Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 PM

108 posts, read 473,594 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there have a child in a Montessori school? My 5-year-old started regular public school this past year, but after the winter break, we took him out and enrolled him in a private Motessori school with only 20 total students. It was SO much better, just to have positive teachers. He even learned how to sew, wash dishes, and clean the classroom! Not that he does that at home...

In public school, EVERY day he came home with a bad note about (to me) regular boy behavior. His teacher punished him by demoting him to a lower reading group, and he had to sit out EVERY recess. His cousin was in the same school, so often, it was the two of them getting into trouble. The school counselor barely knew his name, met with him one time, but suggested psychiatric help! Everyone labeled him "troublemaker" and he learned to live up to that. But in his new school, it was a completely different story. I have had only ONE report of bad behavior, and academically, he is doing great.

BUT, private school is expensive ($475/month - and that's cheaper than metro areas), and it was a struggle for us to send him there this year. My question is this: how much of a difference does it make? The school only goes through 1st grade (they are new, and don't have the resources to teach older grades).

Anyone with relavent M. school experience, I'd appreciate your feedback! I have to decide before the end of the school year. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:10 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,198,110 times
why do you need to ask this question
just read your own post
it says it all
can you see the difference in your child?
does he seem happier?
has his attitude changed from troublemaker to straight "A" student?
so you don't get extras this year
but hopefully after this year the learning process will be instilled in him and he should flourish wherever he goes

Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,789,034 times
$475! Wow I pay $860 a month for Montessori school! Both of my kids went to Montessori school. My oldest went through kindergarten my youngest is there now and will be in kindergarten next year. I love the school and may actually move my oldest back next year for middle school.

The answer to your question depends on your child. My first one went to Montessori and flourished. My second one will go to regular kindergarten because it was suggested to me (by his Montessori teacher with 32 years teaching experience) that some children do better in a situation where all the kids do the same thing at the same time. So I would talk to his teachers and see what they recommend.

That said if you really can't afford it then stop feeling guilty and put him in regular school. If you are stressed to pay for school it will affect him, happy parents make happy kids. Kids have been surviving regular school for generations and I'm sure your child will do fine there as well.

Last edited by irishmom; 05-10-2007 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-11-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
why do you need to ask this question
just read your own post
it says it all
can you see the difference in your child?
does he seem happier?
has his attitude changed from troublemaker to straight "A" student?
so you don't get extras this year
but hopefully after this year the learning process will be instilled in him and he should flourish wherever he goes
Again, I don't think you and I understand each other. That's why I asked for someone with RELAVENT experience to respond, not just someone who likes to give advice and feel important.

My son did not change into a different person when we switched schools. It was the positive affect of the people around him that brought out the positive in him.

I respect that you are a mom of four, but please don't respond to my posts in the future, it just raises my blood pressure. Actually, I'll just remove myself from this forum.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,789,034 times
I don't understand your hositility to someone that took the time to answer your question. I think her post was very informative asking you to look to your own child for indications as to weather or not the Montessori experience is truly worth it. That is the best indicator. As I said previously one of my children flourished in Montessori and the other is better suited to regular school. Possibly you don't want to really hear the answer you got but that's no reason to insult the poster.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:02 AM

548 posts, read 2,640,172 times
I thought dncngrl1964's response was good.

Since each child is different, I think the best relevant experience for your child is his own. If he is doing well there, and you like the changes you've seen...then it sounds like it would be good to keep him there as long as possible. Also, a child's teacher (whether public or private) has a lot to do with how that class will go, so it may be that he has better luck w/a teacher in public when he re-enters in 2nd grade (or next year if you decide to do that).

Just based on your post though, I would say that since he had a hard time in public, then a good time in Montessori, he might be really confused why you would move him back to public again before he needs to. I would think that would be tough socially too--so many changes.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,198,110 times
Thank you all for your positive re-enforcement

I don't know why she has it out for me
but this is the second time she has done it

I guess she only want to hear the answers that suit her needs

in that case maybe she shouldn't post\

why not ask your doctor or your minister for the answers you seek instead of total strangers

see irish now I am mad

Old 05-11-2007, 02:36 PM

No, you're all right, I way overreacted. Sorry about that, I guess I was just very stressed out. There was no reason to write that. People are different, have different ways of looking at things, etc. Again, I sincerely apologize for my comment.
NOW I'm leaving...

Old 06-02-2007, 05:57 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,281,791 times
My twins attended a Montessori from age 2.5 until they were 8 (through 3rd grade). It was a wonderful experience for them. Academically, the self-paced work was more challenging than our local (and very good) public school. I believe it was a great early education experience and formed a solid academic foundation.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:43 AM

743 posts, read 2,228,159 times
Irishmom....yet, something else we have in common Do you know of Maria Montessori's religious atrium, called the The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd? I'm guessing you would love it

I am a huge supporter of Montessori education. All three of my kids attended for the first three years (what they call primary 3-6 year olds). My youngest will attend her kindergarden year there next fall. With our first, my dh thought all pre-schools were the same....well, after observing in four schools (3 traditional and one Mont)...he said something like "I don't know what Mont is, but I want it for our child."

To anyone who has never been in a Mont classroom.....the entire environment, their "work", their way of "disciplining"...it's all quite amazing. The only thing negative I've found is that after 3 years in a Mont school, it makes going to first grade pretty boring....since most Mont kids have already been exposed to doing more "purposeful" work...at least that's how it's been for my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting