U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 AM

786 posts, read 4,227,438 times

Advertisements

I disagree with most of the replies. When I go to class reunions the kids that were insiders and very self confident are doing better now as Adults. The kids who were social outcasts were doing better when IT was big but now the IT people are mostly from foreign countries.

Confidence as a kid= confidence as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 01:41 PM

550 posts, read 2,541,006 times
So can you answer the main question please? Does he want to change? Is his appearance making him not like himself or is this just your personal worry?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:02 PM

166 posts, read 427,362 times
I am really shocked by some of the replies to this! Just because this young person is a nerd doesn't mean there is something wrong with them. Some of you make it sound like that is a bad thing. Bill Gates was a nerd. He seems to be doing fine. Most of us prefer geek to nerd.

I think what is more of a concern is whether or not this child is being bullied. That should be the immediate concern. Befriend this child and get them talking so you can find out what they feel about the situation. Are they depressed or angry or scared? Or do they just really enjoy learning and because of their intellect they don't want to engage in the ridiculousness of high school.

The most important thing is for this child to feel that they have YOU to come to and that they can trust you.

Good luck,

TecWmn

Old 10-07-2007, 10:52 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,686,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I think one of the most difficult things for a parent is seeing that their son or daughter does not fit in. I have a relative who is a 13 year old who is a real nice boy but he is a serious nerd. I was told he has no friends at school and the other kids like to pick on him or just ignore him. He is out of touch with the other kids at school and does not fit in.

What can be done about children who are nerds?
I can imagine how hard it must be for this kid. Has anyone asked him what he wants? He might be able to provide an answer.

Is he unusually smart? Can he be moved to a different school (maybe private)? Although, he may not fit in anywhere he is... Can he participate in sports or an extracurricular activity to help his social skills? Does he look like a nerd? Can you take him on a shopping trip with a "cool" relative who can pick out his clothes (if he'll let you)? I heard karate class is a good self-esteem booster... just throwing ideas out...

I don't know if I would advocate that he try to fit in. I might advocate that he find a kindred spirit... a fellow "nerd" because he is who he is, no? I would probably put him in something that he liked, that involved other kids with the same interest.

Just my two cents....

Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 AM

1,562 posts, read 3,831,623 times
Depends on if he's a nerd or a geek. To me a nerd is someone who is smart, works to the bone to make sure he gets the good grades to the point of being socially awkward because most of the time is spent on school. Geek however can be nerdy, but not neccesary, and also like computer oriented tasks. I'm a self proffessed geek, I have friends but I only go out and actually do things every once in a while.

However, I think people forget that anyone that is into online gaming also fosters online friends, which is as real as any "real life" friend is.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:39 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,036,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You could be describing what my son was like at 13. Today he is an extremely well to do owner of a very successful computer program design business. Sort of sad to see of the the "cool guys" from his class still working for miniumum wages at 40.
Yep. Bill Gates was a nerd too and now he makes $4,000 an hour - literally in interest on his money. Grammar school and middle school are the most difficult years for kids like this. Due to a larger student population, most kids can find kids like themselves in high school to be friends with. And then in college, there's always someone like us. He'll be fine. If he's being bullied or harrassed, that needs to be remedied. But if he is a happy loner, I wouldn't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or