U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,623,059 times

Advertisements

Hi...Boy I love the potty threads! Many good ideas. I have a question.....sorry to hijack the thread but it does have to do with potty training. I'm feeblly trying to train my son. He's 3 and a few months. I just put him in underwear and see what happens. Sometimes he wants to go potty when I ask sometimes he says no potty. He's a stubborn little man so if he says no there's no taking him! I made a little chart for him and he gets a star and 3 m&m's every time he goes. I think though sometimes he's making himself go pee just so he can get his sticker and m&m's. Is that ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Hi...Boy I love the potty threads! Many good ideas. I have a question.....sorry to hijack the thread but it does have to do with potty training. I'm feeblly trying to train my son. He's 3 and a few months. I just put him in underwear and see what happens. Sometimes he wants to go potty when I ask sometimes he says no potty. He's a stubborn little man so if he says no there's no taking him! I made a little chart for him and he gets a star and 3 m&m's every time he goes. I think though sometimes he's making himself go pee just so he can get his sticker and m&m's. Is that ok?
Heck, yeah! Even if he is "making himself go", he is getting used to using the neccesary muscles, and that's a good thing, if you ask me. I would rather have one that tried to go too often than one who doesn't try often enough!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,839,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Is what ok? The bribery? Heck yeah! Bribery is a mom's best friend! I also happen to believe that it's equivalent to positive reinforcement...a reward for doing what's expected. So it's definitely ok.

If you are wondering if "making himself go" is ok...yup that's fine too...less accidents that way and more m&m's a win, win for him and you!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,839,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Perhaps it's time to start talking about the Diaper Fairy.

The Diaper Fairy is a very important creature to those children who want to be Big Kids. She KNOWS everything that happens with the potty, and sometimes she leaves the children notes and small gifts when she has seen them using the potty. She also tells them that when they are ready to give all of their diapers to the needy babies of the world, they should leave them outside the front door and she will take them to said babies, and in thier place, she will leave multiple packages of Big Kid Undies. In my house, she even left a few pair of Super Cool big boy undies before my son was ready to give the diapers to the babies.

Yes, my imagine can run wild, but I was desperate to get my kid out of the diapers, so created the Diaper Fairy! And it worked so well for us, I thought it was worth sharing.
Ok where were you and the "diaper fairy" when I needed it! This is a fantastic idea! I almost (stressing the word almost here) wish I had another one to potty train just to try this out.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,623,059 times
Thanks deerislesmile and irishmom! I appreciate your comments and your sense of humor!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 45,165 times
These are all very good points. I have already tried rewarding him, but it doesn't help. He has a sticker board and gets some other reward as well if he uses the toilet. He liked using it about 6 months ago, only a few times though. Then he went into this stage. One thing I'm worried about is that he is big for his age, not fat but tall. He is in the biggest size diapers they make other than pull-ups. But, I don't have the money to buy pull-ups for him. So if he doesn't get potty-trained before he gets much bigger I'm not sure what to do. He is starting pre-school this year, but I don't think they have a problem with him being in diapers. The main thing I was worried about is his size.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM

304 posts, read 1,279,705 times
When we were trying to toilet train our twin sons around the age of 3, it seemed the more we pushed them, the more resistant they were about using the toilet. We tried everything...having them aim at Cheerios in the toilet, special seats, reward systems, etc. We finally backed off and let them go at it at their own pace. I had many friends tell me that they would be trained eventually, but I have to admit I had worries that they would be in grade school still wearing diapers or pull ups! Anyway, they eventually became trained and my fears were unwarranted. It was so strange, just one day they decided to use the toilet and never looked back (though they didn't decide this on the same day!).

Now here we are, exactly 2 years later, trying to be patient with our other son who is stubborn as a mule. We have one other problem thrown in the mix this time though...he wants to remain the "baby" of the family, and we are pretty sure this is what is keeping him from being trained. Anyone have success in dealing with this?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM

199 posts, read 1,009,655 times
Here's some encouragement.
I have always used the child-led method of potty training. Its not a power struggle or battle I want to engage in, even though toddler/pre-school poos are yucky. Not one of my kids has reached kindergarten age (5) wearing a diaper. My 2 oldest got their drivers' licenses and are attending college sans diapers.

Kids respond badly to stress and pressure. If your son is feeling pressured too much, it may delay his using the potty. Try not to make a big deal to your son about how you don't want to use Pull-ups. My latest trainer was the one I was most frustrated with; I was pregnant with twins and so didn't want to have to deal with changing stinky diapers. They made me gag really bad. So I talked about his not using the potty in a frustrated and exasperated tone. I tried not to, but it was hard! But I learned my lesson. The boy started using the potty while I was in the hospital haivng the twins, just after his 4th birthday.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 15,479,588 times
Boys take longer than girls...my son was 3 and I was thinking he would ALWAYS wear diapers...my mom laughed and said that was OK, we would just pack diapers for his honeymoon!!! A friend's mother kept her kids while she worked. Grandma forcibly trained those kids...lots of struggle and drama. Awful! I think it's better to give them the opportunity to choose which underwear they want to wear each day, and encourage them, but don't make it such a big deal. If they stay with diapers, that's OK. We had some switching back and forth. Then one day son says - "big boy underwear now" - and that was it! He was just short of the 3 1/2 year mark. Patience.....

Old 06-12-2007, 05:10 PM

232 posts, read 745,416 times
lol, these threads are fantastic. Where was the internet when I was a noob

As for my two, my girl (20) was not potty trained until about 3 1/2 and she wanted to go in the potty but had a lot of accidents. It took about 6 months before she was ok on her own to go potty.

My son (6) was another story. I had gone back to work full time when he was an infant and daddy was taking care of the kids. My husband did not want his only son to have to grow up too fast or feel pressured so he never even attempted potty training.
As my boy approached his 4th birthday I thought, enough! Talk about wanting to battle...... I let this go on for a month, did the toss stuff in the toliet routine, tried bribes, nothing worked. He kept telling me he was the baby. So one day I sat him down and said " Honey I have to tell you, the stores stopped making diapers and all we have now are big boy pants." He went in his pants a few times to check it out (my opinion), but I made him clean himself ( a shower for every mess, I didn't want him sick...) and then he had to put his own things in the washer (he just put them there, he did not have to wash them ) and within 3 day, viola, potty trained

I don't think hubby has forgiven me yet for making his baby grow up .... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or