Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
man, i ask this very question myself quite a lot, you know. 'cause it seems like the whole effin' world is full of people who pop out kids when they're shyt-poor. i never understood this, never will. here are some possible reasons:

1) kids make them feel worthy and needed
2) welfare money
3) they do it without thinking because everyone around them does it.
Low self-esteem?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
It seems to me that this is a question you would ask anyone with kids - not just those who can't afford them. It doesn't sound like you are a kid friendly person Texas - so just out of curiousity - what do you consider are the reasons that people DO have children that can afford them? I would imagine those are the same reasons that most people have children regardless of whether or not they can financially support said kids.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
It seems to me that this is a question you would ask anyone with kids - not just those who can't afford them. It doesn't sound like you are a kid friendly person Texas - so just out of curiousity - what do you consider are the reasons that people DO have children that can afford them? I would imagine those are the same reasons that most people have children regardless of whether or not they can financially support said kids.
I don't have a problem with people who have kids but why suffer yourself and let the kid suffer when you can't afford it?

Maybe they are not thinking the pros and cons of having a kid in the long run?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I don't have a problem with people who have kids but why suffer yourself and let the kid suffer when you can't afford it?

Maybe they are not thinking the pros and cons of having a kid in the long run?

I'm sure they don't. I also think that a lot of people don't realize the actual cost of children. I think...(don't quote me on this)...but they say that raising one child to the age of 18 easily costs several HUNDRED thousand dollars.

I think more people consider the emotional and time responsibilities as opposed to the money. And really, there are plenty of people who probably can't afford kids but do make it work without welfare - so it's not impossible.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Well that's a different part of the argument. I don't think anyone thinks 'Well I'm on welfare so let's have babies cuz I don't have to pay for it'
Oh but they have...at least in the past...you used to be able to stay on it no questions asked as long as you had a child under 5.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 PM

122 posts, read 330,620 times
i think a great number of societal problems stems from people having children without the means of supporting them properly. imagine how much more calm the world would be if people were a little more rational. alas, having children is the most irrational process.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they don't. I also think that a lot of people don't realize the actual cost of children. I think...(don't quote me on this)...but they say that raising one child to the age of 18 easily costs several HUNDRED thousand dollars.

I think more people consider the emotional and time responsibilities as opposed to the money. And really, there are plenty of people who probably can't afford kids but do make it work without welfare - so it's not impossible.
So they need to get educated before having kids. Also gov't should put a cap or some kind of law based on assets and income to see if they are qualified to have kid(s).

Don't forget the college costs also.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
I think often (note: not always) these are not planned pregnancies. At least, that's what I would venture to guess. I also don't think you can pin this on just two races - plenty of 'whites' fit this demographic as well.

For the most part though, I think that these parents try to be responsible and do what they can for the kids. Again, not always, but you can't ignore those that take responsibility for their actions and try to be good parents.
You would be wrong. At least with the "hispanics", many of them are here illegally and the baby not only gets them the easy way around immigration laws, it gets them free housing, food stamps, and much much more -- because the low wages paid to illegals will not get them much.

There are many forms of birth control today, including abstinence and you can't really believe all these people are completely ignroant about it. They have babies because the welfare life beats working hard for a living in their minds.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Well that's a different part of the argument. I don't think anyone thinks 'Well I'm on welfare so let's have babies cuz I don't have to pay for it'
But they do.

Welfare mothers know full well having babies GETS them a nice enough living, they know they'll be given free housing, food stamps, WIC, will not have any kind of hospital or medical bills. Plus no one will expect them to work for a living. They aren't so stupid that they thought they were going to have to pay something but went ahead and had babies and then were pleasantly surprised to find out it not only doesn't cost them a thing but brings in considerable government handouts.

A working middle class couple knows full well that when they have a baby, it's going to cost them plenty.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
There's a question I've wondered all my life.

I don't think it has anything to do with skin color or ethnic heritage. After a lot of thought, I believe part of it has to do with religion and part is BECAUSE they are poor. Let me give you a few examples.

"My church of XYZ and the Bible told me to be fruitful and multiply. The Lord will provide." Yes, I've actually been told those words and people quite literally believe them. Religion helps poor people cope with being poor because they are promised great rewards when they die.

"My life already stinks and I can't get any worse off so why not have kids?" Right or wrong can be debated but it's probably true. People like this aren't usually any WORSE off after they have children. You hear different flavors of this story over and over.

"I can't afford college/jewelry/nice clothes/dental work/to buy a house/to go to beauty school/to buy a new car so I might as well have kids. My life is shot but my kids might have a chance at it."

People want to have children because we are biologically programmed to reproduce. Too many feel like they are trapped by economic circumstances they can't control. They are victims of the system and one of the few of life's pleasures not denied them IS children. They feel a need to HAVE something. So they have children. They do the best they can.

Why do wealthy people, of all backgrounds and religions, have fewer children? Could it be because they HAVE other things in their lives that give them satisfaction? Could it be because they feel at least moderately successful and in control of their lives?

People usually do what they are expected to do. If your peers all get advanced degrees from Harvard, you will too. If your peers all have 4 children by different fathers by the time they are 21, chances are you will travel down that road too. It takes a rare individual to break the cycle.

This is just the way it's always been. Look at the pocketbook, not the color of the skin. A few HAVES produce a few HAVES The many HAVE NOTS produce many HAVE NOTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting