U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 45,168 times

Advertisements

My son, who will be 3 in September, refuses to use the toilet. I have a toddler seat for him but he won't use it either. He cries, (a fake cry) whenever we tell him to go use it. He says he wants a diaper. I have the underwear that is cloth with another piece that is plastic, but I haven't used them yet. I will start that today. But, I was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion for this dilemma. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,167,269 times
How long have you been pushing him?

I never even tried or said anything to my son til he was 3 and a half, then he picked out big kid underwear one day and was potty trained in 4 days

looks like you are in a head to head struggle

pick your battles - is there an issue to where he needs to be potty trained now?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:59 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,993,535 times
My daughter at 3 was slow to actually use the toilet...she had no problems sitting on her training potty (from age 2) and trying to mimic Mama, but would quickly become frustrated and want to give up. Stage fright.
Since she came home she has accompanied me every time I had to use the bathroom (separation anxiety) so she knew already how everything worked...

I bought her some 'big girl' underwear and had her wear those instead of a diaper. Yes, we had a few leaks, but she also had an initiative to use the toilet on her squishy seat (forget the potty). After that I couldn't get her OFF the toilet - this was BIG!
Her next hurdle was ,er, solid deposits. She was scared. Didn't help that her first go at it was a constipated, adult sized...yikes. I assured her (in the following kid-friendly terms) that pooping in the toilet was soooo much better (and easier) than messing inside a diaper and then having a dirty bottom...
The first time was rough, but after she was done, boy howdy, she thought that was cool.
Now all **** goes in the toilet, but if I have her in a pull-up she gets lazy about the liquids. Slight regression.
It is time to use underwear alone unless we're traveling.

What I'm wondering, since she's so petite, is how to prepare her for public or guest toilets that won't have a toddler sized seat...do I have her stand on the rim (leaning on me) and squat or cover an area with TP and hold her sitting at the edge? No matter what disease is or not transmittable, most toilets are so nasty, I don't want her sitting on one. Blah.

I think with boys it might be more fun to use the training potty and get some TARGETS to aim for...hey, if I was a guy...make a game of it.

My mother tells me I was potty-trained at 12 months. I'm still not sure about that!?

Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM

We can't type P**P here. :P

Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,795,244 times
okay, the redneck solution...let the boy pee in the leaves outside a few time and he will get used to NOT peeing in his britches..its the way my grandparents did on all their kids. just a thought

Old 06-11-2007, 11:13 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,840,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
okay, the redneck solution...let the boy pee in the leaves outside a few time and he will get used to NOT peeing in his britches..its the way my grandparents did on all their kids. just a thought
Ha Ha! This reminds me of my oldest who kept going outside to pee in the yard! He kept saying if the dogs could go there why couldn't he...LOL

Old 06-11-2007, 11:15 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,840,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_mom_4 View Post
My son, who will be 3 in September, refuses to use the toilet. I have a toddler seat for him but he won't use it either. He cries, (a fake cry) whenever we tell him to go use it. He says he wants a diaper. I have the underwear that is cloth with another piece that is plastic, but I haven't used them yet. I will start that today. But, I was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion for this dilemma. Thanks!
He's not ready yet. Just go back to diapers for a month or so then try again. I know some people will tell you to keep up the good fight, but I have never found it to be worth it. Pick your battles and just let him be. He will come around sooner than later. I have yet to see a kid go off to college in pull ups.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 AM

I have seen LOTS of 4 year olds at the park with pull-ups on.

I think it's only an issue for entering Pre-school - many won't accept kids if they aren't already potty trained.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 PM

550 posts, read 2,541,006 times
I agree with him not being ready yet. My son was also a 'want to pee outside' kid when he was 3. Funny how boys think that is okay! When he was younger we had to tape his diaper on because he hated wearing them so much! My last son potty trained himself. Very easy! To each his own with little kids.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:18 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
Perhaps it's time to start talking about the Diaper Fairy.

The Diaper Fairy is a very important creature to those children who want to be Big Kids. She KNOWS everything that happens with the potty, and sometimes she leaves the children notes and small gifts when she has seen them using the potty. She also tells them that when they are ready to give all of their diapers to the needy babies of the world, they should leave them outside the front door and she will take them to said babies, and in thier place, she will leave multiple packages of Big Kid Undies. In my house, she even left a few pair of Super Cool big boy undies before my son was ready to give the diapers to the babies.

Yes, my imagine can run wild, but I was desperate to get my kid out of the diapers, so created the Diaper Fairy! And it worked so well for us, I thought it was worth sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or