Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times

Advertisements

Carlita, do you live so far in the country that he can't get to friends homes on his own? You said you work in his school, so you surely must have some clue as to whether friends' homes are safe places for your child.

I'm not saying that it's a part of the problem - just it seems like he could possibly use some independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 PM

604 posts, read 750,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Yes, he has a sister and she is 6. I'm afraid to ask but how long has your brother been going through this?

I'd almost like to say since he was 8, and I caught a glimpse of a post while searching for your reply... something like "hes always around you, wont go without you"??

Well, my 12 (TWELVE) year old half brother (the one I Hate) called the police when my sister and I were on our back porch (no more than 5 feet from him, just outide) we get back in, and he was crying and hung up on the officer LOL

He has NO common sense, which I blame my parents for, somehow...

I don't know WHY me and my sister are so different, we have divorced parents, but no idea...?

He says he was left alone at our uncle's wedding and got lost, so he's afraid to be away from anyone... even if he KNOWs where we are, he still calls and attempts to keep us on our phones til we get back..

I don't mean to scare you, but he gets VERY emotional about what will happen if he misses an assignment...

I don't know why at all, and its intrigued me, maybe we'll learn together?

Also, my sister and I are very close, we always traveled back and forth between our dad/mom ever since we can remember... and we're the only biological sibligns.. but whats the relationship like there?

Does he plays sports? get into a lot of stuff? lighten his load, let him relax, I know it helps me... and if he does act up, do what you'd do if this wasn't a problem, punish him when things get out of hand, if he starts crying, what my step dad usually does, is calm him down and explain what the problem is...good grades in school I assume??

(Its so elusive its annoying, but man does that kid p*ss me off.... NO common sense whatsoever...)

Last edited by Kings Ranger; 05-06-2010 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
I'd almost like to say since he was 8, and I caught a glimpse of a post while searching for your reply... something like "hes always around you, wont go without you"??

Well, my 12 (TWELVE) year old half brother (the one I Hate) called the police when my sister and I were on our back porch (no more than 5 feet from him, just outide) we get back in, and he was crying and hung up on the officer LOL

He has NO common sense, which I blame my parents for, somehow...

I don't know WHY me and my sister are so different, we have divorced parents, but no idea...?

He says he was left alone at our uncle's wedding and got lost, so he's afraid to be away from anyone... even if he KNOWs where we are, he still calls and attempts to keep us on our phones til we get back..

I don't mean to scare you, but he gets VERY emotional about what will happen if he misses an assignment...

I don't know why at all, and its intrigued me, maybe we'll learn together?

(Its so elusive its annoying, but man does that kid p*ss me off.... NO common sense whatsoever...)
Your brother suffers from severe anxiety. It's so obvious.

He probably gets very emotional about what will happen when he misses an assignment because he felt humiliated in front of the class when he missed an assignment once.

And his anxiety of being left alone has a very straight forward cause.

There's nothing elusive about your brother's problems. He needs therapy. Without therapy, it's likely to get much worse as the years progress.

You don't even want to know just how bad it can get. He could become afraid of everything and NEVER leave the house eventually.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

He probably gets very emotional about what will happen when he misses an assignment because he felt humiliated in front of the class when he missed an assignment once.

There's nothing elusive about your brother's problems. He needs therapy. Without therapy, it's likely to get much worse as the years progress.

You don't even want to know just how bad it can get. He could become afraid of everything and NEVER leave the house eventually.

Its wierd, because he acts completely normal in some situations, but I honestly, in all seriousness, do doubt his mental stability at times... too bad the 'rents probably won't buy it...?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Or the parents need therapy, or the parents and that child need therapy. Often it has to do with some family dynamic.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Its wierd, because he acts completely normal in some situations, but I honestly, in all seriousness, do doubt his mental stability at times... too bad the 'rents probably won't buy it...?
You have to work on your parents to assess his mental health. Just mentioning this may send some people for a loop, as in - "There's nothing wrong with my child!" And it's too bad that generally people don't recognize a condition if it doesn't manifest itself physically, - no deformity, no abnormal blood tests, - a person looks just like the rest of the population.

Parents of kids with Aspergers (high functioning autism) experience the same attitude from strangers - the odd behavior of a child in public raises eyebrows as if indicating that the parents haven't done enough to discipline "that little brat". Yet the child can't help himself and needs help from mental health professionals, - behavioral therapy, psychotherapy, etc.

The anxiety that your half brother is experiencing, sounds like the same kind of a problem - people around him expect him to be normal, because there is no physical manifestation of a disease. If your parents balk at the idea of an assessment, they are setting up this boy to falling between the cracks and deepening his condition, like Hopes said, instead of identifying the problem and helping him to cope with it in the future.

I have to say it is very odd for me personally to believe that a mother who sees that her child is somewhat *off*, would bury her head in the sand, as much as she wants to believe that her son is normal. I can understand the desire to believe in having perfect children, but there should be a much deeper concern for this human being, her son, regardless of the desire to look perfect for the Joneses and the rest of the world. The concern for one's children should overcome the more shallow motives, no?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
You have to work on your parents to assess his mental health. Just mentioning this may send some people for a loop, as in - "There's nothing wrong with my child!" And it's too bad that generally people don't recognize a condition if it doesn't manifest itself physically, - no deformity, no abnormal blood tests, - a person looks just like the rest of the population.

Parents of kids with Aspergers (high functioning autism) experience the same attitude from strangers - the odd behavior of a child in public raises eyebrows as if indicating that the parents haven't done enough to discipline "that little brat". Yet the child can't help himself and needs help from mental health professionals, - behavioral therapy, psychotherapy, etc.

The anxiety that your half brother is experiencing, sounds like the same kind of a problem - people around him expect him to be normal, because there is no physical manifestation of a disease. If your parents balk at the idea of an assessment, they are setting up this boy to falling between the cracks and deepening his condition, like Hopes said, instead of identifying the problem and helping him to cope with it in the future.

I have to say it is very odd for me personally to believe that a mother who sees that her child is somewhat *off*, would bury her head in the sand, as much as she wants to believe that her son is normal. I can understand the desire to believe in having perfect children, but there should be a much deeper concern for this human being, her son, regardless of the desire to look perfect for the Joneses and the rest of the world. The concern for one's children should overcome the more shallow motives, no?

So you think he still needs therapy, if its only a couple situations that he acts... "insanely" or mentally unstable?

He's... what they say EXTREMELY competetive, as in he cries when he loses... and if he ever acts.. wierd, but not like mentally unstable wierd, just hyperactive wierd, they say its just because he wants to spend more time with my sister and I, and does it for attention...?

So the symptoms for anxiety are acting differently than most human beings in normal situations? My mom thinks its stress, although I haven't even suggested therapy yet...

Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
A person doesn't need to be mentally unstable to have mental health problems. Unfortunately we (or people unfamiliar with various mental conditions) expect to see some form of insanity, person clearly being on the edge, satanic eyes etc. No. All it takes just to feel that something is ""off"", sometimes in certain only situations, while for 80-90% of the time that person/child could be "normal" in the common sense.

I have felt something was off with my son, without being able to really put my finger on it. Just a bit odd tantrums when I expected it was time for him to move out of that stage. A bit more defiance than one would expect. A bit too much concentration on one topic, his preferred topic of conversation. He's 5.

Finally made an appointment with an autistic team at a good hospital and they confirmed that my son was partially borderline. See, it doesn't mean he is mentally unstable, whatever that mean conversationally.

One thing I knew - hyperactivity was not our problem, -- could be for your brother. Could be anxiety as well, we are not doctors here, just wanted to let you know there are various mental conditions, - not only those who are clearly going bonkers can and should get help.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
So the symptoms for anxiety are acting differently than most human beings in normal situations? My mom thinks its stress, although I haven't even suggested therapy yet...
You're mother isn't as clueless as you think. Stress and anxiety are similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting