Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 12:22 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,162 times

Advertisements

Here is the thread I created over there. It pertains to divorce and custody in Massachusetts. I'm wondering what others here experienced, or how they dealt with a similar situation.

If spouse and I agreed to X amount of child support last summer, since my income has increased since then can she make me pay "back pay" (I'm not behind on child support payments), the difference being what the court had initially recommended and what she and I agreed to? Or would she have to file a motion for modification of child support as it currently is?

Since I am inching ever closer to getting something more with my son than just supervised visitation (I've really done a 180 degree turn-around in my life since my wife and son left me), she seems to be getting more and more desperate.

It seems that everytime I make progress toward my goal of shared physical custody, she just stops answering the phone for awhile (meaning I can't speak to my son).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
I dunno about mass, but in my state payments can only be held as retroactive to the date filed for modification.

My suggestion.... contact your local child support office. Talk to them. Set up an appointment. They are not just there to go after NCPs who do not pay, but they are there to help keep child support business like. If you and your exwife have an agreement, they can put it in a court order that can be reassessed every 3 years or 15% change in circumstance.

If you have been handing her cash for child support... STOP. Use check or money order so that you can prove the payments... the best idea is to have it withdrawn from your check and sent to her through the child support office.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:36 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
Here is the thread I created over there. It pertains to divorce and custody in Massachusetts. I'm wondering what others here experienced, or how they dealt with a similar situation.

If spouse and I agreed to X amount of child support last summer, since my income has increased since then can she make me pay "back pay" (I'm not behind on child support payments), the difference being what the court had initially recommended and what she and I agreed to? Or would she have to file a motion for modification of child support as it currently is?

Since I am inching ever closer to getting something more with my son than just supervised visitation (I've really done a 180 degree turn-around in my life since my wife and son left me), she seems to be getting more and more desperate.

It seems that everytime I make progress toward my goal of shared physical custody, she just stops answering the phone for awhile (meaning I can't speak to my son).
What do you mean by " I make progres toward my goal of shared physical custody? Just do it. What are you waiting for? If you believe your a good dad take her to court and tell the judge you want to have shared custody.
Why are your visits supervised?
How old is your son?
When you do go to court dont bad mouth the other parent.
There is more to this story than your posting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting