Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:50 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
But don't you think an 11 year old will do much better with the vaccine than an infant with a brand new immune system?
I don't, no. But, I understand parent's reluctance to do the 8 shots in 1 pediatric well-baby visits.

That's why it's important to get a good pediatrician. We found ours after "trial and error" and I have always appreciated her candor and honesty. Yes, she wants me to immunize my kids, but when I mentioned to her that I wasn't comfortable with the H1N1 or the HPV vaccines, she said, "no problem". She also gave me the option of getting my kids their flu vaccine via nasal spray instead of an injection because I was a little apprehensive in doing yet another shot on the same day my baby got all of her other ones. She also told me that they can and do offer the MMR shot in 3 different doses for parents who are concerned about the 3-in-1 shot (which rumor has it is the cause of autism) and that she's had a few parents who have opted to come in gradually to get their kids immunized rather than doing it all on the same day.

A good pediatrician wants you to immunize your kids...a great one will help you do it in a way that makes you comfortable, and if spreading out their visits so they're not getting 4 shots in each leg on the same day will get your kid immunized, there are plenty of good pediatricians who will do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
I have also had a doctor tell me that vaccines are "totally safe," and that the side effects are no worse than a sore arm/leg. When I expressed my concern about more serious side effects, he said "it is my job to convince you to vaccinate your child. You can tell me your concerns, but my job is to make sure that you fully vaccinate." So basically he was saying "I will repeat the same thing over and over again, because my main concern is the bottom line." Needless to say, we did not continue with that pediatrician!

I have a good ped now, and we're actually going to re-visit the vaccine issue later this month. I skipped the MMR, and I am now considering catching the kids up on that, now that they're not toddlers, and I also want to have them titered for chickenpox (they were exposed several times, but never developed it). Our ped is the father of 5 and I trust him. He takes my concerns seriously and while he recommends the vaccines, he understands why I have chosen to delay/skip some.
Good for you...I just moved to South Florida, so I'm in the process of looking for a good pediatrician.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
um...."complete" and 100% are the same thing. Less than 100% would be incomplete or not completely safe....I added 100% for emphasis/clarity because I have never had a doctor tell me anything was completely safe.

I read the original post but I was responding to your assertion. You obviously have disdain for the mainstream medical profession but at least give them credit for providing the information they believe to be the best. If you have no faith in MDs you most likely wouldn't be going to one anyway. There is nothing in the world wrong with them trying to convince a parent to provide the best health and protection available. That, in fact, is their job. A parent can certainly disagree and/or choose another physician/practitioner but each one will try to convince them that their philosophy is best -even those who don't believe in vaccinations.

ETA - how is an MD who tries to convince a parent to vaccinate any different than a DO or naturopath trying to convince a parent NOT to vaccinate? Would you say the same then? That a call to a naturopath if you were considering changing your mind and deciding at some later date to go ahead and vaccinate, was "a waste of time" - since you already know, that practitioner is going to try to convince you otherwise?
This is such a complicated subject that I'm just too lazy to discuss.

I don't have disdain for MDs. They are hard-working people who do exactly what they were taught to do.
We are in the process of looking for pediatrician, but they are certainly my last resort when it comes to taking care of my child.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
This is such a complicated subject that I'm just too lazy to discuss.
It's not a complicated subject at all. I am not discussing pro or con vaccinations only the fact that practitioners on either side are going to try to convince you to do what they truly believe is the best thing. That is what they ALL are "taught" to do. If they didn't believe it they wouldn't be doing it. Additional phone calls from a parent, to a practitioner that result in additional information to take into consideration, is never a wasted phone call. See? It really wasn't that complicated.

And if you didn't follow their philosophy or beliefs to begin with, I have no idea why you'd be seeing them and entrusting your health or the health of your child in the the first place.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I don't have disdain for MDs. They are hard-working people who do exactly what they were taught to do.
We are in the process of looking for pediatrician, but they are certainly my last resort when it comes to taking care of my child.
A) why would you be looking for someone to care for your child if that person was your "last resort"?

B) Of course I can tell you have no disdain for those (poor, inept and unquestioning sheep implied) who work so hard doing only what they were taught to do.......which brings me back again to "A": Why would you be looking for someone like that to care for your child?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
It's not a complicated subject at all. I am not discussing pro or con vaccinations only the fact that practitioners on either side are going to try to convince you to do what they truly believe is the best thing. That is what they ALL are "taught" to do. If they didn't believe it they wouldn't be doing it. Additional phone calls from a parent, to a practitioner that result in additional information to take into consideration, is never a wasted phone call. See? It really wasn't that complicated.

And if you didn't follow their philosophy or beliefs to begin with, I have no idea why you'd be seeing them and entrusting your health or the health of your child in the the first place.
I was talking about the subject of an MD vs naturopath and trusting pediatricians...THAT topic.

Last resort...what I mean by that is that I first look into providing the treatment for my child myself, making decisions myself and then, if I feel needed, as last resort, I will take him to pediatrician.

And enough starting off **** with me.
You have your own opinion, I have mine. Let's agree to disagree.

PS: naturopath has nothing to gain financially when he recommends not to vaccinate, which is what I cannot say for pediatricians. That's the difference, dear.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM

First off, I'm not your "dear" but thanks anyway.

I'm not starting anything with you just saying it's only fair to give both sides credit for putting what they believe into practice. If you truly believe that the mainstream medical community is pushing vaccines for their own financial gain even to the extent that they are willingly and knowingly putting children at risk, then I'm calling BS. That would be like me saying that naturopaths certainly have their own financial gain involved because by NOT vaccinating children, they will possible get sick more often and seek whatever potion of the day the naturopath is pushing (that is NOT what I believe BTW just trying to compare apples to apples)...
You don't have to believe the same as I do or as most MDs do...but to infer that pediatricians vaccinate solely for personal financial gain is beyond ridiculous.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
If you have a doctor (any doctor - not just a pediatrician) that doesn't take your questions and concerns seriously then you need to get a different doctor. I have never been told by any doctor that any shot or procedure is "completely safe" nor have I ever been called crazy.
I had to go in for an ultrasound for #3 around 12 weeks and remember asking the doctor "Does everything look ok?" And he looked at me and said along these lines "I never use the word "ok" or "normal. All I can tell you is that the fetus is developing at this time." At 20 weeks, he said basically the same thing: "Growing accordingly and measurements on track".

My ped has never promised me anything. She has told me at times that medicine has gotten out of hand. Yet, she has always respected my feelings. My gen prac has suggested surgery for deviated septum (I get terrible sinus headaches during allergy season) but has told me over & over that surgery is no guarantee the headaches will go away.

I've yet to EVER run across a ped who doesn't answer my question. If I did, I'd move on to a new one. And another until I found one who I felt comfortable with caring for my children.

I have noticed ER docs to be in a hurry but at the same time, I also think sometimes, if they stopped and chatted for hours on end trying to justify their reasons for waking up in the morning, we'd all be second guessing them and ourselves. We had to take #2 in to the ER last Oct (just caught a nasty virus) & the doc took my hand as I must have been giving off some worried vibe & told me "He has no fluid in his lungs. His xrays are clear. I am not hearing a "junky" sound in his breathing. Continue monitoriing him. You did the right thing bringing him here and continue watching him at home."

Wow, and to think these people are doctors!!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
They are hard-working people who do exactly what they were taught to do.

As are chiropracters and those who practive alternative medicine though right now the profit is found in the latter....

Old 04-09-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
First off, I'm not your "dear" but thanks anyway.

I'm not starting anything with you just saying it's only fair to give both sides credit for putting what they believe into practice. If you truly believe that the mainstream medical community is pushing vaccines for their own financial gain even to the extent that they are willingly and knowingly putting children at risk, then I'm calling BS. That would be like me saying that naturopaths certainly have their own financial gain involved because by NOT vaccinating children, they will possible get sick more often and seek whatever potion of the day the naturopath is pushing (that is NOT what I believe BTW just trying to compare apples to apples)...
You don't have to believe the same as I do or as most MDs do...but to infer that pediatricians vaccinate solely for personal financial gain is beyond ridiculous.
Can you please not put words in my mouth over and over and over again?

First saying that I have "an obvious disdain towards MDs", which is not true. I wouldn't have been looking for pediatrician if I had such a disdain for them, and you know, I even have a regular physician for myself. And I take advil when I have a headache. Can you believe it????

Secondly saying that I believe that pediatricians do it ONLY for financial gain. That's something you just came up with to further your agenda, although the mighty buck plays a big part.

I just want my words to stay on their own, enough of your digging to prove a point. Is your name "countess"? (inside NY joke).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting