U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 PM

624 posts, read 912,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
It seems to me that you have contempt for people who think differently than you and who question your assertions, which by the way, have no supportive research trailing behind.

I will not engage with you.
Umm.... I don't care if you don't spank. My responses have been due to people coming up with crazy ideas that spanking is wrong and is bad for the kids.

Supporting research below. Enjoy!

Some Kids Are Never Spanked - Do They Turn Out Better? - NurtureShock Blog - Newsweek.com

I am sure you along with all the other non spankers will have no response just like the last time this came up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM

624 posts, read 912,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I will not engage with you.
Just by posting this you are engaging with me!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,305 times
hell ill call 911

Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 PM

3,008 posts, read 1,849,800 times
I'm a spanker, but this is child abuse. Only a parent should spank, only a couple of swats, only between the ages of 3 and 6 (younger than 3, they are still babies, and older than 6, they have more capacity for reason and other forms of punishment can be effective).

This woman needs to protect her child. She needs to contact an attorney, file for divorce and get a protective restraining order, since it is clear that her moronic husband does not understand that he should never EVER allow his daughter to enter, and win, a power struggle with his new wife -- he is not husband material. I don't think anyone would condone spanking a baby, but even if the child were older, an angry bratty teenager is NOT someone who should be in charge of discipline. It also sounds like the teen is jealous of the baby.

This whole situation is disgusting. I am sick of women who will put their children's welfare on the line in order to get plugged by something in pants.

Last edited by chattypatty; 08-15-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM

22,167 posts, read 12,990,379 times
There's something going on in that family and the 15-year-old spanking the 15-month-old is just a symptom. We could probably start with jealousy of the "new" baby on the 15-year-old's part. And then there's Dad sticking up for the child from the first relationship/marriage instead of working with his wife. The 15-year-old is arguing with the new wife. The dad seems to be interested more in having a no-cost baby sitter than what is in the best interest of his infant.

Everybody in the family is in on this mess. And the 15-month-old who is getting beaten because it's stuck with a 15-year-old half-sibling with issues is the looser. Big time. Horrible situation and the whole family needs an outsider who will sort through this mess and reach a solution that keeps the baby safe from the teenager.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM

7,508 posts, read 2,146,859 times
I talked to my sister in law about this, and her husband, my brother, doesn't believe that a 15 month old baby should not be spanked but a little slap on the hand is ok. I do believe in spanking but this is too early to spank a child.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,600,777 times
Anyone read the book To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl? They describe switching their four month old daughter because she wouldn't keep off of the stairs, they advise you to leave a toddler with a toy, let him become entertained with the toy, then call his name and if he does not respond, swat him on the bare leg..these are just two of many examples. To me, that's sick. Switching a baby because she's exploring the home? Not okay. And I'm not even anti-spanking..

Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 AM

7,939 posts, read 9,691,469 times
Spanking, to me, is completely unnecessary at any age if you have any iota of parenting skills...but 15 MONTHS???!!! That is downright criminal.

Some people should just not be able to breed. Pretty sad that a license is required to be able to catch a fish, but anybody can breed without limitation.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 AM

3,008 posts, read 1,849,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Anyone read the book To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl? They describe switching their four month old daughter because she wouldn't keep off of the stairs, they advise you to leave a toddler with a toy, let him become entertained with the toy, then call his name and if he does not respond, swat him on the bare leg..these are just two of many examples. To me, that's sick. Switching a baby because she's exploring the home? Not okay. And I'm not even anti-spanking..
What does this have to do with anything? Btw, a four month old cannot crawl, so wouldn't be able to go up stairs . . . Are you sure you are accurately depicting this book's content?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:43 AM

7,939 posts, read 9,691,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
What does this have to do with anything? Btw, a four month old cannot crawl, so wouldn't be able to go up stairs . . . Are you sure you are accurately depicting this book's content?
By the sounds of the horrible reviews this book receives, I think her description of such a horrifying book is accurate. The fact that there are people like the Pearls out there is scary in my opinion....

Amazon.com: To Train Up A Child (9781892112002): Michael Pearl, Debi Pearl: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting