U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TV vs. No TV
I was raised with TV. 59 89.39%
I was raised without TV. 7 10.61%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2007, 06:16 PM

14 posts, read 43,926 times

Advertisements

I was raised with TV in the 80s & when I began supporting myself as a teenager, I decided against TV -- we were TVless for about a decade ... until I moved back in with my parents while my daughter's stepfather finishes a position through Indian Health Services in another state.

The difference in my 5 year old's behavior was obvious & astounding I much prefer not have TV: the raw imagination is just so much more interesting, cooperative, nice & fun
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,608,096 times
It's all about discipline. What you let your kids watch and when they watch. There are actually a lot of good things on television. There are kids in this country that are practically raised by the television.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 AM

550 posts, read 2,541,006 times
Wow, I have been on holidays for a while and am surprised at how many people were raised with TV! Us non-TVers sure are a minority! I still wish I had the....guts?......patience?......ability? to raise my kids without one. How many times do I laugh at something my kid says just to find out it was from some stupid cartoon? Where is the originality?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 AM

548 posts, read 2,392,905 times
We have one tv ( for 3 kids+2 parents). That's all there will ever be. They may not watch any tv on schooldays, and may watch PBS, Animal Planet, Discovery, or sometimes Disney Channel on Sat. and Sun. morning. Occasionally I'll turn it on in the afternoon for them (weekends only).

Whatever they are used to, they will be fine with. Our tv broke a while back and we didn't bother to fix it for 3 months. No one cared.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:51 AM

548 posts, read 2,392,905 times
Oh, one exception: once a year when the Tour de France is going, it's on whenever the Tour is on

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
Wisteria: I was also TV less because of environment.
I moved to a college town for 4 years. And there was only one channel that you could get (sporadically and staticky) unless you subscribed to cable. So I was TV-less for about 4 years (1981 til 1986) because I could not afford cable. So I personally have been TV-less (as a result I am a big music fan). And could do it again - I don't care.
DH on the other hand... was a TV-raised baby and he is a TV addict but at least he watches documentaries now since discovery and history channel...
His parents are the type who have the TV on morning til night, even if they aren't watching it - it bugs me to visit them.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 PM

573 posts, read 2,174,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsB23 View Post
Agreed on that one! Did you know that (at least in Phx) at about 5 am there is like an hour long infomercial for Girls Gone Wild on comedy central?? I accidentally fell asleep to Larry the Cable Guy & woke up to Crazy 1st Time Coeds... No thanks...I'm sure their parents are proud!
It's here in FL too. Ronchy as can be. You know some high school kids get up at that hour, do you think they could be watching this? I'm sure they are if they happen to have a TV in their room.

Just so you know, the same program is on every day...I only know this because when my daughter was first born, she woke up at 5am for one of her feedings and we always have comedy central on before bed. Turn on the TV, sure enough...there they are, every weekday, half naked girls doing things to other half naked girls...It disgusts me.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 PM

1,911 posts, read 8,099,896 times
I voted 'raised w/o TV'.

When my brothers and I were kids we were always outside playing or participating in sports, swimming, volleyball, softball...you name it.
My dad always took us on hiking trips as well as camping trips.
We vacationed in Maine every summer for 3 months and we were never inside watching TV.
My dad wouldn't allow it. And 40 some years later, I thank him for that.

I have a friend who's kids (12, 13 & 14 yrs old) are all glued to the TV, video games and the computer.
The other sad thing is they're all at least 50 to 100 lbs overweight.
One was recently diagnosed with diabetes.

It's just sad the way some kids are raised today.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:32 PM

14 posts, read 43,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
It's all about discipline. What you let your kids watch and when they watch. There are actually a lot of good things on television. There are kids in this country that are practically raised by the television.
Sure ... but the best discipline is when the temptation doesn't even exist This goes for any habit, not just TV

Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 PM

483 posts, read 1,875,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Television is part of our evolution.
We're evolving into fat little blobs of grease. I doubt that has much survival value. The Romans had bread and circuses. We've got Cheetos and American Idol. The Roman Empire died. So shall we. A lot quicker than they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or