Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are they born that way?
Yes 26 42.62%
No, they're all the same, and how they turn out is environmental. 22 36.07%
Put me down for whichever answer is politically correct. 3 4.92%
I don't know. 10 16.39%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that some kids are born with a natural sense of fairness and kindness wired into them, which only needs to be positively reinforced, and others lack this and can only become "good" by imposing discipline and punishment on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
You know this is a great question.

I honestly answered that I didn't know.

I've seen dramatic results from both directions.

A lawless family unit turning out a pillar of society and the Pillar's family turning out a lawless kid.

All raised the same way but different results.

Something to make you go...hmmmmm

Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 14,366 times
NO I do not believe that the child is not born with good or baddness it's how the parent raises it in the process. That's what makes the hole difference.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,641 times
I do think we are born with our personalities and those personalities tend to shape how we are in life, whether we are fair, honest, wild, agressive etc...That being said our enviroment tends to fine tune, if you will, these personalities. So if you have a baby and it's a very easy going non fussy baby I think it will turn out to have the same demeanor as an adult, unless its enviroment forces it to change.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post

A lawless family unit turning out a pillar of society and the Pillar's family turning out a lawless kid.

I have 3 brothers and 4 sisters, so I feel somewhat qualified to answer this. I think it has more to do with environment. Yes each person has their own personality and tendencies, but if all the children are treated equally, and this is very important, and all are taught values, consequences, and responsibility, they will all turn out to be 'good' people.

I have seen instances where more than one kid is raised by the same people, in the same house, but where older kids were treated one way and the babies of the family were never held accountable or where one kid is the favorite and can do no wrong and that's where you get different results.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,375 times
There is a difference between a high maintenance child and a "bad" child. I think all kids are born neutral. They have the ability to learn to be "good" and "bad". Since children are completely dependant upon us for their survival, the parents are who teach through reinforcement the behaviors that will be rewarded. Children use this information to get their needs met. So, I think it is the environment that produces "bad" children.

Just to be clear, just because a child has a different disposition, independant streak, willful, and has a mind of their own, this doesn't make them a "bad" child.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 AM

589 posts, read 1,559,770 times
I read about a research done many years ago on identical twins who were adopted by different families at birth. They were tracked through their adulthood and the findings are quite interesting. The separated twins were adopted by parents of different backgrounds, wealth status, educational attainment, etc; the twins however, more often than not, ended up in similar situation later in life. Many of the separated twins became respected members of society such as doctors, judges, teachers, etc. while some twins became criminals even though they were raised up by good families. In a nutshell, this research conclusively points to a person's genes, more than the environment, as the main determinant to one's life outcome.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post

I have seen this, too. I also agree with Skahar, in that we are born with certain personality tendencies, but life experiences may alter or exaggerate those personalities.

Using my 2 kids as an example, they are both raised in the same home, but put them in the same situation, and you will get two different outcomes. By the same token, they are not both disciplined the same at all times - it has to be tailored to what works for that kid.

It does make you go....hmmmmmm! You can only try your best to instill goodness in them and give them the ability to think for themselves - - - - - and hope for the best!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,089 times
Put me down for an "I don't know."

What I do know is my little angel WAS born perfect

Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,232 times
I believe there's a logical reasoning behind why kids behave a certain way. I don't think they are born either "good" or "bad". I believe that all humans are born "neutral". We learn from things that go on around us, which in-turn becomes the positives and negatives. I also believe that each individual person learns at a different rate, and in a different way.

I also believe a child could develop a mental illness at some point. I don't believe that makes the child "bad", just ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting