U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:15 PM

15,203 posts, read 16,070,411 times

Advertisements

First, I'll be up front: I hate telelvision. To me it's a waste of valuable living time; it creates unrealistic desires and it's depressing.

Having said that, I don't want my daughter to be the only kid who's never seen Hannah Montana, so I try not to be too Draconian about it. During the school year, we have a "no TV and no videos Monday thru Thursday rule" because there's just no time between homework, activities, dinner, bath, etc. We don't have cable, but one of the networks (ABC?) airs the tween Disney shows on Saturday morning and my dd loves those. We rarely turn the television on any other time because my dh and I don't watch any shows and there's not much else that is kid appropriate on TV, but we do rent videos and watch those. We rent/own a lot of videos and I don't mind those so much because there aren't any commercials and there's less of a tendency to veg out when the show you were watching is over and something you don't even care about comes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:43 PM

244 posts, read 943,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincerely View Post
Why is watching the same episode a bad thing? I'm just curious. I know kids learn through repetition and reading the same book over and over to a toddler is encouraged, so is repeating a episode of a TV program different? My kids love Signing Time (2 year old twins) they watch it once a day and since there are only thirteen episodes, they watch a lot of the same ones more than once. They kind of have to in order to learn the signs. I'd really like to know if there's something negative about doing this.
There isn't. I don't get that either. Now I'm thinking that everyone is talking about different age groups here.

I know what you mean about the sign shows and some of the other educational ones. We have the identifying shapes and sizes, and my 2.5 year old has definitely watched it more than once. He loves to do the shapes and sizes with the Pooh gang.

This doesn't mean I haven't taught him shapes, or integrated it into everyday learning with him through music, art, or problem solving. It simply means he gets so much enjoyment from a little show. Little kids especially love familiar stories, books, and shows repeated. It lets them build upon what they have learned, reinforcing concepts, and allowing them to actively participate with their knowledge.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:22 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,846,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Ok I know a lot of people are agsinst tv and I know there is an awful lot of bad bad on there but I also think there is a lot of good. I love the disney channel. The shows are so cute and many of them have a good little message or something to learn. So for all you parents out there who have raised or are raising kids; How much tv do you think is ok?
Well first of all we include TV in what I refer to as "media time"....that includes video games, computer and television. Now during the school year it is 1 hour a day during the week and 2 hours on the weekend. Now school is out and those little kidlettes are home WAY more so I give them 3 hours, but the extra hour is really for me not them. The only exceptions to the rule are if we go to a movie (rarely) and if they are too sick to run around (because then for some reason mommy's bed with movies playing all day is all they want).

I do monitor and preapprove what they shows they watch, what video games they play and what they access on the internet (their computer games are all educational - Zoo Tycoon is a fav here). My 5 year old doesn't realize he's being policed because the stuff he's into (mostly super heroes) happen to be age appropriate anyway...but my 11 year old gets annoyed with me when I won't let him watch certain cartoons (because HAVE you seen some of them lately!) and buy video game titles that are rated above E (and I won't get some of those either!) - I've had other parents make fun of me for it also...but I don't care I know it will pay off eventually.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincerely View Post
Why is watching the same episode a bad thing? I'm just curious. I know kids learn through repetition and reading the same book over and over to a toddler is encouraged, so is repeating a episode of a TV program different?
Actually the whole premise of Blue's Clues, which was ground breaking when it first came out (I miss Steve ), was that by watching the same episode all week long it built skills and confidence in whatever lesson it was teaching by repetition. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, like you said it's like the favorite story book being read over and over.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:39 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,626,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well first of all we include TV in what I refer to as "media time"....that includes video games, computer and television. Now during the school year it is 1 hour a day during the week and 2 hours on the weekend. Now school is out and those little kidlettes are home WAY more so I give them 3 hours, but the extra hour is really for me not them. The only exceptions to the rule are if we go to a movie (rarely) and if they are too sick to run around (because then for some reason mommy's bed with movies playing all day is all they want).

I do monitor and preapprove what they shows they watch, what video games they play and what they access on the internet (their computer games are all educational - Zoo Tycoon is a fav here). My 5 year old doesn't realize he's being policed because the stuff he's into (mostly super heroes) happen to be age appropriate anyway...but my 11 year old gets annoyed with me when I won't let him watch certain cartoons (because HAVE you seen some of them lately!) and buy video game titles that are rated above E (and I won't get some of those either!) - I've had other parents make fun of me for it also...but I don't care I know it will pay off eventually.
Thanks irishmom! You've always given me such good advice. I bet you're a wonderful mom!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Thanks irishmom! You've always given me such good advice. I bet you're a wonderful mom!!!
Awww than you. I'm trying real hard to be...but that's all any of us can do.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:53 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,314,771 times
I think everything in moderation is fine. There are so many rules and regs out there on what is the best way to parent, how green and crunchy are you, how many activites are your kids in, how many playdates do you have.

Just thinking about that makes my head spin. So TV is yet another one to deal with. Basically, I let the kids watch tv while I a making dinner..serves two purposes, I can cook and I dont feel too bad being a drill sargent either.

My little one sings along to blues clues, and dora the explorer..again its from 9-10 when I am cleaning up the kitchen.

My kids are just more outdoorsy types anyway..so they would get bored of more than 2 hours of nonstop tv anyway..and I have guilt factor too! LOL.

But appropriate stations...animal planet, noggin, ya know, the usuals. Although my 7 year old does like "ARE you smarter than a 5th grader"..I tivo it for her to watch on the weekends, because that is kind of fun. Or she does like "deal or no deal"..but that is about it for her "sophistication" level.

Myself I dont do alot of tv either..even though I am a sahm..so maybe that is it as well. Dh likes to have th tv on in the background if he is working from home that day..and its usually msnbc or something that the kids wouldnt find interest in.

TV is okay to me in moderation, but not a plunk your kids there for 4 hours kind of thing.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:37 PM

12,128 posts, read 27,771,213 times
We are new to the kid thing (6 month old), but are plan is to try no live TV for at least two years. DVDs and other videos, we will see about, but what really worried us is the advertising. If we can get away with it, we will try to extend the two years. One of the reasons we have this (maybe unrealistic) plan is to prevent us from using the TV as a 'pacifier'... My sister has raised four wonderful kids on a limited TV schedule (just a few hours a week), and we are trying to follow her blueprint.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,468,872 times
Okay so we went in for my 15 month olds check up and thanks to reading this thread, I asked her opinion. She said until at least 3 no tv. Wow, I need to turn off Disney. I have made a tv magnet in the mornings.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,925,295 times
Several years ago, Ann Landers, the syndicated advice columnist in many newspapers, wrote "TV destroys more minds than all the drugs combined".
In 1961, the then FCC Chairman, Newton Minnow, labelled TV as "a vast wasteland".
Not much has changed since then, except, with cable, satellite and extended broadcasting hours, that the wasteland has become "vaster".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting