U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TV vs. No TV
I was raised with TV. 59 89.39%
I was raised without TV. 7 10.61%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 550,227 times

Advertisements

Agreed on that one! Did you know that (at least in Phx) at about 5 am there is like an hour long infomercial for Girls Gone Wild on comedy central?? I accidentally fell asleep to Larry the Cable Guy & woke up to Crazy 1st Time Coeds... No thanks...I'm sure their parents are proud!

I don't think a computer in the bedroom is in my son's future, either...it's bad enough that his daddy has a computer in another room... *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 PM

743 posts, read 2,038,280 times
Personally, I could live w/o tv. We have never had cable (we get the 4-5 channels w/ the "rabbit ears"...lol)

I have restricted both frequency and content of tv viewing for my kids. My 11 yo son could go into a "tv coma" and is completely abosorbed by all electronic devices, including computer....he's adhd, so that may be it. But, I really think there is an epidemic problem w/ boys, especially, in our society who use compters/tv/xbox, etc, etc in over-indulgent, non-limiting ways....whatever happened to collecting baseball cards as a hobby?

My daughters can take tv or leave it......not that much interst. More intersted in reading and/or playing.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 PM

550 posts, read 2,541,006 times
That is actually why my parents got rid of their TV. They were in graduate school and spent their time watching TV, not studying. They got rid of it and never bought another one.

My son is ADHD too!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:02 AM

311 posts, read 1,260,963 times
I would not be completely without a TV (couldn't watch the football game). However I am not a big fan of TV either and restrict what my 3 year old daughter can watch.

I do not have any TV's in the bedroom; only an 11 inch set in the family room which is sufficient for me. There are too many other things to do than spend hours in front of one.

It is interesting that I know people who will not own a television because of the violence, yet they have the internet.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:58 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,023,204 times
Personally I could survive without a television. I don't watch that much stuff. I'm much more into reading and listening to music and talk radio. We do have a television and I watch news and a couple of other shows. But nothing I couldn't live without.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Growing up we watched a LOT of TV but mostly in the winter. We also spent a lot of time outside running around, summer we rode bikes, played games, walked all over town, etc. In the winter we went sledding a lot. I LOVED watching tv growing up but now as an adult, I could live without a TV. I hardly ever watch it.

We have never really controlled how much time our kids watch tv. I didn't want to make it at 'issue'. Our DD12 rarely watches it, DS12 has a couple programs he likes but he could take it or leave it. DS14 probably watches the most TV but that is usually right before bed (in the tv room-no tv's in bedrooms here either). I think the kids could live without a tv--the computer, that is a different story though.

I don't think that tv made me more or less creative--I am just not creative. It is something that never interested me. I am rarely bored though. I can always find something to do. My kids rarely say "I'm bored" either. They are pretty good at finding things to do, other kids to play with, etc.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM

468 posts, read 1,491,613 times
I love watching specific things on TV like soccer, but if/when I raise my kid, I'll have them play piano in their freetime or something else, to get them away from the TV.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,994,411 times
I was raised w/ television. Back in those days there wasn't much on though. Now there is a plethora of mind-rotting violence to choose from. Recently, I did this little no-tv experiment, for three month's. I suspended my satellite and gave the money I saved to my church for the summer program they put on every yr. It was great for my son and myself, almost wish I had kept it that way.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:09 PM
jco

2,120 posts, read 5,861,655 times
I said without, although I did watch TV as a child sometimes. I wasn't allowed to watch TV at home during my teen years, and only had cable maybe 1/5 of my childhood. We went to the movies as a family a lot.

My husband and I are cutting the cable now. Too many shows to watch, and so many more productive things to do! The shows we really watch are 24, Top Design (okay, that's me only), and The Office. Both Bravo and Fox let you watch the full show online and we can download The Office from itunes for 99 cents each episode. We're actually saving time and money!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,310,880 times
I wasnt raised on TV(had one tv in the family room)and the biggest thing was when we got more than basic cable and got MTV ( I want my MTV!).

My dh was raised on tv and his folks used it as a babysitter..each of them had their own..and I swear to this day...when we visit(they are seperated)-they zone out and openly say TV is their friend. Its kind of sad actually.

As far as it being on for background..ummm sort of..mostly I have cnn or cnbc on during the weekdays..and me and dh wake up to the "Today" show. Most of our viewing is ironically the NON major stations! HBO has some fabulous programing, Food Network, My kids love animal planet.

There will be NO tv in the bedroom for the kids..I have seen first hand what it did to my dh..and how he can "zone" out. I think our household is more tech saavy as we are into the internet..which is I guess a modern form of TV addiction.

I am happy that my kids get "bored" of watching more than 1 hour in increments of tv at a time...I would much rather cart them around town and keep them OUT..

I would love to do the whole "no tv" for a month or NO more than 1 hour of TV a day and become "unplugged"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or