U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,172,389 times

Advertisements

Have you tried a running bike/ balance bike? It is supposed to be an easier way for kids to learn to ride. Basically, it's a bike without pedals. You can possibly modify the bike you already have by just taking off the pedals, depending on how it's made. The concept is that the child uses their feet to run the bike, and then when they get up to speed, they can pick their feet up. This teaches them to balance on the bike in a way that they feel comfortable. Then, once they are good at balancing, you put the pedals on and teach them to pedal. You usually don't even need training wheels at all.

Popular brands:
Strider Rider Strider Running Bikes for Toddlers from Strider Sports International, Inc. - www.StriderSports.com
Skuut Skuut - Welcome to the official home of the Skuut wooden balance bike - www.skuut.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 21,113,230 times
My kids (3 boys) wanted the training wheels off by age 3. It isn't a contest though, so I would wait until they want them removed.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:12 PM

15,163 posts, read 22,109,942 times
Every child is different, I think you have to be patient, but make her do it. Just hold on and don't let go until she is ready. Both my son and daughter were terrified and refused to do it. I had to take them to a field (as another poster suggested) and hold onto the bike and not let go. It took a lot of time and patience, but we made it through and they love it. If I hadn't pushed them, they wouldn't have tried it.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:16 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,781,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Have you tried a running bike/ balance bike? It is supposed to be an easier way for kids to learn to ride. Basically, it's a bike without pedals. You can possibly modify the bike you already have by just taking off the pedals, depending on how it's made. The concept is that the child uses their feet to run the bike, and then when they get up to speed, they can pick their feet up. This teaches them to balance on the bike in a way that they feel comfortable. Then, once they are good at balancing, you put the pedals on and teach them to pedal. You usually don't even need training wheels at all.

Popular brands:
Strider Rider Strider Running Bikes for Toddlers from Strider Sports International, Inc. - www.StriderSports.com
Skuut Skuut - Welcome to the official home of the Skuut wooden balance bike - www.skuut.com
This is what I was going to suggest as well.

I think you just have to keep plugging away at it too. We don't have a very "fall friendly" yard b/c we live out in the desert and when my daughter took off her training wheels she did great for a couple of days and then we took a week or two off and she kind of had to relearn. It was a bit daunting to her b/c what counts as grass out here is scratchy at best and there is not much of it -more weeds and goatheads.

If you have a spot where the grass is soft and you can do it every day, I would try to stick to it.

Also, we have a Dairy Queen 3.5 miles from our house and a small shopping center about 2 miles away (that has a restaurant that sells shakes). The prize for training wheels coming off has been to ride down to get a blizzard or shake, and to be included in occasional bike rides with Daddy to DQ or to get a shake.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:46 PM

897 posts, read 2,173,343 times
son learned on a really little bike at a birthday party when he was 4 -came home took off his training wheels and he was off- I think daughter was 5 or 5 1/2-

Old 05-07-2010, 03:11 PM

2,838 posts, read 9,101,356 times
They were both about 6, I think. My son may have been 5.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:39 PM

833 posts, read 4,483,211 times
My oldest was just 2 weeks shy of his 5th birthday without training wheels.
My second was 6 1/2 years old without training wheels.

It took my oldest and I leaving the house to go for a bike ride WITHOUT my youngest to make my youngest buckle down and motivate himself to ride without training wheels. He did it within a few days. We highly suggested he wear jeans for the first month or so so skinned knees were minimized.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 PM

20,494 posts, read 14,078,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One of our 8 year olds just taught herself and took off but the other girl is still deathly afraid of falling and just won't try. Three different patient adults who have had experience with teaching kids how to ride have worked with her. The bike is definitely the right size and she has helmet, knee and elbow pads and knows she is the only kid of the block who won't even try.

Even the 4 year old down the street has taken off his trasining wheels. I don't want to shame her but I'm very frustrated that she just won't try. I know she would love it once she gets the hang of it.

Any suggestions other than just leave her alone?
If she really cares about riding the bike w/o training wheels, she will, if she is content with training wheels and is not concerned about taking them off, then she won't.

One of my boys was really wanting to ride a bike, he was 4 1/2 years old and riding the neighbor kid's training bike, so Ihad to run out and get him his own bike. The training wheels came off in a few weeks. My other kids were <meh> and were satisfied up until age 6 or 7 before finally caring take them off.

Let her go at her own pace, she is not all that fired up about bike riding, peer pressure is not a concern either. You have an independent young girl, who does things at her own leisure. This can be a good trait, as opposed to feeling they need to cave under pressure, for things they do not want to do. It may mean she will have fewer ulcers as an adult. LOL.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:58 PM

36,493 posts, read 44,468,523 times
It's funny to watch her try. A younger and better running friend was helping her when she was about 4 car lengths completely on her own before she realized it and I started yelling "You're doing it. You're doing it!" Then she froze and put both feet down. Wish I had kept my big mouth shut but I was so excited for her. After that she refused to even try.

She keeps looking at her feet, won't look up and can't keep pedalling(sp) for more than 2 or 3 rotations.

About 5 months ago they both decided they were ready to toss the training wheels which we did and sister just took off but this one is content to run along beside her.

I won't pressure her and maybe try again in the grass next time. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:03 AM

216 posts, read 616,523 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting