Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:46 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,825,509 times

Advertisements

Yeah, or nay? According to this article on CNN.com Bristol Palin is struggling to support herself and her son. Meanwhile, her mother is making millions. Full disclosure, I am NOT a Sarah Palin fan, however, her daughter was used during the campaign to promote her family values.

Bristol Palin: I'm on my own financially - CNN.com

Ideally, the father would be the missing link, but there was a visitation dispute that has impacted his support. If I had the means, I would see to it that my kids and grandchildren were well taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yeah, or nay? According to this article on CNN.com Bristol Palin is struggling to support herself and her son. Meanwhile, her mother is making millions. Full disclosure, I am NOT a Sarah Palin fan, however, her daughter was used during the campaign to promote her family values.

Bristol Palin: I'm on my own financially - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/05/06/bristol.palin.on.her.own.ppl/index.html?hpt=Sbin - broken link)

Ideally, the father would be the missing link, but there was a visitation dispute that has impacted his support. If I had the means, I would see to it that my kids and grandchildren were well taken care of.
She's trying to take personal responsiblity for her life and her child - good for her!

She says in the article mom and dad give plenty of "emotional support", which is just as important as financial report. In addition, the baby daddy has been ordered to pay child support. Levi's visitation "issues" do not negate his responsiblity to pay child support - that has to happen regardless.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/levi-jo...ory?id=9954918

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35902901...more_politics/

And I feel certain if the Palin's grandchild needed a kidney, or even just groceries, they'd step up.

Nobody "used" her during the campaign - she was just a visible member of her family

Old 05-06-2010, 04:28 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,825,509 times
Her condition was both publicized and politicized. I agree that she deserves credit for taking personal responsibility, and I also agree that the father should be supplying support. But, since her parents can afford it, why not allow her to finish her schooling , which would allow her to give her child a better future?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
Her condition was both publicized and politicized. I agree that she deserves credit for taking personal responsibility, and I also agree that the father should be supplying support. But, since her parents can afford it, why not allow her to finish her schooling , which would allow her to give her child a better future?
She is living an adult life now after making some adult decisions (to have sex and have a baby).

It's a little too late for mom and dad to be "allowing" her to do anything

She obviously has a plan of her own, good for her!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,556,398 times
Just teaching her kid how to be a responsible person. You make choices and live with the consequences. I have a feeling young Palin will be just fine in life.

I'm 30 years old, have a wife and a kid and am just starting school. Just because mom doesn't pay for school now doesn't mean she will never have the opportunity to go.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,027,765 times
I don't think Palin needs to financially support Bristol just because she has the means, but I do think that it would be in Trip's best interest to help her go to college. If she didn't have the baby, I'm sure her parents would be paying to send her to college. I don't see why they couldn't still do that. I wonder if moving out on her own was her idea. Maybe Sarah and Todd offered to let her live at home but she chose to move out.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,808,705 times
Quote:

Bristol Palin: I'm on my own financially - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/05/06/bristol.palin.on.her.own.ppl/index.html?hpt=Sbin - broken link)

Bristol Palin is an adult. She is a mother and in order to teach her child about personal responsibility she needs to be the one who is responsible for him. While I am sure her mother would not let her live on the streets, or starve to death, it is her responsibility to provide for herself and her child.

Everything we do has consequences. The worst lesson we can teach our children is that we will ALWAYS be there to pick up the pieces when they mess up. We need to support their decisions, but they have to OWN those decisions. Bristol Palin made a decision to engage in adult activities and wound up with adult problems. It's her responsibility to take care of herself no matter how much her parents make.

Being rich does not obligate parents to support their children into adulthood.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,477,674 times
My parents would probably be considered wealthy. They bought me a mattress for my graduation present and wished me luck, I've done just fine. They don't owe ME any of THEIR money.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:58 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,897,856 times
Sarah shouldn't have to support her daughter. Bristol is an adult now.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,629,167 times
I have mixed feelings about this, although of course we don't know the full story. On the one hand Bristol has opted to take on adult responsibilities and an adult life, and it does sound like her parents are helping out a little. At the same time it's true that her situation was often used during the campaign to highlight Palin's "family values" platform. Bristol seems to be benefiting from it too, though, as most single teen mothers don't get to fly to NYC to attend benefits, or engage in other high profile (and presumably at least some of them paid) activities.. She seems to be doing fine, and if she was at this point in time really ready to take on college full-time there are options out there to help her to do that. Most young single mothers can't give paid interviews or photo shoots, or write a book (I have no idea if she's doing that or if she did and I missed it, but I assume that she could get one out easily enough if she wanted) to help cover expenses. I think it sounds like her parents are doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting