Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Disciplining young children is one of the key jobs of any parent - most people would have no trouble agreeing with that. But whether or not that discipline should include spanking or other forms of corporal punishment is a far trickier issue.

Study: Spanking Kids Leads to More Aggressive Behavior - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100412/hl_time/08599198101900 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Increased aggression is not always a bad thing. Just because you spank does not mean your kids will grow up to murderers, molesters, etc..... I believe in spanking no matter what study they do.

I am sure I could come up with negative things about kids that don't get spanked if I did a study.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Increased aggression is not always a bad thing. Just because you spank does not mean your kids will grow up to murderers, molesters, etc..... I believe in spanking no matter what study they do.

I am sure I could come up with negative things about kids that don't get spanked if I did a study.
Well put, Littleelvis. I don't know about these kinds of studies...it seems the people who do them are already against spanking anyway so what's the point?

I know my siblings and I were given spankings when we needed it (and I probably should have gotten more than I did). I am certainly not the worse for it. I even got a few in school. Once I backtalked my teacher in first grade and got spanked for it. Guess what? I learned immediately while taking my three or four whacks across my bottom that what I did was wrong. And I thought about it for the next day or so when I sat down to a sore butt. I never did it again. When my brother threw a fit in a restaurant, my dad took him outside and spanked his rear end. Did he act that way in public again? No.

Most of the kids I know today DON'T get spankings and they are walking video-game addicted zombies who know little about right and wrong, much less basic respect and how to treat others.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
Well put, Littleelvis. I don't know about these kinds of studies...it seems the people who do them are already against spanking anyway so what's the point?

I know my siblings and I were given spankings when we needed it (and I probably should have gotten more than I did). I am certainly not the worse for it. I even got a few in school. Once I backtalked my teacher in first grade and got spanked for it. Guess what? I learned immediately while taking my three or four whacks across my bottom that what I did was wrong. And I thought about it for the next day or so when I sat down to a sore butt. I never did it again. When my brother threw a fit in a restaurant, my dad took him outside and spanked his rear end. Did he act that way in public again? No.

Most of the kids I know today DON'T get spankings and they are walking video-game addicted zombies who know little about right and wrong, much less basic respect and how to treat others.
And people wonder why the current generation has problems! When I was in school, I can't really remember "bad stuff" (kids consistently failing tests, school fights, cliques of spoiled princesses, etc.) happening. IMO, since corporal punishment has been banned in so many schools, I've seen a rise in that stuff.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Any study can be twisted to produce the desired results.

There's nothing wrong with spanking. Almost everybody was spanked at one time or another and most of us aren't violent people as a result. It isn't the spanking that makes people violent.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
Spanking does increase violent behavior. The AAP is extremely reputable with their recommendations and set standards of care that many pediatricians follow. Tulane and Duke are not the only ones that have conducted extensive studies in this area

It's true you can find any stats for anything that you want to prove but in this case it is based on years of juried studies.

It also is found in studies I've read that kids who had been spanked as kids had IQs less then their fortunate counterparts. This concept is also addressed to a lesser degree in the link John1960 provided (well written article).

I know all of you who hit your kids for punishment don't understand that kids needs discipline not punishment. Hmmmm.........

No more to say as I know how people's blood boils when they need to justify hitting/spanking/striking the toddlers and kids.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Spanking does increase violent behavior. The AAP is extremely reputable with their recommendations and set standards of care that many pediatricians follow. Tulane and Duke are not the only ones that have conducted extensive studies in this area

It's true you can find any stats for anything that you want to prove but in this case it is based on years of juried studies.

It also is found in studies I've read that kids who had been spanked as kids had IQs less then their fortunate counterparts. This concept is also addressed to a lesser degree in the link John1960 provided (well written article).

I know all of you who hit your kids for punishment don't understand that kids needs discipline not punishment. Hmmmm.........

No spanking/striking the toddlers and kidsmore to say as I know how people's blood boils when they need to justify hitting/.
Typical response from a "time out parent".

First of all I don't "hit" my kids. There is big difference between spanking and hitting. Spanking is done out of love and hitting is abuse

Second: I don't care about studies. If I do a study on 100 people about the effects of eating apples and 20% of those people commit a violent act. Then I could reasonably say apples make you violent.

Third: I know plenty of kids who are not the brightest that were spanked or not spanked. There was probably a 3 percent higher IQ in kids who were not spanked so "it must be the spanking" that made them dumber.

Fourth: Kids don't respect time outs. If I would have gotten time outs I would have been a holy terror

Fifth: I'm sick and tired of seeing parents like this poster "now billy please stop running around and bothering everyone else or i'm gonna give you a time out." "Billy, I said stop" "Billy, I said stop" "Billy, I said stop" "Billy, I said stop" "Billy, I said stop" "Billy, I said stop" "Billy, I said stop" Kids

No more to say as I know parents who dont spank their children probably have to get back to WE tv or Lifetime.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
well let me put it this way not one of my kids was ever brought home by the police , involved in any legal incident , never acted out in school etc ... why ? because they were spanked and believe me when I say kids remember the hurt and what they did to get the hurt . I believe in spanking as a deterant to bad behavior no matter what the so called experts say .

Old 04-15-2010, 07:09 AM

516 posts, read 1,375,869 times
I spank and use time out. Depending on the situation. I'm the type of parent that doesn't want to rule out a punishment because I want to have as many 'tools' as I can to deal with whatever happens.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post

No more to say as I know how people's blood boils when they need to justify hitting/spanking/striking the toddlers and kids.
Blah, blah, blah.

I always thought an IQ of 140 was higher than normal. Hmmmm. That's what my youngest daughter has and she was spanked when necessary. My older daughter is 132 and she was spanked as well. Hmmmm. I'm wondering what moron made up that it lowers IQ. Maybe if they hadn't been spanked, their IQ's would be 200

I know that non-spankers have a difficult time understanding that when you put kids in time out they laugh at you. When you talk and talk and talk about how they should feel and how they should play and how they should think, it confuses them with so much input that they don't hear a word you're saying.

I know that non-spankers have a difficult time understanding that when a child runs out into the street and you retrieve that child with a quick swat on the behind, you impress upon him/her that running out into the street is wrong, but if you retrieve that same child and talk all the way back off the street, chances are all they're thinking is "Jeepers, she's yammering again.'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting