Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times

Advertisements

Setting the parents on welfare issue aside, "can't afford it" is all relative. What do you have to have to "afford" a given number of kids? It varies with each person or culture's priorities and values. There is a difference between cnnot keep them alive and cannot afford to dress them in Prada or buy them braces and an Iphone.

Nearing the completion of raising 5 children I can say that virtually all of the published costs of raising a child are grossly exaggerated. They assume you buy everything new and brand name. Your kids will, go to expensive colleges with no scholarhips and do not work. Most of our kids cost very little until about jr. high school age.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM

21 posts, read 23,271 times
I have also been perplexed by this issue lately. I have encountered several people who have three children or more and they can barely care for them (These people were not affected by the recession. This was their lifestyle before and after the recession happened.). Some of the parents are married, but the majority of them are single. Most of them receive some type of government assistance. None of them have higher education so most of them work low-wage jobs.

I believe there is a correlation between lack of higher education/professional training and having many children you can't afford. When you are studying for years to better yourself, you are more than likely to use contraception. I also think the government promotes people to be irresponsible and have children they can’t afford. There are plenty of social programs. And tax credits encourage more dependents. I have personally seen people get up to $10,000.00 or more back in their income tax due to having so many dependents and a low income. The entire situation is very sad.

Last edited by saffirejuiliet; 08-15-2012 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: spacing
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting