Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,192,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It's a very personal matter.

I dealt w/ watching my infant catch some very bad things from daycare & spending scary moments in the ER where I also saw things.

I've lived a remote village in S. Korea and seen what ppor nutrition, hygiene and healthcare do to children.

Does not mean I walk blindly through it all.

Both sides deserve to be respected. We are blessed in this country to even have a choice & ALL the options we do. I doubt half the people who get so crazy on either side have lived outside their bubble or protection or seen much of the world. Not their city or a different state..the world.

Some people on both sides have choosen to live in a bubble & that is the most dangerous; far more dangerous than deciding no/yes to vaccinations
That's just it....it ISN'T strictly a "personal matter"

Its a "public health issue".....

Someone who chooses not to vaccinate their own children (without good cause) is not only putting their own children at risk but other children at risk as well...

As someone who has done medical mission work and I can also state that I have been outside the "US bubble" and have seen first hand what havoc results from a lack of a comprehensive vaccination program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,192,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Good perspective.

Unrelated to the above post, I don't think that anyone who chooses not to vaccinate should be surprised or offended to receive medical advice to the contrary. It isn't necessarily disrespect for a physician to diligently attempt to get his or her patients to follow the recommendations of the WHO and the AMA and I think it would be reasonable to be very wary of a medical doctor who did NOT chime in about the risks of withholding vaccination. If a parent is courageous and sophisticated enough to make the decision not to vaccinate his or her children, then there isn't a good reason for that parent not to have skin thick enough to deal with some criticism of those choices and the LAST person you want to receive polarizing and reinforcing information regarding non-vaccination from is your pediatrician. Everyone needs some dissenting opinion, particularly in decisions with no small amount of risk involved.
Not the adjectives I would use in describing someone who chooses not to vaccinate....

They might feel a little less " courageous and sophisticated" if they or their children visited a 3rd world country where vaccines we take for granted aren't so readily available.

Parents who "choose" not to vaccinate aren't "sophisticated".....they are "complacent".....lulled into that state by never experiencing any adverse consequences from their "sophisticated and courageous"decisions.

Of course, if parents in increasing numbers continue making these "courageous and sophisticated" decisions relying on the herd immunity conferred by the "cowardly and unsophisticated" parents who DO choose to vaccinate....consequences WILL occur....guaranteed...

Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,699,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not the adjectives I would use in describing someone who chooses not to vaccinate....

They might feel a little less " courageous and sophisticated" if they or their children visited a 3rd world country where vaccines we take for granted aren't so readily available.

Parents who "choose" not to vaccinate aren't "sophisticated".....they are "complacent".....lulled into that state by never experiencing any adverse consequences from their "sophisticated and courageous"decisions.

Of course, if parents in increasing numbers continue making these "courageous and sophisticated" decisions relying on the herd immunity conferred by the "cowardly and unsophisticated" parents who DO choose to vaccinate....consequences WILL occur....guaranteed...
I actually couldn't agree more...

Courageous as in "having the courage of ones convictions regardless of how misguided" and sophisticated as in "sophisticated enough to know something that none of these stupid MD's seem to understand"

I merely strive for some modicum of diplomacy (unless a grumpy PA is giving me the business).

Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,438,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
That's just it....it ISN'T strictly a "personal matter"

Its a "public health issue".....

Someone who chooses not to vaccinate their own children (without good cause) is not only putting their own children at risk but other children at risk as well...

As someone who has done medical mission work and I can also state that I have been outside the "US bubble" and have seen first hand what havoc results from a lack of a comprehensive vaccination program
That's what bugs me about this. It's not just THEIR kids they're risking. It's mine too. What gives them the right to risk my kids? I'm sad for their kids that they have the right to risk them but my kids didn't ask to be exposed if their kids cause a disease to spread.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I got the pox the Friday before the Christmas break in 6th grade, and I think half the town spent the night at my house for a huge pox party, lol!
If this had occured around my daughter, she'd probably have shingles because your family thought it was a joke. Some kids get very sick from chicken pox. My daugther is at high risk. This kind of behavior puts her quality of life at risk. What gives people like you the right to, deliberately, spread diseases like this? You have no idea, nor do you appear to care, what risks you take with others health.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Good perspective.

Unrelated to the above post, I don't think that anyone who chooses not to vaccinate should be surprised or offended to receive medical advice to the contrary. It isn't necessarily disrespect for a physician to diligently attempt to get his or her patients to follow the recommendations of the WHO and the AMA and I think it would be reasonable to be very wary of a medical doctor who did NOT chime in about the risks of withholding vaccination. If a parent is courageous and sophisticated enough to make the decision not to vaccinate his or her children, then there isn't a good reason for that parent not to have skin thick enough to deal with some criticism of those choices and the LAST person you want to receive polarizing and reinforcing information regarding non-vaccination from is your pediatrician. Everyone needs some dissenting opinion, particularly in decisions with no small amount of risk involved.
ITA. I chose not to give my dd Guardisil. I presented my argument to her doctor and he didn't argue with me. My arguments were sound. We've agreed to revisit this when she's 17 and see what the issues prove to be with the vaccine and decide then if it's worth the risk.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:26 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,699,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ITA. I chose not to give my dd Guardisil. I presented my argument to her doctor and he didn't argue with me. My arguments were sound. We've agreed to revisit this when she's 17 and see what the issues prove to be with the vaccine and decide then if it's worth the risk.
Guardisil wasn't even on my radar as I was typing that... My brain really wants to put that in a category separate and away from childhood immunizations - but I think yours was a pretty reasonable response. My understanding is that guardisil doesn't protect against all types of HPV and not even all types that can be associated with cervical cancer. I would think twice about that, also.

How old was your daughter when this happened?

Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,030,185 times
I had a conversation about this with a doctor and it made a lot of sense to me. People who don't vaccinate now are protected at the moment because most people do. As soon as it starts to shift where less people are vaccinating it will be a much different story.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,326 times
Quote:
If this had occured around my daughter, she'd probably have shingles because your family thought it was a joke. Some kids get very sick from chicken pox. My daugther is at high risk. This kind of behavior puts her quality of life at risk. What gives people like you the right to, deliberately, spread diseases like this? You have no idea, nor do you appear to care, what risks you take with others health.
This is why your daughter is vaccinated, no?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,664,136 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that any parent who chose to have a chicken pox party would make it very clear that is what it is! If your daughter is in a high risk category, you wouldn't send her to this type of party! Come on now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting