Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

A St. Paul woman says although state law is on her side, an eatery forced her to leave for feeding her son. The Maplewood restaurant says her fiance's behavior was the problem.

Kicked out for breastfeeding? A St. Paul mother takes issue with the treatment she got at restaurant - TwinCities.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A St. Paul woman says although state law is on her side, an eatery forced her to leave for feeding her son. The Maplewood restaurant says her fiance's behavior was the problem.

Kicked out for breastfeeding? A St. Paul mother takes issue with the treatment she got at restaurant - TwinCities.com
It sounds like she was making reasonable accommodation so that her boob wasn't hanging out for all the world to see.

Personally, I find breast feeding in public repulsive, but not everybody feels like I do. Apparently, the waiter and manager of the restaurant did.

They have the right to refuse service to anyone, I would say. They got a refund. So what's the big deal?

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It sounds like she was making reasonable accommodation so that her boob wasn't hanging out for all the world to see.

Personally, I find breast feeding in public repulsive, but not everybody feels like I do. Apparently, the waiter and manager of the restaurant did.

They have the right to refuse service to anyone, I would say. They got a refund. So what's the big deal?

20yrsinBranson
LOL, you would say. That doesn't mean anything at all. Who are you to say when there is LAW on the books?
Read the article. A breastfeeding mother is legally protected.
Now, the restaurant owner says they were asked to leave because of the boyfriend's loud response to the ILLEGAL demand that she cover up.

That's not any different than telling a blind person they have to leave their guide dog outside when they legally have the right to have the dog with them. Then, when the blind person protests they are kicked out for being 'unruly', not because they have a dog.

Come on.....

Quote:
Personally, I find breast feeding in public repulsive,
Then you shouldn't do it in public.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,417 times
I'm not understanding why some mothers insist on making it a big deal and causing so much attention to be brought on them.

Breastfeeding is a personal act between a baby and mother. It isn't taking a spoon out and feeding a baby, it's taking a BREAST out and feeding a baby. The breast is a private part of a woman's body. Because a baby eats from it, doesn't mean the rest of us have to see it. Going topless isn't ok so why is breastfeeding in a public place ok? It's showing the breast to the public.

We don't give birth to babies out in public. It's private. I breastfed, but did it where I wasn't going to bring any attention on myself or baby.

The movement seems to be IN-YOUR-FACE these past few years and it's disturbing.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yes it was. The story reports that the mother had on a low cut blouse and pulled it down to expose her breast. That means there was nothing over it. She could have pulled her shirt up so she was at least partially covered, but chose not to.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I do believe the restaurant's reason that they were asked to leave because the fiance was making a rude scene.

The mother even admitted that her fiance has a loud voice. That tells me there's some truth to the restaurant's side of the story.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
I'm all for women breastfeeding in public, but I think a line can be drawn at a private establishment.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm all for women breastfeeding in public, but I think a line can be drawn at a private establishment.
It depends on state law. Missouri has a law the allows women to breastfeed in any public or private place. 44 states have that law.

Breastfeeding State Laws

Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,293 times
My guess is that this woman was deliberately trying to provoke something - maybe a potential for monetary gains from a lawsuit, maybe a rebellious attempt to challenge people or maybe just for attention. But, the fact that this was not the first time she was asked to cover-up and had taken the time to research the law suggests she was trying to instigate something. I breastfed both of my children, often times, when necessary in public. But, it is possible to do so discretely. I was never asked to stop because I did so discretely. Yes, babies sometimes wiggle off the blanket covering them. But the fact that the woman flatly refused to even try and place the blanket over the baby when asked, tells me she wasn't attempting to be discrete. I am ALL FOR breastfeeding, and agree with the law allowing it in public, but think women need to be respectful of others and should do it discretely. I don't know whether the restaurant has a right to by-pass the law because it is a private establishment. I guess we will wait and see. Personally, I hope they do. Just the humble opinion of a very considerate, PRO BREASTFEEDING mom!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It depends on state law. Missouri has a law the allows women to breastfeed in any public or private place. 44 states have that law.

Breastfeeding State Laws
I was just giving my thoughts on how I feel about this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting