Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,897 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Miami, FL. I have 2 children. One of them a teenager. I have always lived in miami, and it was a fine place, but my teenage son came home telling me that he saw a high speed chase while in p.e on the street. He also saw a motorcycle crash right in front of his eyes while waiting for me to come pick him up! He's also gone to parties where kids have sex and smoke weed. He also tells me he doesn't learn anything at school when i ask him about his grades. He's even starting to hang out with the wrong crowd. I really don't want my toddler living like this, i don't know what to do. Any city or place that has good schools and i don't have to worry about things like this? And i'd like to hear opinions about raising children in miami.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Sorry to break it to you, but sex and pot are going to exist at just about every high school in the country. The only way to avoid it is to impart the right values to your son so that he is strong enough to avoid them and befriend the right type of people.

Why not stop him from going to parties if you don't know the parents of the kid throwing the party? If no parents are going to be there, he doesn't get to go.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
The poster above me is correct.. I live in one of the best ranked school districts in the country, and that junk still happens. Sure, it probably happens more in an inner city school, but every school has that ''rough crowd''.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida345 View Post
I am currently living in Miami, FL. I have 2 children. One of them a teenager. I have always lived in miami, and it was a fine place, but my teenage son came home telling me that he saw a high speed chase while in p.e on the street. He also saw a motorcycle crash right in front of his eyes while waiting for me to come pick him up! He's also gone to parties where kids have sex and smoke weed. He also tells me he doesn't learn anything at school when i ask him about his grades. He's even starting to hang out with the wrong crowd. I really don't want my toddler living like this, i don't know what to do. Any city or place that has good schools and i don't have to worry about things like this? And i'd like to hear opinions about raising children in miami.

Thanks.
1. Bad stuff happens anywhere. Big cities, small towns, it doesn't matter. No place is perfect. We've lived in different places and really they have all been basically the same - just the weather, geography, and street names are different. They've all got stupid people doing stupid things, smart people working to make things better, and the others who sit around and do nothing except complain or talk a lot.

2. Find a parenting workshop or parenting classes that discuss parenting teens. These are really helpful in understanding your teenager and also just talking with other parents of teenagers and knowing you're not alone. It can be a strange time. There are also a lot of misconceptions. Love your son, he needs you even more now as a teenager even though he probably seems to place more importance on his friends. Teens need their parents in different ways than they did as younger children.

3. Don't just talk to him about his grades - talk to his teachers. Get the information directly from the source. This will also let him know that you care enough to get involved with his life and his education. If he sees you putting forth the effort to care, he will, too. Ask his school about ways you can get involved like volunteering or fundraising or running the school newsletter or website, etc.

Also - if the sex and drugs bother you, as a parent you can tell him you don't want him to go. It's going to happen though, and more and more the older he gets. The best thing you can do is to help him build up his own character and confidence so that he can make positive life choices and not do bad stuff that will take him down a slippery slope. Is he old enough to work? There are also volunteer opportunities... figure out what he's interested in and find a volunteer opportunity that matches it. If he's interested in music a lot of times the local college radio stations need volunteers. If he likes reading, see if there are opportunities at the library. Keeping him busy with positive things will help you all see that there is good in the world - not just all bad.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The sex and drugs happen everywhere, but I'd still move to a safer area where high speed chases aren't the norm.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The sex and drugs happen everywhere, but I'd still move to a safer area where high speed chases aren't the norm.
I agree. It does indeed happen everywhere but some places are better/worse than others. Also, I don't know if this is feasible for you, but regarding influences at school, have you considered home schooling? If I had it to do over again, I would at least consider it seriously. I would and did try to combat the unwholesome element by encouraging the wholesome element (church youth group etc.) It does help to have others reinforcing the values you desire to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting