts, read 4,204,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
You DO live in the USA right?

Most of the time.

So you want to trample all over someone else's religious freedoms for your own sense of safety? Nice, very nice.

No more so than the government tramples over the rights of the polygamists or Rastafarians whose choices do not directly affect the public the way an outbreak would. And I believe that there is precedent for placing public safety over individual rights.

Last I checked, public schools were paid for by the PUBLIC, for use for all children of the local PUBLIC.

...who agree to abide by the rules of that public school and state laws. That's why so many people choose homeschooling or private schools.

My DD will NOT be receiving the Gardisil shots. I refuse to allow her to be a guinea pig for Big Pharma, especially when this shot only inhibits 4 of the 1,000's of types of HPV. Not worth the risk, especially since so many young women have been rendered sterile, have contracted cancer (yes the one the shot is supposed to prevent), and even died from this vacc, and it's not even that old. (Feb 06 is when the clinicals stopped)

If our school district required that vac for all girls in school, I would either get a waiver for that vac, or find a new school.
I can't see why a district would require the HPV vaccine, as it is not communicable in normal classroom conduct. I believe that has not changed.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I remember my Mom and the neighbors deciding to have a chicken pox party when one of us came down with them! We all had fun, all got chicken pox, and now, hopefully, all have immunity!
I remember when that idea was a Far Side cartoon!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It is real research.

I'm aware that the cause of shingles is the reactivation of the chicken pox virus that stays in the body after natural infection or immunization. This research simply shows that when people who have already had chicken pox are repeatedly re-exposed to the virus (by real people who have chicken pox) it provides them with better protection from shingles by boosting their immunity and suppressing the virus from re-emerging in the form of shingles. Since we no longer have large groups of people walking around with chicken pox, there is no chance to become re-exposed.
So you are saying people didn't get shingles before the chickenpox vaccine? Do you have any evidence that the incidence of shingles is increasing since the introduction of the vaccine?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,167,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you are saying people didn't get shingles before the chickenpox vaccine? Do you have any evidence that the incidence of shingles is increasing since the introduction of the vaccine?
No, I'm not saying that at all.

STUDY REVEALS IMPORTANT SIDE EFFECT OF MASS VARICELLA VACCINATION OF HEALTHY CHILDREN: Reduction in chickenpox may increase incidence of shingles.
Quote:
The results of a new study published in the October 1, 2003, issue of the European journal Vaccine indicate that a higher than expected number of shingles cases was reported among children with a previous history of chickenpox. The rates observed approach those normally seen only in older adults. Results of the study suggest mass vaccination with varicella (chickenpox) vaccine may be responsible for this adverse effect.
Quote:
From 1995 to 2000, shingles was not studied, and positive aspects of vaccination contributed by Dr. Goldman were published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) and other medical journals. In 2000, after hearing reports of school nurses observing cases of shingles in children for the first time, Goldman suggested shingles be added to the active surveillance project. After two years of shingles data collection, Goldman documented the adverse effects that might well be associated with the universal varicella vaccination program.
I am saying that there is more research to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting