U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your view on underage drinking?
It's just a normal teenage experience, nothing wrong with it. 29 34.52%
It's wrong and needs to be stopped. 16 19.05%
I did it as a teenager but I don't want MY kids to drink. 39 46.43%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 AM

3,872 posts, read 7,602,480 times

Advertisements

I haven't read all the posts, so pardon if I repeat what's been said. However, I grew up in Germany from age 6 - 25. The drinking age over there is 16. I was allowed ONE bottle of Boone's Farm every 2 weeks - it had to last that long too. So I learned that it wasn't a big deal. The German kids would sometimes get drunk, but nothing like you see 21 year olds over here doing. It just isn't a big deal over there. Heck, even McDonald's sells beer.
So I try not to make it a big deal in my home. If I'm drinking a glass of wine and the oldest wants to taste (he's 13), then I let him have a sip. 99% of the time, he thinks its gross and doesn't want more. He's allowed a half glass on xmas, new years. He usually takes 2 sips and pours it out. Same w/ dh's beer. His friends think it's a big deal, but he's not very impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 AM

3,855 posts, read 11,465,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly View Post
...Heck, even McDonald's sells beer...
Wow....I learned something new today.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Wow....I learned something new today.

Reminds me of some quotes from the movie Pulp Fiction:

Vincent Vega(John Travolta): You know what the funniest thing about Europe is?
Jules Winnfield(Samuel L. Jackson): What?
Vincent Vega: It's the little differences. I mean they got the same sh** over there that they got here, but it's just, just there it's a little different.
Jules Winnfield: Example.
Vincent Vega: Alright, well you can walk into a movie theater and buy a beer. And, I don't mean just like a paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer. And, in Paris, you can buy a beer in McDonald's. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules Winnfield: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?
Vincent Vega: No, man, they got the metric system, they don't know what the fu** a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules Winnfield: What do they call it?
Vincent Vega: They call it a Royale with Cheese.
Jules Winnfield: Royale with Cheese.
Vincent Vega: That's right.
Jules Winnfield: What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent Vega: Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
Jules Winnfield: Le Big Mac. What do they call a Whopper?
Vincent Vega: I don't know. I didn't go into Burger King.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 AM

3,855 posts, read 11,465,462 times
That dialog is classic! LOL

Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 PM

6,203 posts, read 15,018,489 times
I couldn't vote, because none of the choices fit.

I know that my 19-year-old son drinks with his friends sometimes. However, he has never come home drunk; he knows that my reaction wouldn't be pretty if he did! He knows his limits. I don't let him drink at home, and we've had many discussions about responsible drinking. I've also told him that if he's somewhere else, and he or his friends are too drunk to drive, all he has to do is call me, and I'll go pick him up. No questions asked.

He has told me about going to parties. There are times when he doesn't drink much at all, because he knows it's better for him to be in control and alert to what's going on around him.

He's still living at home and holding down a full time job, so I know he's not into anything awful. He's actually home five or six nights a week.

I'd certainly prefer if he didn't drink at all until he's 21, but such an expectation is unrealistic. I have to pick my battles carefully, after all.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM

335 posts, read 931,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
What do you do when an adult offers your child beer? My son has been asked if he wants a beer 3 times by adults. One time I was with him. We were at a small get together and the host asked him right in front of me if he would like a beer! Just because he is 6 feet doesn't mean he isn't 14 years old! (at the time). I was so proud of him, he said "no thanks, I am not old enough yet". What a kid!
Ugg that person would have been 6 ft deep! @ 14? please! And good for your boy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly View Post
I haven't read all the posts, so pardon if I repeat what's been said. However, I grew up in Germany from age 6 - 25. The drinking age over there is 16. I was allowed ONE bottle of Boone's Farm every 2 weeks - it had to last that long too. So I learned that it wasn't a big deal. The German kids would sometimes get drunk, but nothing like you see 21 year olds over here doing. It just isn't a big deal over there. Heck, even McDonald's sells beer.
So I try not to make it a big deal in my home. If I'm drinking a glass of wine and the oldest wants to taste (he's 13), then I let him have a sip. 99% of the time, he thinks its gross and doesn't want more. He's allowed a half glass on xmas, new years. He usually takes 2 sips and pours it out. Same w/ dh's beer. His friends think it's a big deal, but he's not very impressed.
True if alcohol is not a big taboo then children do not wonder about it untill later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I couldn't vote, because none of the choices fit.

I know that my 19-year-old son drinks with his friends sometimes. However, he has never come home drunk; he knows that my reaction wouldn't be pretty if he did! He knows his limits. I don't let him drink at home, and we've had many discussions about responsible drinking. I've also told him that if he's somewhere else, and he or his friends are too drunk to drive, all he has to do is call me, and I'll go pick him up. No questions asked.

He has told me about going to parties. There are times when he doesn't drink much at all, because he knows it's better for him to be in control and alert to what's going on around him.

He's still living at home and holding down a full time job, so I know he's not into anything awful. He's actually home five or six nights a week.

I'd certainly prefer if he didn't drink at all until he's 21, but such an expectation is unrealistic. I have to pick my battles carefully, after all.
Sandy I commend you for being a parent of a 19 yr old! And able to have these conversations with your son.
My son is 11 and not interested in booze whatsoever so I guess I am lucky in this respect, he happens to think drunks are gross, (he has seen his uncles in the worst way) but I agree with you in that I cannot be naive and think that at 19 he will not have a sip.
I myself began drinking at 18 but my father was always open with me just as you have been and I felt comforted that I could rely on my father and take him up on his offer instead of the latter, getting in the car with a drunk driver.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 AM

2,344 posts, read 3,800,501 times
I know a guy that is in his late 20's and his wife is 19, what about that situation? Imagine getting in trouble because he gave someone underage a drink?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,687,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Most of us have done it when we were younger but as an adult looking back, what is your view on the subject of underage drinking?
My husband and I come from a long line of accomplished alcoholics. For my kids, it's best that they don't even try to go down that path... I don't care what they do in Europe.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,035 times
What are the main impact alcohol could bring to our youth?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,605,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Yes! My grandmother did the same thing with me when I was a child. I'd get 1 glass of wine for New Years. Growing up like that, I never saw the big deal with alcohol, and really only drink a handful of times a year, if even.

I would rather my child not be an underage drinker. But if he's going to, I plan to teach him to be a responsible drinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or