Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I used to have just cell phones as well but I like having the land line b/c if 911 needs to be called they can trace it right away.
We have a landline now because Comcast holds us hostage with their bundle pack. I see the point you were trying to make though regarding kids getting too much too soon. I think as we embrace more technology we will have to pick our battles. I am firm believer that everyone needs to start off with basics and build up to the good things. I am always amazed when 16 yr old kids get brand new cars. Every kid needs to start out with a junker. How can you appreciate a new car if you always had one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
We have a landline now because Comcast holds us hostage with their bundle pack. I see the point you were trying to make though regarding kids getting too much too soon. I think as we embrace more technology we will have to pick our battles. I am firm believer that everyone needs to start off with basics and build up to the good things. I am always amazed when 16 yr old kids get brand new cars. Every kid needs to start out with a junker. How can you appreciate a new car if you always had one?
Thank you! I swear I'm not the villan I was being made to feel like.... j/k lol.
Seriously though, it is true that if someone has everything at such a young age, what is left? I've known people who always want to get the next big thing, always accumulating more and more and they go into debt oftentimes and are never truly happy. But for a kid it is worse I think, b/c they do not realize the value of money, or how much one has to work to get things.
Oh, and I'm stuck with Direct tv for 2 years so dont feel bad! lol I had to get it b/c the previous place we lived at didn't get Cox cable for some reason...oh well, at least my phone and internet are optional!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 PM

494 posts, read 890,474 times
Quote:
I used to have just cell phones as well but I like having the land line b/c if 911 needs to be called they can trace it right away.
You seriously need to get more up-to-date on cell phone technology. You don't need a land line in order for 911 services to know where you are. For some time now, all cell phones have been required to have a tracking chip automatically activated when 911 is called, even if the owner of the phone has turned tracking services off.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:37 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Thank you! I swear I'm not the villan I was being made to feel like.... j/k lol.
Seriously though, it is true that if someone has everything at such a young age, what is left? I've known people who always want to get the next big thing, always accumulating more and more and they go into debt oftentimes and are never truly happy. But for a kid it is worse I think, b/c they do not realize the value of money, or how much one has to work to get things.
Oh, and I'm stuck with Direct tv for 2 years so dont feel bad! lol I had to get it b/c the previous place we lived at didn't get Cox cable for some reason...oh well, at least my phone and internet are optional!
That is okay. I have been a villain on CD many a times I have been called a bleeding heart liberal and a neo nazi in the same day.

When I read your post, I understood what you were getting at. Like I said technology advances so fast that we have to pick our battles. I remember when I was a kid, my parents got cable. I still remember my grandfather being hostile and saying, "Pay for TV! I WILL NEVER PAY FOR TV WHEN ITS FREE!" Now pretty much everyone pays for TV. When I got my first computer in the early 90's, I was the only one that I knew who had a personal computer in the home. My MIL (who is convinced I am working on putting her dear son in the poor house) told me that it was an extravagant purchase and only offices had computers. Nowadays you are an out of touch odd ball, if you do not have a PC. There is a lot of technology out there but kids do not necessarily have to have, the best of the best first.

A prime example is when I bought my house, we purchased it from a young couple that were 22 yrs old. The house is brand new and hubby and I have worked hard over the years to build up to a house like this. This young couple got into the house because their parents foot the bill. They did not take care of it all. When we had the septic tank pumped, the service guy said whoever had this house before us would have ruined the tank in no time. The idiots had never had it pumped and flushed diapers down the toilet (who in the hell flushes diapers!). Some of the appliances failed after we moved in because they did not take care of them. They were brats at closing by the way and well just had no clue what a beautiful home they had.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:30 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
You seriously need to get more up-to-date on cell phone technology. You don't need a land line in order for 911 services to know where you are. For some time now, all cell phones have been required to have a tracking chip automatically activated when 911 is called, even if the owner of the phone has turned tracking services off.
The tracking technology is only as good as the 911 system in which the call is placed. In my high-density neighborhood, the triangulation model used to locate the phone would resolve to an area of more than a block in all directions, encompassing a hundred or more homes. In an emergency situation, it's quite possible that if a caller was unable to give a clear address, it would cause a delay that might mean the difference between life and death. In rural regions, the resolution area is even larger, and it's sometimes impossible to locate cell phones with older 911 systems.

There are significant limitations in using cell phones to call for emergency services. In almost all cases, a land line is still the way to go for the quickest and most reliable response. If you are considering foregoing a land line completely, especially in a household with children, I strongly suggest that you call your local provider and thoroughly investigate the pros and cons.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-12-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Additionally, if your children carry cell phones for emergencies, be sure that they understand the limitations and how important it is that they be able to provide clear directions to a 911 operator. It is essential that they remain calm and that they can communicate exactly where they are located to ensure quick arrival of emergency crews.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
The tracking technology is only as good as the 911 system in which the call is placed. In my high-density neighborhood, the triangulation model used to locate the phone would resolve to an area of more than a block in all directions, encompassing a hundred or more homes. In an emergency situation, it's quite possible that if a caller was unable to give a clear address, it would cause a delay that might mean the difference between life and death. In rural regions, the resolution area is even larger, and it's sometimes impossible to locate cell phones with older 911 systems.

There are significant limitations in using cell phones to call for emergency services. In almost all cases, a land line is still the way to go for the quickest and most reliable response. If you are considering foregoing a land line completely, especially in a household with children, I strongly suggest that you call your local provider and thoroughly investigate the pros and cons.
This is true for phones without GPS - our kids phones have GPS (most phones do these days) with a chaperon service. We can look on a map and get their exact coordinates. It's like geocaching - but instead of caches you find your kids.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
I know they can track 911 from cell phones...it's just quicker and more reliable from a land line. I never said it couldn't be traced froma cell! Furthermore, you don't know what I know about technology or anything else for that matter so you can stop with the sarcasm already....don't you have anyone else you can go antagonize?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I know they can track 911 from cell phones...it's just quicker and more reliable from a land line. I never said it couldn't be traced froma cell! Furthermore, you don't know what I know about technology or anything else for that matter so you can stop with the sarcasm already....don't you have anyone else you can go antagonize?
Please don't assume that your emergency response team will be able to find you or your kids quickly based on a cell phone signal! Make sure they know how important it is to communicate their location effectively when making 911 calls from a cell phone. At this point, the resolution is generally accurate to within 500 feet. In my high-density neighborhood, those parameters would narrow down my location to approximately 100 houses. Don't take chances when time is of the essence. If you have a choice, use a land line. Also, think carefully before becoming a cell-only household, especially where there are children involved.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-12-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
That is okay. I have been a villain on CD many a times I have been called a bleeding heart liberal and a neo nazi in the same day.

When I read your post, I understood what you were getting at. Like I said technology advances so fast that we have to pick our battles. I remember when I was a kid, my parents got cable. I still remember my grandfather being hostile and saying, "Pay for TV! I WILL NEVER PAY FOR TV WHEN ITS FREE!" Now pretty much everyone pays for TV.
Oh yeah...I've made many friends on the far right....not! lol
About the tv thing...when I was a kid growing up back in OH we had cable tv....for awhile. One day my grandfather decided we didn't need it anyymore, and I remember the day he disconected it. It was a rude awakening to only get the 3 channels we got then! Not only that, we had this tall antenna tower thing that we used for the tv, it was like 30 ft high.....that thing used to scare me b/c it was right next to my bedroom window and i was always afraid lighting was going to hit it!
I didn't get my first computer until I went back to college at age 30.Some of my kids learned how to use a computer by age 4 or 5. Yes, things have changed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting